How will Martinez`s tenure be remembered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad to say one of my most memorable Everton games was the mike walker Wimbledon game, so I have to say martinez will be remembered by me as the worst, most damaging and embarrassing Everton manager to have managed in my lifetime.

I agree he has to go now.

But, there will be some fond memories...the brown shoes, bringing Kendall and Royle back into the fold.

And...playing Arsenal off the pitch for 45 minutes at The Emirates before dismantling them for 90 at Goodison. One of the best footballing performances since the glory days of the mid 1980s.

Last edited:
I'm going to be exceedingly fair here...probably wrongly. But I'm at peace with the expectation he'll be gone soon, and the season is over.

He gave us hope and pride. Which then he proved unable to deliver on, which turned us all towards anger and despair. However, largely due to the first season, when he was whispering sweet nothings in our ears and backing it up with results, he gave us a semblance of PRIDE back. Under Moyes and Kenwright we had stagnated. We were happy trying for cups, hoping for a 4th place finish, and being the 'best of the rest'. We are no longer there. We want silverware, and anything else is unacceptable. Which is precisely how it should be for Everton. 21 years without a trophy. We had every potential of learning to accept that we just can't and won't compete.

While Martinez is simply not good enough, he did, through relentless, grating, frustrating positivity remind us that Everton are winners, not also rans. Which is precisely why he isn't good enough for us. Too many were happy with 'punching above our weight' and finishing 6-8 every season. Now, confusingly, our expectations are higher. This is his positive impact.

The other way to remember him is that he simply is not a very good man manager, and he's utterly terrible with defensive tactics and should never darken our dressing room again.

I feel both of those are true. The dichotomy of Martinez: Creates hope and belief. Fails to deliver. Exits. Hopefully we show that pride and expectation and get someone in that can end our drought.

This is how i see it.

rarwvk.jpg

I'm going to be exceedingly fair here...probably wrongly. But I'm at peace with the expectation he'll be gone soon, and the season is over.

He gave us hope and pride. Which then he proved unable to deliver on, which turned us all towards anger and despair. However, largely due to the first season, when he was whispering sweet nothings in our ears and backing it up with results, he gave us a semblance of PRIDE back. Under Moyes and Kenwright we had stagnated. We were happy trying for cups, hoping for a 4th place finish, and being the 'best of the rest'. We are no longer there. We want silverware, and anything else is unacceptable. Which is precisely how it should be for Everton. 21 years without a trophy. We had every potential of learning to accept that we just can't and won't compete.

While Martinez is simply not good enough, he did, through relentless, grating, frustrating positivity remind us that Everton are winners, not also rans. Which is precisely why he isn't good enough for us. Too many were happy with 'punching above our weight' and finishing 6-8 every season. Now, confusingly, our expectations are higher. This is his positive impact.

The other way to remember him is that he simply is not a very good man manager, and he's utterly terrible with defensive tactics and should never darken our dressing room again.

I feel both of those are true. The dichotomy of Martinez: Creates hope and belief. Fails to deliver. Exits. Hopefully we show that pride and expectation and get someone in that can end our drought.

Nah, I honestly think if we'd finished top 8 in all 3 seasons he'd still be much loved.

His career in the limelight gone full circle - started with an injury time winner in the cup final for Wigan - ended with a similar event today..
Now join the John Gregory's and Peter Taylor's of years gone by...

Nah, I honestly think if we'd finished top 8 in all 3 seasons he'd still be much loved.
Eh, I'm drowning my sorrows, so may well be overly kind to him. And maybe the positive attitudes are Moshiri's.

But I don't remember honestly having a secret hope we could bring in Mourinho before. We had become "Moyes' Everton", Stoke, but for the brilliant management of Moyes. At least to any non-Evertonian, and I'd say quite a few blues. Now though? At least internally we have hope that things are legitimately changing for the better.

Fast start attractive play. Dunce in defense. Dances pretty good on the sidelines but whines to much. I am sure a nice bloke but just can't cut it for us lost the dressing room.

Like Star Wars - the first installment (original trilogy) was phenomenal, a complete breath of fresh air. But then it was followed by abject garbage (prequel trilogy). Hopefully our next manager takes us back to the past glories (sequel trilogy).
too much kronenburg to follow that mate, are we good again yet???

Status
Not open for further replies.