Has anyone noticed we haven't been playing well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

We haven't been focussed enough. Shredding teams going forward on a consistent basis, but let down by lapses in concentration at the back by senior pros. The senior pros need to take leadership of this and set markers down as this not being good enough. It hasn't been the tactics, it hasn't been us being outplayed, it hasn't even really been team selection, but what it has been is the players letting down the manager and the fans, and they need to take ownership of this and move forward. Solidify the defence and with how we have been going forward, we'll get top four.

Liberal application of Sawdust from Martinez required.
Serious answer to a sarcastic thread @Prevenger17

I don't know if this has been said yet, but we really haven't been performing well as of late. Does anyone have any opinions on why this might be?

OK.

I was going to start a thread posing the question what is different in the early stages of this season compared to last season but I will pose it on this one instead.

But first ket me just say I don't think we are playing all that badly.....we are just indulging in moments of madness which are proving to be highly damaging.

We were great for long periods at Leicester...and we now know how hard they are to play against given their subsequent performances.

We had Arsenal on the ropes for most of that game.......we came back very well against Cheksea after a calamitous opening five minutes.....and Palace couldn't get a kick at the ball yesterday up until that bizarre penno and Tim taking the heebie jeebies.

If Ossie had taken his chance just before they equalised it might have been a cricket score.

But back to the question of what has changed in the opening games of this season.

Last season I was always very impressed with how the team reacted to conceding a goal.

If we scored first and the other team equalised, we usually kicked again and scored another goal or two.

If the other team scored first we put it up to them as at Arsenal or in the Goodison derby.

It's the opposite this season.

When the other team scores we seem to panic.

The minute Arsenal scored their first an equaliser appeared inevitable.

It us all very sad.

we're second top scorers in the league behind a team who are ripping everyone in front of them.

we also scored 4 against one of the best teams in germany. i agree that the performances haven't been at their best, but outscoring teams like city, united and arsenal given their attacking options so far is very promising, just think how it will be when we start stringing the results together, we'll go on a run at some point during this season, maybe after the united game - as we have a lot of the top 7 out of the way already.

just need to cut out these cock-ups from experienced players that would make sunday league players embarassed.

We've been clinical going forward however that's not the same as playing well.

We've had some awesome moves that we've either scored from or created a brilliant chance but most of the time we seem to do a lot of probing with no end product and as a result team pick us off. Ironically the game we looked most dangerous was the one we didn't have most of the possession.

I think that's just a result of where football tactics are going in general - it's not 2011 and Barca aren't the best anymore.

How do we solve it? We need to mix it up, get more overlaps, stretch the defence. Put some byline [Poor language removed] crosses in. Only when we did that against Palace did we look to threaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.