Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Gibson but he is a crock. If he got fit and stayed fit he'd be one hell of an asset to us the way we play now if only to be able to rotate with Barry and McCarthy to avoid any of them being burnt out later in the season.

Gibsons a better player than either, comfortably. Just can't stay fit.

Mate i rate gibson highly but that statement is completely absurd, to say he was a more incisive passer and distributor is one thing to try make out hes comfortably a better player than either is just plain wrong

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2013/12/06/barry-eyes-everton-stay

Gareth Barry has indicated he is ready to stay at Everton beyond the end of this season.

The midfielder's Goodison Park loan deal is set to expire next summer, when his existing contract with parent club Manchester City will also come to an end.

Barry has so far started all but one of Everton's games since joining in September - the clash with parent club City for which he was ineligible due to Barclays Premier League rules.

That run has seen him contribute towards seven wins, while Roberto Martinez's men are yet to lose in the league when he has been present in the side.

Martinez said on Friday he would expect to hold discussions over Barry's future at the end of the season and the 32-year-old England international is keen to ensure he shows his importance to his current manager's long-term plans.

Barry said: "Personally, it's a really strange situation, I've never had it before. In January you can start discussing your future for next season but I think the Club made it clear that they would probably like to discuss things at the end of the season and if I put in fantastic performances from here until then, then that puts me in a good position.

"I'm really enjoying it and I'm as excited now as I was when I signed because I've got a feel for the Club, I'm enjoying working under the manager and the coaching staff here, the training is fantastic and the style of the play the manager wants us to play is really enjoyable, so I'm really excited for the rest of the season.

"A lot of people have spoken to me and said you could have so many options going into your last year but, for me, now it's just about playing for Everton, keeping a good run of form going and taking it from there."

Gareth Barry James McCarthy
Martinez has been impressed with the way Barry has marshalled the likes of James McCarthy

Barry also revealed summer speculation linking him with a move to current league leaders Arsenal was not too far wide of the mark.

The Gunners eventually re-signed their former midfielder Mathieu Flamini before Barry made his deadline-day switch to Merseyside.

Everton head to Emirates Stadium to tackle Arsene Wenger's in-form side on Sunday but do so on the back of Wednesday's stunning victory at reigning champions Manchester United.

"There was a bit of contact with Arsenal and they were interested but I think they went down the road with [Mathieu] Flamini," said Barry.

"If I'm being honest, they [Arsenal] have sort of surprised me, the way they're playing, the way they're being relentless in winning games. Their style of football hasn't changed but some of their players are at the top of their form.

"But the lads in the dressing room can go down to Arsenal now and play with no fear, believing we can put in another performance like we did at Old Trafford. The win there takes a lot of pressure off us and we'll be going down to London looking to do a similar sort of job."

He was ****ing mustard today Barry. Such a disciplined performance and brings fantastic balance to the team. McCarthy must think its ****ing Christmas every game playing and learning from him.

He's a recent trophy winner.
The manager is a recent trophy winner.

Success breeds success.

A fine point this.

Very important to have the experienced winners, confidence trickling down to motivate the youth. Just look at Fergie's United for 20 years. Even John O'Shea won titles because of the winning mentality at that club.

Hodgson was there today , I tell you what , I'd want him on the plane if I was the manager

He'd be in my squad for Brazil ahead of ANY other English centre midfielder at the moment.

He's fantastic every single week.

I don't think I've seen him play badly for us once.

He'd be in my squad for Brazil ahead of ANY other English centre midfielder at the moment.

He's fantastic every single week.

I don't think I've seen him play badly for us once.

Because he hasn't.

If we win something soon, he'll be a big reason why.

Status
Not open for further replies.