Frank Wignall - Happy Birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed Frank for my book a couple of months ago. He had some very interesting stories from his Everton days. HC was not fond of Frank hence the reason he left

I interviewed Frank for my book a couple of months ago. He had some very interesting stories from his Everton days. HC was not fond of Frank hence the reason he left
Not many blues players got on with HC - Alex Young the Golden vision was one of them - He was a strict disciplinarian, and was never on the training ground much!

Yes it was all a bit after the Lords Mayors show ( think that used to be the saying) like after beating the r/s in the previous round, nice seeing Mogsie there.
What a great underrated winger he was, never shows up back at Goodison shame he was a great player for us cost £10,000 from the other lot and we got ten seasons out of him a deceptive hard winger who dished it out when we played Leeds!
His skill levels were magnificent he had a good shot could beat a man with ease and put the ball on Joe Royle's head - made a lot of his goals.

Yes a brilliant winger Moggsie, I think he was another one who won one England cap, late on in his career. He was also just about the hardest man who ever walked onto a football pitch, he was, according to Tony Book of Man City, the first winger he ever met who gave the full back a kicking. I loved Moggsie, he won 2 league titles with us as well

Yes a brilliant winger Moggsie, I think he was another one who won one England cap, late on in his career. He was also just about the hardest man who ever walked onto a football pitch, he was, according to Tony Book of Man City, the first winger he ever met who gave the full back a kicking. I loved Moggsie, he won 2 league titles with us as well

Didn't he get done for having a garage full of stolen fags? (Allegedly)

Looking at that film, you cam almost taste the atmosphere typical of those days, when cup ties were THE big games and frequently sell outs in the early stages, never mind the quarters and semis. Probably about 40,000 that day, with 3 of the 4 sides being standing only. Unforgettable days.

True. There are definitely not enough pitch invasions these days ! Most invasions then were pretty harmless, due to exuberance and not malicious. All part of the experience! Never forget, when i was a kid, the smell of whisky and cigar smoke at the Christmas game...used to go in the old paddock then....remember Bessie Braddock sitting on the front of the directors box like a buddha, and playing Spurs with Danny Blanchflower, someone put a box of Shredded Wheat on the centre spot(he was in an advert at the time).Once before a game against Wolves, we had a drink with what we thought was a Wolves fan in the Blue House. twenty to three, he says 'I'd better go now'....turned out it was Norman Deeley, the Wolves winger......those really WERE the days !!

Not many blues players got on with HC - Alex Young the Golden vision was one of them - He was a strict disciplinarian, and was never on the training ground much!

Yet still one of our greatest managers.......he built 2 title winning sides.....

I think his 'cap' was for The Football League Team, which that year was managed by Alf Ramsey. This was a sort of end of the season MVP type 'honour'

And hard as well, Smith, Big Jack and all the other so called hard men knew not to mess with Mogsey.... pity about the tins of salmon and cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.