Frank Wignall - Happy Birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngblue66

Player Valuation: £750k
Bvidyp8IIAA3s1e.jpg:large

Born 21.08.1939. Some good players in this picture. Happy days.

My main memory of Wignall was a bad one -- him scoring for Notts Forest to knock us out the cup (3-2) some time in the mid-60s (1967?). Forest had a good winger in those days who also did us damage that day - Ian Storey-Moore.

Yes it was 67, Storey-Moore absolutely destroyed us in the second half, we had been in the lead and seemingly cruising at half time I think. I remember thinking on the way back to Liverpool that we had thrown it away, some player Storey-Moore though, I think he scored twice that day.

My main memory of Wignall was a bad one -- him scoring for Notts Forest to knock us out the cup (3-2) some time in the mid-60s (1967?). Forest had a good winger in those days who also did us damage that day - Ian Storey-Moore.

He was a good forward who HC just let go to easily - like he did with so many others Labone stated HC was great in getting good/great players , but had an uncanny knack of letting players go to easy Collins and Ball for example - Happy Birthday Frank Wignall

Yes it was 67, Storey-Moore absolutely destroyed us in the second half, we had been in the lead and seemingly cruising at half time I think. I remember thinking on the way back to Liverpool that we had thrown it away, some player Storey-Moore though, I think he scored twice that day.
. Yes he did mate. Bad bad day that.

Like I said a bad day, but thanks for putting it up
Yes we must have had a under strength team - Andy Rankin in goal - Joe Royle missing - I noticed Alan Ball started both our goals his pass for the first goal for us was sublime -, Sandy Brown playing at no 10 -
Other players they had Henry Newton who we signed many years later, and Alan Hinton came on for them as sub - went on to do great things as a winger /inside forward with Derby County under Clough!
I notice Labby had a bad day at the office in that game too!

Yes we must have had a under strength team - Andy Rankin in goal - Joe Royle missing - I noticed Alan Ball started both our goals his pass for the first goal for us was sublime -, Sandy Brown playing at no 10 -
Other players they had Henry Newton who we signed many years later, and Alan Hinton came on for them as sub - went on to do great things as a winger /inside forward with Derby County under Clough!
I notice Labby had a bad day at the office in that game too!
Yes it was all a bit after the Lords Mayors show ( think that used to be the saying) like after beating the r/s in the previous round, nice seeing Mogsie there.

Yes it was all a bit after the Lords Mayors show ( think that used to be the saying) like after beating the r/s in the previous round, nice seeing Mogsie there.

Happy Birthday Frank!

No disgrace to lose to that Forest side by the way. They also had John Barnwell and Joe Baker and finished runners-up to Man Utd in the league as well as narrowly losing to Spurs in the FA Cup semi-final.

Looking at that film, you cam almost taste the atmosphere typical of those days, when cup ties were THE big games and frequently sell outs in the early stages, never mind the quarters and semis. Probably about 40,000 that day, with 3 of the 4 sides being standing only. Unforgettable days.

Status
Not open for further replies.