Fans booed and wanted Howard Kendall sacked in Jan 83/84

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only thing wrong with your post is that he didnt sign Stones + Naismith isnt really a young player...

Other than that I concur.

Good point to your post and also if Man U supporters got their way, Ferguson would of gotten the sack in 1989.

Point is, club chairmen shouldn’t listen to fans calling for the manager to be sacked if they truly feel they have a manager with a vision, plan and the know all to execute said plan because let’s be honest, most fans are not pragmatic, they think with their heart. They think of what’s happening to the club now instead of what will happen long term is you sack said manager and to me that’s no way to run a football club.

In looking to sacking a manager, a chairman has to look at the big picture; he has to look long term the pros and cons of sacking a manager. You can’t sack a manager at the first sign of panic because moves made out of desperation never pan out well because there simply not thought out and usually there’s no plan behind what you want out of the manager because your making decisions on the panic and whim. As a chairmen, you have to have patience with your manager unless all options have been exhausted where you have no choice but to sack him.

Were not at the point.

Look at Spurs for instance, who are the kings of making moves out of desperation. Anytime a manager hits a rough patch or it not giving results that are living up to the expectations of Chairman Daniel Levy, he gets canned whatever it’s justified or not and what exactly has that gotten them? No recent trophies, one CL place years ago and despite the money they spent and the managers they have changed, there still in the EL for the second year in a row and to Spurs fans who are as unrealistic as it can get, them competing in the EL again is like the end of the world to those people.

Point being is running a club that’s a coaching carousel at the first sight at trouble rarely does any good in the short term as when you make change after change in that position, you lose any sort of real cohesion with the players and you can't gather positive results for long periods of time when plans and visions of managers gets jettison simply on a whim on a daily basis and in my opinion damages the club in the long run because what manager wants to go to a club where he can get sacked within a year if he doesn’t give his chairmen flawless results match after match?

Managers want to work in a positive environment where there free to manage the how they see fit if they can and not one where the chairman of the club is breathing down your neck after every loss like he’s the grim reaper (unless there working in a club always in relegation troubles, then that's a different story).

I mean, we make fun of Spurs all the time on how they change managers at the first sight of trouble and really have no plan or vision for what they want they the club to be when they make said change and is that what some on here want Everton to become? Sacking the manager every other year or so because their results isn't on par to what you want them to be even though your expectations could be unrealistic or sacking the manager when he even gets into a hint of danger? I sure as hell don't as it rarely leads to anything good.

I get the frustrations as I’m very frustrated myself with how doss Everton has played in the PL this year. We played one of the worst matches of the year against a beat up Southampton squad, allowed those muppets from Stoke to push us around in our own building and we just looked like a team against Newcastle where we didn’t want to be there. Most importantly, i'm frustrated at how we can look really good in the EL and beat some quality opponent and play the exact opposite in the league, but most teams go through these type of situations in a given season and unless the situation get really out of hand, then it’s wise not to pull the trigger on the manager and let’s be honest, the situation isn’t as dire as we think it is.

Were not going to get relegated as regardless of our current form, I think there are clubs in the PL much worse like Burnley and QPR who will get the drop before us to be honest. All what’s up in the air is if were qualifying for Europe or not and if we were to fire Martinez, there’s not a manager out there that we can afford to bring here that can guarantee us a bid in Europe for 2015-16. Sure someone like Tony Pulis could help us finish midtable, but that’s about it.

That’s the key in all this, that your able to find a manager out there who is a realistic upgrade over the man you just sacked because the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. I think with some fans they believe that sacking the manager will upgrade the team no matter what because it’s a new face running the team. That’s not always the case and sometimes it can make the situation worse.

I don’t believe in sacking Martinez because with the young players he has brought in like Lukaku, Besic, Stones, McCarthy along with the young players already here like Naismith, Barkley and Mirallas that’s he’s building something positive for the future. I really think we got one here. Given that and the work he’s done last year, I believe in him and believe he should be given the time to see his work out.

I believe in Martinez because I feel he’s the right man for the job, not because I’m afraid of change because in many instances I welcome change to players and managers if I feel the situation is in dire need of a shakeup.

Sorry for the long post, just had a lot to say on the subject.

Tl;dr

-I agree with what the person who started this thread about sacking managers

-It’s not good to pull the trigger on the manager at the first sign of panic because you don’t know what will happen.

-I’m backing the manager

without a doubt, we still got to the final which has been the biggest achievement for us in the past decade. Only this time it was losing to Chelsea. Last time we won a trophy I hadn't even turned 1 years old.
I feel for you! I am fortunate that I was a young lad going the match occasionally with me dad in 85 - never imagined then how our fortunes would turn out. I went the cup final in 95 and assumed another trophy or two would follow. Looking back I wish I'd made more of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.