Everton: The Next Arsenal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigmaclad

No mate
I've been thinking, and have come up with this idea; is Moyes making us like Arsenal? Let me explain...

In the last two seasons or so we have started to play a lot more football, I've seen some people call us the 'poor man's arsenal' as we try to play football but have no end result (very frustratingly!)
Then you look at the age of our squad, Fellaini is only 21 or so, Rodwell the same, Anichebe is 22, Coleman 21, Bily is young too I'm sure, Heitinga is 25. Lots of the centre of our squad are young and will grow and develop together (as Arsenal have)

Now to his recent signings, all young players, Wenger never spends money on big players, but does like to sign young players and bed them in slowly, Moyesy has signed Dier, the greek kid, Gueye, Silva, Garbutt not long ago and Mustafi. This could mean he is building for the future, like Wenger, and this means that his transfer kitty should (although unlikely) grow...

However, there is a slight problem with this, I'm not too sure Moyes is willing enough to play the young players, when we had no centrebacks he plays Hibbert, instead of Mustafi or Duffy, and take Gueye for example, do I really need to explain that?

And then you look at Arsenals team, they are probably a really top class keeper from winning the league, and you look at us, we are probably a high class striker and a pacy winger away from top 4. Yet more similarities...

So, the future is bright in blue, lets see what these youngsters bring if given the chance, could we be the next Arsenal?

We're exactly like Arsenal... minus the massive stadium, the international brand and the tactically-sound and ballsy manager.

I like your optimism though. The present's pretty bleak, so let's hope the future's bright.

the next olympique lyonnais could work. liked the post guess we just have different teams in our thoughts. maybe not in terms of playing style but in policy. but i am not so sure we are that way inclined.

I've been thinking, and have come up with this idea; is Moyes making us like Arsenal? Let me explain...

In the last two seasons or so we have started to play a lot more football, I've seen some people call us the 'poor man's arsenal' as we try to play football but have no end result (very frustratingly!)
Then you look at the age of our squad, Fellaini is only 21 or so, Rodwell the same, Anichebe is 22, Coleman 21, Bily is young too I'm sure, Heitinga is 25. Lots of the centre of our squad are young and will grow and develop together (as Arsenal have)

Now to his recent signings, all young players, Wenger never spends money on big players, but does like to sign young players and bed them in slowly, Moyesy has signed Dier, the greek kid, Gueye, Silva, Garbutt not long ago and Mustafi. This could mean he is building for the future, like Wenger, and this means that his transfer kitty should (although unlikely) grow...

However, there is a slight problem with this, I'm not too sure Moyes is willing enough to play the young players, when we had no centrebacks he plays Hibbert, instead of Mustafi or Duffy, and take Gueye for example, do I really need to explain that?

And then you look at Arsenals team, they are probably a really top class keeper from winning the league, and you look at us, we are probably a high class striker and a pacy winger away from top 4. Yet more similarities...

So, the future is bright in blue, lets see what these youngsters bring if given the chance, could we be the next Arsenal?

In theory, yes...

But Moyes wont play them, so probably not

Hes more like Ferguson, buys young strlets with potential then releases them a few years later, largely untested...

Although, Ferguson shows more faith in his youngsters... They get chances to do it, and if they dont show enough, he will sell them, but he goes further to build them up first, to get a decent fee for them, where Moyes does nothing of the sort, instead devaluing them to the point where afterwards their confidence is shot...

We could easily name a team of promising youngsters Moyes has done this to, and as ive said before, the people who say "what have they done since they left?" in defence of Moyes, its the opportunity to progress and confidence/belief instilled by the manager, as much as anything else that enables these players to grow from potential to star.

But Moyes balances chances with a caution that if he doesnt play his experienced plyers, we will surely fail and it will reflect bady on him... Which is fine, when we win anyway, but when we play crap with the experienced heads, what is there to lose by changing it up and trying something new?

Last edited:
I agree with you. Look at the amount of ex-United trainees who are still plying their trade in the top two divisions: Greening, Eagles, Higginbottom, Richardson, Bardsley, Frazier Campbell... Fergie would rather develop a player than go out and buy someone, even though he has the resources to do so. Wenger could buy a striker or a goalkeeper if he so wished as well, but he'd rather bring players through with the club ethos running through them like a stick of rock.

We simply don't have cash to spend, so we've either got to sort through the jumble sale of Bosman signings, take a chance on potential or nurture our own. The youth set up does appear to be very healthy, with players like Garbutt, Barkley and Hope coming through. One of my concerns is that players from the reserve team are finding their opportunity to progress extremely limited. I can't imagine how Baxter and Duffy in particular are going to get any game time for us. I appreciate that every game is vitally important, but isn't the same also true for United and Arsenal?

The big difference is that if Arsenal bring through a Jack Wilshere or bring in a Theo Walcott they dont then go and sell them when they have half a dozen decent games after another club comes offering money for them. They can build up a new generation. We bring players through to sell, they bring them through to keep and win things.

The big difference is that if Arsenal bring through a Jack Wilshere or bring in a Theo Walcott they dont then go and sell them when they have half a dozen decent games after another club comes offering money for them. They can build up a new generation. We bring players through to sell, they bring them through to keep and win things.

I think that's a bit of a generalisation. Arsenal sold Toure, Petit, Vieira, Adebayor etc. I'm sure that Fabregas will eventually succumb to the lure of Barcelona and that Arshavin will fulfil his ambition of a similar switch. We didn't cultivate Rooney and Lescott to sell them. The players pushed for the move. I wouldn't have a problem if we did follow Arsenal's lead. However, as I've said, we need to bring players through more speedily for that to happen.

With Arse, it's a policy with a clear philosophy in mind.
With us it's a last resort

This. I would actually like to see us have more of a production line of talent. We could keep the very best and sell off the rest for the benefit of the club. We end up giving too many players away, having invested time and money developing them from a young age with the present system.

I think that's a bit of a generalisation. Arsenal sold Toure, Petit, Vieira, Adebayor etc. I'm sure that Fabregas will eventually succumb to the lure of Barcelona and that Arshavin will fulfil his ambition of a similar switch. We didn't cultivate Rooney and Lescott to sell them. The players pushed for the move. I wouldn't have a problem if we did follow Arsenal's lead. However, as I've said, we need to bring players through more speedily for that to happen.

They got value out of those players and won things before selling them. They'll win something with Fabregas, no doubt, as they're a strong force again.

Ok. Supposing that at some time we will have some money while not having mega bucks, We need someone on the scouting front with the ability of Monchi at Sevilla. Who would be a reasonable model to copy in general considering their success at bringing through youth players.

Status
Not open for further replies.