Everton Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

micknick

Player Valuation: £70m
I rarely start threads these days as the level has been raised some what. Apart from a few that Jock and Hilga boshed out recently... only joking guys- nothing but love...

As a group of fans we try and have a higher standard- the rat fink over the park diving around is looked upon with distain especially playing for them- racists down at the bridge, thugs over at United etc etc.

Players that generally come across as a bit of a snide or not quite 'Everton Standard' are sneered upon. I think thats why people had a bit of an uneasy relationship with Heitinga in the early days- like he felt he was too good for us or something. He is the one player that EVERY game is the last person to clap the crowd, show his appreciation show he is a proper Everton player- hes in.

Billy for all his inconsistency in his play always seemed a decent fella, never bad mouthed even though he could have down, was afforded more time, more affection and what I think an easier ride for his £10m price tag because he was seen as a bit more of a standard of person we look for.

I saw Baines tonight play for England, playing against the lowest ranking team in the world. They won 5-0, probably should have been more. Every time he took a corner, throw in etc he clapped the crowd- he respected the opposition he went about his business.

I saw Welbeck back heel his way through the game, I saw Cleverly laugh his way through the game, not what we would take under the Everton wing.

So is this attitude one of the things that holds us back?! I think a member recently said we need a few gits in our team or is it what makes us, us? Baines, Jags just seem decent lads as well as very good footballers, when players however good they seem are a bit of jonny come lately we give them no time at all. Its something that makes me feel proud to be a blue to be honest.

Its seemingly the prevailing attitude throughout the whole club and its fans really.

Is it a good thing? On the main yeah, however it does annoy me when you get the impression that being a nice guy, working hard and being a "Moyes type player" seems to be more important than actual talent and ability.

Nice OP Mickers, enjoyed that.

I'm glad we have the players and the attitudes they have instilled in them. They play with dignity and pride for the history of the club, that's the impression I get and what you hear from them in interviews. I think Moyes has a lot to do with keeping that attitude.

Me and davek just to name two of us say this all the time.

I'm not asking for a snide of Suarez-esque proportions - but I'd like a few more "winners" in our side who will take any professional advantage they can reasonably gain.

I'm not talking about blatant cheating; I'm talking about harassing the referee, pointing out things in the box to the referee ahead of every set piece, nullifying one of their big men by holding him down for every corner as the foul is never given, wind opposition up with snidy remarks on the sly - especially those known to throw a rash tackle.

Loads of examples that I'd prefer to see as I firmly believe it's worth two or three places in the league table over the course of a season.

I'm sick of being the "nice guys" - the media don't see us as it anyway, we're the Scouse understudies, "plucky old Everton" etc. I want to see a side who give it a go in every foreseeable way.

Thats kind of what I mean.

Nice guys come last?

Its not that straight forward but if in a world where all other teams are cheating and sniding their ways to victory its all very well taking the moral high ground but if its costing you then if you cannot win by playing fair you may just have to join them.

But where would we draw the line, how far would we go? Don't think there's any harm in our players being a bit more snidey soemtimes but certainly not to the extent of some.

Jelavic has thrown himself around a bit recently. We all hate it, we all see it as not the everton way where as they just see it as gamesmanship.

If we were right up there and he was doing it would we feel the same, I reckon on the whole we would. Born, not made.

If we did start becoming more of a snidey, diving team, would it help us reach a higher position on the table? Not sure myself. Look at Baines's reaction to scoring his pen the other day, that had winner all over his face, without the snide.

Great post mick. I like the way we are, we are not cheats or ********s. I would like to see more snide, like Jonny H's shoulder in the pen shootout or when we are fouled, instead of jumping up to shake the players hand (yeah that fooker who just tried to break your leg) then have a little word to the ref. Pienaar does this a bit, we need to play the game a bit more, bit just not like that crowd over the park Not surrounding the ref, a little word. I love people like bainsey, great pro, same with jags. The younger ones mentioned who laugh and take the p1ss through games like this are billy bigtime boys. I want to see good honest pros. Its a shame Captain Pip isnt a great player coz he's a great pro. Cahill used to give us the kind of snide I like. He's missed. xx

Everton don't have any players you'd hate if they didn't play for Everton.

Ones who get under the skin, irritate, act a bit, play a bit and it doesn't make it any better when late in the game, when he knows beat you in more than just the scoreboard, gives you a smirk. Cahill can do it, Johnny H can do it - that's it.

Baines at the penalty at Wigan - no frills, classy, shows some respect for his former club but you could easily see how jacked he was to have stroked that penalty. Can't remember the last mini-emotional outburst from Baines.

the other side of that coin is, if you try and snide/whine your way through every match, and don't get anything out of it, then you're just a pack of *****. I'd rather be midtable everton than midtable QPR.

I think Moyes has instilled a fantastic attitude into the players.
I feel that if someone goes down they do get on their feet quicker than most teams.
I think it's fair to say that we do play tenaciously most of the time but I would agree that we need more 'winners' in the team with a more positive attitude.

Good post. Always a great feel around the club and no massive ego's. How many times do you hear ex players speak so highly of their time at Goodison. Forget the cheating leave that to them over the park but do agree Jelavic has been throwing himself on the floor a bit too much recently, he doesn't need to. COYB's

Status
Not open for further replies.