Everton references in popular culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint Planet

Utter Cad.
I was just playing some Rutles stuff and it made me remember that there's a bit where we find out Roger McGough is a Blue:

[video=youtube;inkWIIPV0JY]

That got me thinking about cultural references to Everton. Where, in popular culture, do Everton appear? One the greatest ones, perhaps, was a captured Italian soldier spitting out "**** your Winston Churchill and **** your Dixie Dean" on being captured in the desert in the 2nd World War (No doubt, he promptly threw himself to the ground, clutching his shin, and writhed in agony for fourteen minutes).

The most notable example, though, must surely be the 1968 Ken Loach directed TV drama The Golden Vision.

Another instance, as I remember, was a short story by Alexei Sayle called "The Last Woman Killed in the War" in which it was noted that, pre-war, Everton were the biggest side and yet "now" Liverpool seemed to be.

Other examples? Or, indeed, comments on my own...

Last edited:

Went to see Blood Brothers in London last year and 'Everton FC' was painted on the set, Bills play like but it's the only thing I can think of.

Another instance, as I remember, was a short story by Alexei Sayle called "The Last Woman Killed in the War" in which it was noted that, pre-war, Everton were the biggest side and yet "now" Liverpool seemed to be.

Typical redsh1te revisonism trying to imply that Everton weren't the bigger side for another 25 years after the war, the turning point being around 1970 not 1945.

In Boys from the Blackstuff, Snowy Malone tells Chrissie that his father brought him up "to believe in what was good and proper." Loggo says "I didn't know your dad supported Everton".

Don't forget Harry Enfields "The Scousers" Wembley episode.

I'm not sure if this proves revisionism or whatever, but there is a clique of RS's out there doing a snow job Goebbels would be proud of.

I caught a glimpse of a trailer for a film called Istambul all about '05 and how this kid wanted to go to the final couldn't get a ticket etc happy endings all a round, get noticed by the newspapers, has headline L****p***s No 1 fan

says it all really they were from down south

RS, you always get what it says on the tin

I'd say the turning point was nearer to 1975, myself. We went toe to toe in the sixties.

Losing to panathanikos in european cup QF (away goals rule actually having dominated atGP and been cheated in Athens) on the wednesday then RS on the Saturday in FA cup semi having led at half time. April 1971. We were never the same again, sold Ball Catterick heart problems, Labone retired all in next couple of seasons while RS were on rise, high profile players like Keegan, media hype beginning in full swing and European campaigns giving massive publicity to them, we had flurries of hope with mid 70s team and the 1977-79 team was really good at times but lacked a killer instinct.

Back on thread.....play called 'Our Day Out' on TV, kids were trying to teach parrot they had 'liberated' from a zoo how to say "Everton are magic!!" Early 80s I think.
A little bit of publicity given to a poem by labour leader Michael Foot, praising Dixie Dean
Occasional mentions in the Liverbirds
Derek Hatton on Question time in mid 80s. Panel was asked if they had 1 question they could ask anyone what would it be? He answered I'd ask bobby Robson what Adrian Heath has to do to get an England call up.
team sang Here we go on Wogan

Status
Not open for further replies.