Everton and shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

zed

Player Valuation: £25m
saw a stat tonight, we had about 14 shots on target. i dont think we`ve had that many in the previous 20 games. the facht is we dont shoot enough and its pissed me off for years with moyes` no shooting policy, and tonight we showed against quite a good totters side that it pays off big time if you have a pop. lets hope moyes took notice and doesnt coach the shooting out in favour of walking every ball into the net as per usual

saw a stat tonight, we had about 14 shots on target. i dont think we`ve had that many in the previous 20 games. the facht is we dont shoot enough and its pissed me off for years with moyes` no shooting policy, and tonight we showed against quite a good totters side that it pays off big time if you have a pop. lets hope moyes took notice and doesnt coach the shooting out in favour of walking every ball into the net as per usual

Front two innit?

One drops off (Saha), one leans on the last man, splits the defence. Four in midfield opens up space for quality players like Arteta and Fellaini to work, whilst the opposition squeeze up to win the ball in the middle, opening up the flanks.

4-4-2 - also known as the answer, and has been for some time. It's just took Moyes a good seven or eight games slower than your average fan to realise it! ^^

Front two innit?

One drops off (Saha), one leans on the last man, splits the defence. Four in midfield opens up space for quality players like Arteta and Fellaini to work, whilst the opposition squeeze up to win the ball in the middle, opening up the flanks.

4-4-2 - also known as the answer, and has been for some time. It's just took Moyes a good seven or eight games slower than your average fan to realise it! ^^

Fairly spot on.

Although 4-4-2 won't always be the answer, tonight it definitely was. Good managers can adapt their formation and their lineup, for the unique challenges each opposing team will present. Moyes hasn't done that enough this season, but hopefully this is a turning point.

Fairly spot on.

Although 4-4-2 won't always be the answer, tonight it definitely was. Good managers can adapt their formation and their lineup, for the unique challenges each opposing team will present. Moyes hasn't done that enough this season, but hopefully this is a turning point.

Aye, it's just that all the symptoms - few shots, no goals, cluttered midfield, no pace on the break - all indicated that 4-4-2 should have been adopted a while ago, as it's a formation that allows good players to be good, whilst 4-5-1 is more of a disciplined team unit with little creative freedom.

Of course, Barcelona and such adopt a 4-5-1 but their tempo and pace on the counter effectively make it a 4-3-3; Evertons variant is different, but does has it's place e.g. against bigger teams, as it encourages them onto you and you can hit on the counter whilst keeping a degree of solidarity at the back.

I'm not claiming to know more than David Moyes, I'm just a fan of tactics that's all. As you say, hoping this is a turning point.

in particular i thought saha's shooting improved as he showed signs of regaining his confidence. almost every goal i've seen him score has been like the one he scored earlier today, a fairly weak but well placed shot in the bottom corner, and generally they're ones you'd expect keepers to save. that rocket he fired just wide off the volley was great, and it was great to see him shoot too hard for gomes to handle to create the second goal.

I don't think that's a high number for us, most games I watch we have had double figure numbers for shots, the main problem is A) outside the box and B) not on target.
With two strikers, you should double your chances.

Front two innit?

And what formation were spuds playing?

4-4-1-1, and their goal was even a header from their attacking midfielder! Does Moyes need any more of a hint?!

I don't think that's a high number for us, most games I watch we have had double figure numbers for shots, the main problem is A) outside the box and B) not on target.
With two strikers, you should double your chances.

it was 14 shots ON GOAL, not total. i think we had like 20 total shots, and i think that stat doesn't include a couple blocked efforts from arteta and coleman. i might have a look a bit later, but i think its the most shots we've put on target all season

it was 14 shots ON GOAL, not total. i think we had like 20 total shots, and i think that stat doesn't include a couple blocked efforts from arteta and coleman. i might have a look a bit later, but i think its the most shots we've put on target all season

Then that's good, someone earlier stated 14 Shots total.
That's a far better ratio than we've had.

I'm pretty sure that blocked shots directed towards goal are regarded as shots on goal.

the whole point is we need to shoot more, it seems nearly every team playing is scoring for fun by shooting from all over the place. you make your own luck by having an attempt at goal and that goes for crosses as well, we need a bit more pace on the balls into the box - especially nevilles crosses, he seems to just float them over instead of whipping them in. lets make it difficult for defenders with the final ball into the box- loads of goals are scored like this.

Yeah, we've been sh*t hot on shooting the past 3 games, i'll snatch some Opta stats when i get then, I know we've outshot every single opponent for the past 3 games on target.

Status
Not open for further replies.