Duffy tweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anecdotal. A lot of managers have said that foreign players have brought with them a healthier approach to life and have tempered the drinking culture that was/is so prevalent in British culture.

No problem at all. He's not going to be near the first team next season so sure he'll have plenty of time to get back into shape.

To use a cycling analogy, coz that's what I know, Bradley Wiggins would regularly go on benders outside of competitions as a youngster. He'd won Olympic medals and all, so surely he deserved it, but he used to finish outside the top 100 in the Tour de France in those days. Only when he stopped pissing about and started taking his sport seriously did he truly make the most of his gifts and start challenging for real honours.

Duffy is on easy street, earning a salary most of his peers would die for. He could easily swan along, playing a few games each season and pocket the cash, or he could dedicate himself to his profession and make the most of his talents.

Fairly sure for instance that both Ronaldo and Messi are tee-total. Not that they have anything to teach the lad.

Shane Duffy isn't injecting stuff in between comps to improve his performance though, unlike Wiggins.

I disagree there mate. Maybe dont have to say it to the world but still hes not playing now so why not.

Maybe all you fellas are right, I'd just feel happier if the stories you hear about our younger players was them putting in extra training rather than out on the lash.

We've had plenty of talented youngsters down the years that have not made it in the game. You have to wonder if their attitude is right. It's widely reported for instance that Cantona instilled the right work ethic in the Beckham generation, and this was a huge part of their later success.

The point of a close season is to let your body recover from the stresses it's been under during the season. Just not sure getting drunk is gonna help that.

Anecdotal. A lot of managers have said that foreign players have brought with them a healthier approach to life and have tempered the drinking culture that was/is so prevalent in British culture.

No problem at all. He's not going to be near the first team next season so sure he'll have plenty of time to get back into shape.

To use a cycling analogy, coz that's what I know, Bradley Wiggins would regularly go on benders outside of competitions as a youngster. He'd won Olympic medals and all, so surely he deserved it, but he used to finish outside the top 100 in the Tour de France in those days. Only when he stopped pissing about and started taking his sport seriously did he truly make the most of his gifts and start challenging for real honours.

Duffy is on easy street, earning a salary most of his peers would die for. He could easily swan along, playing a few games each season and pocket the cash, or he could dedicate himself to his profession and make the most of his talents.

Fairly sure for instance that both Ronaldo and Messi are tee-total. Not that they have anything to teach the lad.

Cycling and football are massively different sports. Very rarely do footballers push their bodies to the absolute limit as cyclists do.

Plus, who's to say he won't go alcohol free until the end of next season now?

By the way, I saw a team photo the other day where every player had a pint. Guess who? Man United.

Cycling and football are massively different sports. Very rarely do footballers push their bodies to the absolute limit as cyclists do.

Plus, who's to say he won't go alcohol free until the end of next season now?

By the way, I saw a team photo the other day where every player had a pint. Guess who? Man United.

Aye, that's true. Guess all I'm saying is that I'd rather my Everton players be ala Phil Neville than a Shandy Andy. VDM was ten times as talented as Phil, but Phil worked his socks off to make the most of what he had.

Aye, that's true. Guess all I'm saying is that I'd rather my Everton players be ala Phil Neville than a Shandy Andy. VDM was ten times as talented as Phil, but Phil worked his socks off to make the most of what he had.

Oh yeah, but there's a big difference between the two.

A few pints when off duty is sound by me.

I think Phil would have been better off on the ale to be honest.

Ridiculous comments about Duffy by the way, letting off steam at the end of the season is absolutely fine and probably more beneficial to him overall

There's a world of difference between having a few beers at the end of a long season & going on the piss for 9 months solid often downing a gallon & a half a day, like Wiggins admitted to.

Maybe all you fellas are right, I'd just feel happier if the stories you hear about our younger players was them putting in extra training rather than out on the lash.

We've had plenty of talented youngsters down the years that have not made it in the game. You have to wonder if their attitude is right. It's widely reported for instance that Cantona instilled the right work ethic in the Beckham generation, and this was a huge part of their later success.

The point of a close season is to let your body recover from the stresses it's been under during the season. Just not sure getting drunk is gonna help that.

I agree with you Bruce, to an extent. But Ronaldo & Messi have both on occasion been pictured in nightclubs etc. Dedication is the difference between a good career and a great one when the talent is there.

Hopefully Shane knows that and he's just ending the season with a trip with his mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.