DON DONOVAN RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan ball

Player Valuation: £70m
Sadly passed away.

He was a right back who played for Everton F.C. and Grimsby Town. Donovan joined Everton in 1951 from junior football in Ireland and went on to play 187 times for The Toffees scoring just twice.In August 1958, he was transferred to Grimsby Town for a fee of £5,000 where he played until 1964 before becoming player manager of Boston United. He was a huge success at Boston, winning League titles in each of his three seasons with the club.

At international level, he represented Republic of Ireland five times at senior level making his debut in November 1954 [1]

That was the time when we had a massive following from Ireland....plane loads for every home game, watching Peter Farrell, Tommy Eglington,Don Donovan and others. We took a lot of players from Ireland in those days, Jimmy O'neill a great goalkeeper, and Don Donovan. I remember seeing him play, a full back in, dare I say it, the Hibbert mold. Excellent defensively, and a strong tackler. Of course defence was basically all that full backs did in those days !
RIP Don Donovan...another childhood hero .

That was the time when we had a massive following from Ireland....plane loads for every home game, watching Peter Farrell, Tommy Eglington,Don Donovan and others. We took a lot of players from Ireland in those days, Jimmy O'neill a great goalkeeper, and Don Donovan. I remember seeing him play, a full back in, dare I say it, the Hibbert mold. Excellent defensively, and a strong tackler. Of course defence was basically all that full backs did in those days !
RIP Don Donovan...another childhood hero .

I don't know how to give you a positive in your notifications STEVE.You sir .............. know your History. x

Be nice if the dozy ****s on the OS acknowledged the man's passing like. I know he *only* played 187 times for Everton, and it's less important news today than what John Gregory has to say about Gareth Barry, but maybe they could shift themselves to mention it?

Status
Not open for further replies.