2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

IF thats a red card teams would finish with 6 men every game.

End of as Joey would say.
They should not be allowed to make these ticky tacky judgement calls. If you can’t be consistent with it don’t go there. How do you come to that conclusion when you can take that and rewind it back? The absolute most Dom should receive is a yellow

They should not be allowed to make these ticky tacky judgement calls. If you can’t be consistent with it don’t go there. How do you come to that conclusion when you can take that and rewind it back? The absolute most Dom should receive is a yellow
I mean its not even a foul, but it 100% doesnt meet the criteria of a red card.

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

None of that happened, not a single thing.

We make chances though, I do wish people would stop peddling this myth. We are mid table in terms of team xG and top 6 in terms of xA our issue is that the front 5/6 are not clinical whatsoever. We clearly need to spend more time working on shooting drills and final 3rd scenarios as at the moment we just waste good play much of the time.
We do get chances, but DcL only gets 1 or 2. And one of those is only a half chance.

The best chance yesterday came from a defensive error from the press as well, not from anything we did creatively.

We do get chances, but DcL only gets 1 or 2. And one of those is only a half chance.

The best chance yesterday came from a defensive error from the press as well, not from anything we did creatively.
He plays in the lone striker role which is a demanding role, whether you get 2 chances or 20 chances you need to be at least making the keeper work. As I said it's a team problem and I have also said previously that I don't think the Dyche system is designed to get the best out of any striker, I think a 20 goal a season type would be wasted in this setup.

Agree with this. Aside from set pieces it feels like a lot of our goals come from midfielders and wingers running on to second balls in and around the edge of the penalty area. Saying that, given DCL is not taking what few chances are being created for or by him, I wouldn't mind seeing Beto get a few starts.

Agree with this. Aside from set pieces it feels like a lot of our goals come from midfielders and wingers running on to second balls in and around the edge of the penalty area. Saying that, given DCL is not taking what few chances are being created for or by him, I wouldn't mind seeing Beto get a few starts.
running into the space created by DCL after he has won the header down and then dragged the defender out of the space.

I think Beto is better running at the defender and behind the lines, but his control and creating space isn’t as good.

It’s why I want to see them playing up top together.

running into the space created by DCL after he has won the header down and then dragged the defender out of the space.

I think Beto is better running at the defender and behind the lines, but his control and creating space isn’t as good.

Its strange that Dyche didnt even try it while Doucs was out.

I the limited amount we’ve seen them together it hasn’t worked. They are both a focal point of that attack and want players running off them, but accomplish it two different ways.

One of them has to change for it to work to me. Probably Beto.

We make chances though, I do wish people would stop peddling this myth. We are mid table in terms of team xG and top 6 in terms of xA our issue is that the front 5/6 are not clinical whatsoever. We clearly need to spend more time working on shooting drills and final 3rd scenarios as at the moment we just waste good play much of the time.
I doubt it’s much to do with how many shooting drills we do dom just isn’t a very good finisher I’m sure they’ve tried to work on it over the six or seven years he’s been here but he’s never cracked it.

Would have him on the bench if he is not banned for three games, thought beto did well vs city and should have kept his place. Dcl just looks oht of form atm not sure if because doucoure has been out but just dors not look sharp

This is because he’s never in the right position for the chances to fall to him. There’s a reason top strikers like Haaland get so many tap ins, it’s not pure luck that the ball falls to them in those areas, it’s a skill in itself. DCL lacks a poacher’s instinct as well as finishing ability, he should be popping up in the sort of positions Doucoure does to get his goals, but he can never anticipate or sniff out a chance. The sooner people just accept he’s a non-goalscoring striker the better.

This is because he’s never in the right position for the chances to fall to him. There’s a reason top strikers like Haaland get so many tap ins, it’s not pure luck that the ball falls to them in those areas, it’s a skill in itself. DCL lacks a poacher’s instinct as well as finishing ability, he should be popping up in the sort of positions Doucoure does to get his goals, but he can never anticipate or sniff out a chance. The sooner people just accept he’s a non-goalscoring striker the better.
Lets see what hes like at Arsenal.

Remember when we had good, actual creative players who could actually pick him out? Scored over 20 goals that season. Except we now expect him to fill the space from the halfway line all the way up to the goal line.

Doucoure gets to pop up in those areas he is because he is playing as the second striker and DCL is moving the defenders out of that space.

I’m quite happy with the role DCL has been playing, because like discussed above, it brings others in who are then scoring.