Do we need experienced cover at centre back?

Who will provide cover in the centre of defence this season?

• A new experienced player

Votes: 67 80.7%
  • The youngsters

Votes: 16 19.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we do it, I don't want a 3million pound player, I want a proven quality defender, no half measures, otherwise we may as well develop a younger player.

Anyone available or realistic?

Why would that quality of player come and play a dozen games a year though? Central defence isn't like other parts of the team, they're not rotated anywhere near as often, and you don't even get game time off the bench unless of an injury.

voted the youngsters, but on reflection we only have jags as an experienced centre back so i'm going to change my mind and say yes we need experience. As mouthwatering a prospect as stones and galloway/browning has the potential to be, it's leaving us a bit thin.

We need someone good enough to be at least challenging for a place in the starting eleven, not just cover for when Jagielka or Stones is injured. We need that all over the pitch really, but buying one centre half covers two positions if either Stones or Jagielka's form drops.

If we do it, I don't want a 3million pound player, I want a proven quality defender, no half measures, otherwise we may as well develop a younger player.

Anyone available or realistic?

Titus-Brambl.jpg

Why would that quality of player come and play a dozen games a year though? Central defence isn't like other parts of the team, they're not rotated anywhere near as often, and you don't even get game time off the bench unless of an injury.

Because of either A) a long term injury or B) Jags being awful again (at the start of the year).

We need depth to get top 4.

We need someone good enough to be at least challenging for a place in the starting eleven, not just cover for when Jagielka or Stones is injured. We need that all over the pitch really, but buying one centre half covers two positions if either Stones or Jagielka's form drops.

Yeah this.

Because of either A) a long term injury or B) Jags being awful again (at the start of the year).

We need depth to get top 4.

If we had lots of money I'd agree with you, but with a finite pot of cash available, I reckon we have more pressing areas of the team to look at.

I'd say we're better stocked for coping with an injury to Jags, for instance, than we are to either Coleman or Lukaku.

To put things another way, we have three young centre backs that are all of an age where they need to gain experience. When would you play them? What circumstances would they merit a run out in the PL (if indeed there are any)?

I'd say we need one. Galloway will be at left back for a while before moving to centre half, he did a similar thing for a few games with browning on the right (who should now be 2nd choice behind Coleman) and I know nothing of the other guy. The other 2 will be allowed to make their mistakes at fullback, it'll be good experience for them.

I wouldn't spend a ton on one though. Games are won with goals and we badly need that playmaker to provide for Rom. Dann is the right sort of idea but not for £10m.

He obviously sees the back 4 as Baines Stones Jags & Coleman for some time, and only sees the young lads as cover, not as starters which is not a massive worry, cant think of many serious injuries for the back 4 for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.