Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I have only read the last few pages of this thread but have to say its brilliant.

I have gone through bad times myself mentally but have got out the other side Thankfully. Friends of mine have not been so lucky. I have lost quite a few friends through suicide over the last few years including my best mate in November and another pal just this week.

I am from Dublin and it is an epidemic over here at the moment, not sure how prevalent it is in Liverpool but in Ireland 3 times more people lose their battle with depression then road deaths a year yet its very rarely in the media, but when there is a fatality in a road accident its all over the news! I am not for 1 moment trying to say a death to suicide is more important then road accident.

But I am asking why mental health seems unimportant in the media?

The main thing that got me through it was talking. Most blokes seem to think it is a weakness to talk but not for me. It takes courage to talk to someone about why you feel shi##y, because most of the time you feel its petty things getting you down or no one else will understand. Well try them, find someone who loves you and talk to them, open and honestly about everthing and they will be there if you want help.

I have seen people lose the battle but I have also seen many, many more deal with the battle and put it away from the front of their heads. That is all that needs to be done, just so its not the first thing you wake up with and the last thing you think of before sleep, if your even getting sleep.

I have also seen the difference a good gp makes which can be the difference between life and death. If for any reason you feel you are not getting the help needed from your gp well walk out the door and find 1 who will take it seriously.

Anyway I have quite a bit of experience of depression and have seen both the good side of treatment and the bad side of lack of treatment or not taking issues seriously enough. If I can help anyone here let me know.

I have just this morning been prescribed 50mg Sertraline for anxiety and panic attacks. I've finally gotten round to having a read of this thread and I see there's a few who are either on or have been on these tablets themselves.

How did you guys find them?
Did you suffer any side effects?
How were you with a few pints at the weekend?

I'm on Sertraline. Takes a couple of weeks to fully take effect but when it does, you're much calmer and more able just to get on with things. No real side-effects othere than a tiny bit of wooziness after a week or so. Alcohol isn't dangerous but it does tend to wash the stuff out of your system so try to avoid too many consecutive days drinking.

I went out fri night to watch a band I know. had a great time meeting people I hadn't seen for years and had a boogie. big thanks to bar staff who tho busy as hell took time to make me coffee. thing is I suffred yesterday couldn't move and felt so tired and spent most of day in bed. today I feel a lot better except for my legs aching but I don't feel as down as I did yesterday. I did wake up thinking oh here we go again another day here. just thought i'd clear my thoughts on here and carry on with the day.
on a side note I used to be one of those people who thought depression was just a frame of mind. that the person should just suck it up and get a life, if you feel down you will be down. I now know better but can understand people who don't take depression too seriously.

I went out fri night to watch a band I know. had a great time meeting people I hadn't seen for years and had a boogie. big thanks to bar staff who tho busy as hell took time to make me coffee. thing is I suffred yesterday couldn't move and felt so tired and spent most of day in bed. today I feel a lot better except for my legs aching but I don't feel as down as I did yesterday. I did wake up thinking oh here we go again another day here. just thought i'd clear my thoughts on here and carry on with the day.
on a side note I used to be one of those people who thought depression was just a frame of mind. that the person should just suck it up and get a life, if you feel down you will be down. I now know better but can understand people who don't take depression too seriously.

Go in the funny YouTube videos thread mate. Some genuinely funny videos there.

Cheers for the sertraline info guys. My only issue with it so far is I'm really struggling to get to sleep on it. Will bring that up with the doc when I see her again

Great to hear that you managed to get out and stayed off the pop.
Exercise is good - but over doing it and tiredness will get you back down in the dumps.
Stick with it this 'thing' takes a lot of understanding and it sounds as though you are on the right track.

Cheers for the sertraline info guys. My only issue with it so far is I'm really struggling to get to sleep on it. Will bring that up with the doc when I see her again

Similar problem here fella but it wears off. I was given a few sleeping pills to use when I needed to. Other problem I had was, err, in the bedroom, but thankfully that's passed!!! lol

I would like to post in this thread my current situation, but really don't know where to start.

My moods are up and down and all over the place at present, I need to keep it in check before it gets out of control.

I suppose I am thinking I will snap out of it soon, but I might be better going to see someone.

Going to read through he thread and see if it helps.

I would like to post in this thread my current situation, but really don't know where to start.

My moods are up and down and all over the place at present, I need to keep it in check before it gets out of control.

I suppose I am thinking I will snap out of it soon, but I might be better going to see someone.

You should go and see someone if you are concerned, you can post in here too to talk to likeminded people and share experiences. We're all here for each other.

On another not, I am going to go back to the doctor, had a really bad one yesterday and it was almost even worse. Couple that with not sleeping or eating and I do think I have to go back.

Lots of people have gone through what you're going through mate.
Try posting here, it might help. If it doesn't, then you've lost nothing.

For more professional help, speak to your GP or contact Mind, you'll find their details at http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/

it could be a number of things mate but this is a good place to chat about it no piss taking,everyone will try and
help I know because it helped me go from a very bleak outlook to enjoying myself a lot more I still get my bad days
but i know im not alone,the first step is the hardest as it is with any battle

As others have said there is nothing to lose by posting here. Don't presume you will just snap out of it though. Yes you might but if you don't it can be a very slippery slope with a very quick downfall.

You sound exactly the way I was after my best mate took his own life. I could see the consequences of not getting sorted with it being so close to the time so took no risks. I was put on pills for 6 weeks and it worked for me.