Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I know it's late but I can't sleep and have been reading this thread trying to catch up from where I last checked a few weeks back. It always warms my heart up nice when I read the genuine care, support and advice people show complete strangers in here, no matter what it is you want to write about.

I just want to inform everyone that I'm feeling A LOT better than I was earlier in the year when I previously detailed how I'd resigned from a soul-destroying job that was causing me serious mental health problems. I got a new job shortly after that I'm still at and I'm pleased how different it is. It took a few weeks to get used too to begin with and I had some scars that fully needed to heal but heal they did and I feel very happy in it now. It's the polar opposite of the last one, the people are friendly, the atmosphere isn't at all toxic and the work is not a million miles hour. As a result my confidence has come up tenfold and I suffer from anxiety far less than I used too, I don't know if anybody has noticed that I've seemed a bit more cheerful and up for a laugh on here over the past few months.

I think it may have been @BiggyRat who posted in here once about how he'd love to put "aged" hims' brain into younger hims' body. I completely agree with that now, when I go back and read my previous posts where I wrote about how awful I was feeling I can honestly say I barely recognise that person now, I feel I've come forward so much in just a few months. Sure things are not perfect and I'm still not where I'd like to be in an ideal world but I'm very content with what I have and how I'm feeling right now whereas back in March/April time I would go home after every shift and nearly cry. The people who used to intimidate me so much in the previous job because of my low-confidence, the people I allowed to talk to me like complete garbage, if current me could swap places with at-the-time me I'd probably fly off the handle, give the big "WHO THE EFF ARE YOU TALKING TOO EH?!" speech. I feel embarrassed now that I look back, how did I have so little respect for myself? If I saw that manager now I'd be desperate to punch his face in but alas, I'll settle for just snarling him the bad tool. I can be a hot-head but only when I feel I've been genuinely wronged.

If the current October 2016 me could talk to the late 2015/early 2016 me I feel I could help him so much. I'd put my arm around myself, pat myself on the cheek in big-brotherly way and say "you're better than this, you don't deserve what you're going through. YOU have the power to end this, stop letting these cretins get to you so much." I needed that so badly at the time but there was no one to do it because I was too reluctant to open up for a long time so I my depression fester and get worse. It was a terrible decision looking back but I've learnt from and gotten stronger because of it.

For me a bad day used to be having to lock myself in the toilet to catch my breath and prevent a full emotional meltdown in front of my colleagues. A bad day now is a customer getting on my nerves a bit and making me be late for my lunch or the bus home, it's forgotten about within half an hour!

When I read what other people are going through on here it doesn't half put things into perspective for me, I'd being 100% willing to help anyone to feel better if I can. Thanks if you bothered to read any of that! Time I tried to get a kip. :)
Awesome. So glad you feel better. Nice post x

I haven't seen it as I'm overseas at present but I'm told the Channel 5 programme on Mental Illness 'Me & My Mental Illness' is definitely worth watching.

Available on the usual catch up services on-line, would be interesting to hear from anyone who watched it.

I haven't seen it as I'm overseas at present but I'm told the Channel 5 programme on Mental Illness 'Me & My Mental Illness' is definitely worth watching.

Available on the usual catch up services on-line, would be interesting to hear from anyone who watched it.

The same team did a similar documentary called - " Hello my name is and I'm an alcoholic " which was very good.

@wbn61 How you getting on mate?
last few times I came on this thread it was full of optimism and good feeling. I didn't want to post my situation and take away from that. now it's been asked I am lousy, the lowest I have ever been, I just want it over with now but I can't give up it would go against everything I am, catch 22 lol but I don't think it will be too long now. hope everyone is fine and keep up that fighting spirit:dance:

last few times I came on this thread it was full of optimism and good feeling. I didn't want to post my situation and take away from that. now it's been asked I am lousy, the lowest I have ever been, I just want it over with now but I can't give up it would go against everything I am, catch 22 lol but I don't think it will be too long now. hope everyone is fine and keep up that fighting spirit:dance:

We're all here for the good times and bad mate. Don't stop posting because you think it's an " inconvenience " to others. Please keep posting, you genuinely are inspirational ;)

We're all here for the good times and bad mate. Don't stop posting because you think it's an " inconvenience " to others. Please keep posting, you genuinely are inspirational ;)

Precisely what he said mate. I've said it before but for someone going through what you are you've coped amazingly well and I have massive respect for you, I'd hate the thought of you suffering in silence because you think it'll bring the mood down if you blurt out all your feelings, I think you have the absolute opposite effect and act as a great inspiration to many people.

The chap we're currently looking after is going through a protracted dying period (no great surprise - he's 94) but it's reawakened memories of two experiences which trouble me. Although they're well in the past (61 and 97), there's enough venom there to colour my thinking.

Resentment may not have the same high profile as anger but - only in my experience - it has the power to depress and twist thought, relationships, and a more relaxed approach to problems that crop up.

I only mention this because some others may be re - living historic experience and feeling daft because they can't seem to get over it. You aren't alone.