Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Yes you are mate.

don't think otherwise neither. Just takes time, as long as your good days are good ones.

I appreciate the encouragement, but it's just so hard. All the websites tell me that I need to get help. I've gotten help. I'm taking meds. And I'm still feeling so depressed. The hardest part is the isolation. I have no friends because I'm depressed, but it's hard to socialize because I'm depressed. My wife feels like she can't say anything around me because I internalize it in a negative way. I haven't been able to call my mom and sister because I have nothing positive to say. My dad has basically been out of my life for almost 25 years. I just feel like I'm alone, horrible at life, and going nowhere. Just feel tired and sad.

Have the bloody depression fog today. Meds, years of therapy, and I still feel like this. Guess I'm never going to get better.
My stepdaughter suffers from bipolar disorder, its the most significant thing in her life - serious meds, hospital etc . The last two months her and my Mrs have taken to doing regular walks , maybe about 3 miles 4 or 5 times a week and it has made a big difference in all kinds of areas including her mood. Exercise , in whatever form it takes , is something that gets mentioned regularly on this thread for its beneficial effects, and this is not aimed at you specifically as I dont know your circumstances, but as a generally reminder to everybody of just how beneficial regular exercise is if you can manage it.

I appreciate the encouragement, but it's just so hard. All the websites tell me that I need to get help. I've gotten help. I'm taking meds. And I'm still feeling so depressed. The hardest part is the isolation. I have no friends because I'm depressed, but it's hard to socialize because I'm depressed. My wife feels like she can't say anything around me because I internalize it in a negative way. I haven't been able to call my mom and sister because I have nothing positive to say. My dad has basically been out of my life for almost 25 years. I just feel like I'm alone, horrible at life, and going nowhere. Just feel tired and sad.
OK mate.

What is good in your life? Genuine question this, you say you focus on the negatives too much, what are the positives?

Hi mate. I can relate to some of this. No contact with my Dad for approaching 10 years now save for the odd abusive message from his mad wife. But I'm lucky as I've got strong relationships with me Mam, brother & sister and wider family, so this has helped a lot. Tho' I've had similar long stretches like yourself where I don't call or answer messages, but eventually when we do call it's not about having anything positive to say, it's just about hearing each other's voices, chatting guff about the news, which TV series we're watching, family stuff and when I'm coming to visit next.

Always feels quite nice after finally making the effort to talk. Bob Hoskins got on our nerves in those ads but he had a point :)

Do you have a pet mate? Sounds daft but how about getting a dog? Would give you companionship and get you out exercising with it. You'll also meet other dog owners.

Just an idea anyway. Good that you can talk here, I hope it helps that many blues will be silently supporting you and wishing you better times.

I find that despite all the negativity we go through, deep down somewhere is a positive spark called " fighting spirit " you need to delve within yourself to find it. It's not always the answer but it's a start and I recommend you try and find it.
Good luck

I can understand your querying whether 'window shopping' is a sign of discontent, but I think it is more a case of human nature.
I mean, we all like to be liked, and attention of the right sort is nice to receive. After all, flirtation is merely 'attention without intention'.
Also, infatuation is an involuntary reaction. It can happen without warning and very often without rational, but is usually only temporary. But it does nobody any harm, and is usually just a passing fantasy. All part of the rich and inexplicable nature of the human mind.
So what you may feel a bit guilty about is just an everyday emotion.
But reading your post, you sound like virtually anybody who has an emotional break up and questions everything and wonders about their own failings. But reading what you have written, you appear to be very level headed and are considering all aspects almost from a neutral perspective.
That is a very mature and responsible way to evaluate the recent events, and I honestly, believe you will be the person you really are in no time.

Thank you for this. Makes me feel a bit more sane and in control of my emotions. I'm having a bit of a rubbish day today... Just the normal feelings of it being a weekend and not having that person to hang around with and interact with etc like I had for 2 1/2 years. I realise it is normal and it will pass, as it has done in the past... But just a rubbish day.

I've been advised to do things like volunteer. For instance, things like dog walking for the RSPCA once a week. Helping others can really give you back that feeling of self worth

Do you have a pet mate? Sounds daft but how about getting a dog? Would give you companionship and get you out exercising with it. You'll also meet other dog owners.

Just an idea anyway. Good that you can talk here, I hope it helps that many blues will be silently supporting you and wishing you better times.
Not a bad shout if it's a viable option @Sennott Street

The responsibility gets you out of bed to walk it even if you don't want to, and getting outdoors and exercising is always a good thing.

theyre always pleased to see you too

Also try to stay around mates and around people. I've had mates isolate themselves when they're down and it doesn't help.

Thoughts with you either way mate.