Defence Defence Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of rumours floating around of 5 at the back today.

Not sure how I feel about it but I guess that depends on who comes in and where.

How would you line up with a 5 at the back type system?

Five at the back is really 3-5-2 depending on if we are defending or attacking though really isnt it.

At home to Stoke id have my doubts if we played that way.

If we did mate its basically to give coleman and im assuming oviedo no defensive responsibility and allow them to bomb forward

Lots of rumours floating around of 5 at the back today.

Not sure how I feel about it but I guess that depends on who comes in and where.

How would you line up with a 5 at the back type system?

-----------------------Howard------------------------

------Stones---------Jagielka--------Distin----------

Coleman--------------Barry------------------Oviedo

----------------McCarthy---Barkley------------------

-----------------------Mirallas------------------------

-----------------------Lukaku------------------------

Alternatively, Barry will be LWB, with Osman & Barkley in the middle and McCarthy holding.

Either way, I don't think we should go 3 at the back today. People are saying it should be done because Baines is missing; however, this only compounds it for me, as the wing back is the most important player on the pitch in a 5-3-2 or 5-3-1-1. Not having Baines would mean that I'd be reluctant to bring it in today.

Having said that, I'm definitely not against a 3 at the back system, I just think we need our best full backs/ wing backs to be fit if we're going to play it.

-----------------------Howard------------------------

------Stones---------Jagielka--------Distin----------

Coleman--------------Barry------------------Oviedo

----------------McCarthy---Barkley------------------

-----------------------Mirallas------------------------

-----------------------Lukaku-------------

Now I don't necessarily dislike that despite not being a fan of 5/3 at the back.

I'm just not convinced by Oviedo. And think it's harsh to drop Pienaar who was relatively boss last weekend.

Having said that about Oviedo, if he's actually got a future with us then a game against Stoke will tell us a hell of a lot about him.

Now I don't necessarily dislike that despite not being a fan of 5/3 at the back.

I'm just not convinced by Oviedo. And think it's harsh to drop Pienaar who was relatively boss last weekend.

Having said that about Oviedo, if he's actually got a future with us then a game against Stoke will tell us a hell of a lot about him.

I completely agree. Although I wouldn't be too disappointed with that selection, I think we'd missing a trick by not playing our most attacking options; Pienaar, Deulofeu and Mirallas (in his proper position on either wing).

Personally, I'd like to see us go for it from the off:

---------------------Howard---------------------

Coleman-----Jagielka------Distin---------Barry

---------------McCarthy---Barkley--------------

Deulofeu-------------Pienaar------------Mirallas

-----------------------Lukaku--------------------

Howard
Coleman Stones Jagielka Distin Oviedo
Barkley Barry Pienaar
Lukaku Mirallas

Make sure mccarthy avoids the yellow to rule him out of OT, we realistically should be arrogant and say we can beat stoke without having to use all of our best XI. If it doesn't go to play in the first 50 mins, chop and change, with enough time to still get the three points.

Look at all the wing space coleman and oviedo can have to run into!

Poor keeper and CB's that aren't dominant/aggressive enough is the main problem. Also Distins positioning can be all over the show at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.