Defence Defence Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been saying for a few weeks that without Fellaini and Cahill, distin and jags need to start taking charge a lot more at set pieces. Long term I honestly believe we will need two new CH's who suit our new style of play, you'd think Stones would be one of them, can Jags adapt? I'm not so sure to be honest

I've been saying it all year long, and for about two months I'd get neg rep after neg rep after neg rep for daring question the ability of our wonderful captain Mr Jagielka and his colleagues. Our defence has been appalling this season, and yesterday was yet further evidence of that. We could have shipped in five or six goals. Forgetting the goals, let's not forget when Suarez was able to dribble through literally four players before the ball fell to Allen too. Then there was the constant pathetic fouls given away, the miscommunication in setting up a basic wall, non-marking to allow Sturridge to score a free header, nobody picking up Coutinho from the corner...

Baines has been average all season excluding his two free kicks against West Ham, Coleman has been completely off the boil and if Howard hadn't been performing so well we'd no way have so many shut outs so far. In fact, he's probably saved Jags and Distin from a whole world of criticism.

Weird that Martinez didn't sell Heitinga in the summer if he really does consider him below Stones in the pecking order. Thankfully I didn't notice any of the silly passing errors yesterday like have happened regularly so far this season, but it really is frustrating. Things need shaking up massively.

Weird that Martinez didn't sell Heitinga in the summer if he really does consider him below Stones in the pecking order. Thankfully I didn't notice any of the silly passing errors yesterday like have happened regularly so far this season, but it really is frustrating. Things need shaking up massively.

We've been trying to sell Heitinga for ages, he's on a fairly hefty sum though so it's been pretty difficult to shift him, same as it was with Yobo really.

We've been trying to sell Heitinga for ages, he's on a fairly hefty sum though so it's been pretty difficult to shift him, same as it was with Yobo really.
I can't imagine Heitinga isn't prepared to accept even a small cut in his wages to get regular football. He's not that much of a mercenary. Just can't understand it. He's a Holland international and has a big reputation. Surely there must be a taker for him in January.

I think we have had the same defensive problems going back to the season before last.

Out two centre backs can look the best in the league for large parts of games or a couple games in a row. They can look assured and confident as a settled partnership should do and this spreads to the rest of the team.

However they both have the habit of undoing their magnificent work with moments of completely amateur defending that you simply can't believe meaning we can both look rock solid at the back and then suddenly seem vulnerable to the most basic attacks from the poorest of attacking teams.

With Jags it's his tendency to come out and cut out the danger as at times he gets it wrong and ends up looking stupid when beaten and out of position. With Distin it seems to be complete brainfarts. How can a defender who looks so complete and strong suddenly decides...."ok its a couple mins left of the derby and we are winning so I am going to go in with a high foot on this winger who is not particularly in a dangerous position".... Then this is followed up by laughing with the ref about his poor decision, which wasnt one, and being out of position and not ready.

Thing is I think this level of centre back will be as good as we can get as if they were a level more consistent theyd be off for big money. So...the key is competition for places so that these poor moments and stupid moments can be punished with a place on the bench. Stones to get a run out in the league please alongside Jags. I think Distin has been better this season but trust Jags more to bring along a new partner.

I think the simplistic view is that we are more attacking and that the defenders aren't comfortable passing out from the back. This was a worry for some when the new boss came and when we concede they talk about this but in reality we are not giving up much chances by being caught in possession. It is the same problem from before the new boss.

Don't think our defense has been that bad. (Set pieces asside) Jags is clearly adapting to the new style but will obviously never excell at it as it's really not his game. Distin looks very uncomftable playing it out but his defensive side has been as solid as ever.

There's no doubt we need a big signing at CB who is gonna lead us into the next era. A proper solid defender, young with the passing style to compliment RM playing style. I would imagine to replace Distin.

Our defence always starts season badly. Last season being an exception. Under Moyes everyone always said the team started badly but it was always the defence. I dont know why.

Its not a tactical thing, those mistakes are obvious when they happen. I just think it takes them a while to get going. Like they need stuff riding on the game to step up.

I think the problem lies in our CB's, we have two great defenders but we NEED one of them to be able to play the ball and sadly neither are capable of this.

If Baines is injured I'd put Alcaraz CB and Distin LB to see what our star defense signing is like.

We've kept clean sheets but that doesn't mean players haven't been clean through on goal.

The Palace game, their CF was one on one and chipped it wide. I think there was 2 incidents that game.

Newcastle's second goal, Jagielka just watched their scorer go right past him.

Joe Allen was clean though regardless of scoring or not, he was past the defence.

Coutinho was left to run free to the back post, he should've been picked up.

Our defenders are getting older and Stones isn't ready to replace Distin yet. Alcarez could soon play and be fitted into a back 3 with Distin and Jagielka.
We can score goals and create chances, we proved that yesterday, we can tighten up a bit more defensively but it just looks like lapses and mistakes rather than overall displays.

Status
Not open for further replies.