Central Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jagielka and Distin 10 yards further up the pitch defending doesn't bare thinking about.

I know, that's why they drop back because they are incapable of playing the "Martinez way", it's why we are slow and pass it around the defence for no reason, we are getting pushed backwards rather than pushing forwards looking to attack the opposition.

If Martinez wants to play "his" way he needs to get a new CB in this window and another one in the summer to replace Jags and Distin. They are not good enough for Martinez's philosophy.

I know, that's why they drop back because they are incapable of playing the "Martinez way", it's why we are slow and pass it around the defence for no reason, we are getting pushed backwards rather than pushing forwards looking to attack the opposition.

If Martinez wants to play "his" way he needs to get a new CB in this window and another one in the summer to replace Jags and Distin. They are not good enough for Martinez's philosophy.
Absolutely spot on.

I really dont know how you can say this after last season where we played great football and had one of the meanest defences in the league.

Jags and Distin are out of form, absolutely, but you're doing them a massive disservice by seeing they are not good enough to play the way we do.

Unless 5th in the league 'isnt good enough' for you?

Stones needs to stay fit. When he's fit he plays alongside Jagielka IMO. I think having both center halves be uneasy on the ball is a reason why they've looked so shaky, I don't think Jagielka and Distin really trust eachother. Having Stones there will bring calm and composure, which will hopefully rub off on Jagielka as I still think he's our best senter half in terms of pure defending.

With a fully fit squad (if it ever happens) I'd like to see Stones in for Distin and McCarthy in for Barry, based on last nights central defence/midfield.

I really dont know how you can say this after last season where we played great football and had one of the meanest defences in the league.

Jags and Distin are out of form, absolutely, but you're doing them a massive disservice by seeing they are not good enough to play the way we do.

Yes, last season they were much better and we held a higher line for most of the games but I am talking about this season. Is 20 games not long enough for you for them to find their form as it's about 10 games too long for me. It's clear that they are not going to find this form anytime soon which is why I think they are both the major issues why we are having a crap season.

Yes, last season they were much better and we held a higher line for most of the games but I am talking about this season. Is 20 games not long enough for you for them to find their form as it's about 10 games too long for me. It's clear that they are not going to find this form anytime soon which is why I think they are both the major issues why we are having a crap season.

If they were playing in a team that was performing well then yes, absolutely 20 games is enough.

But literally every player in that team is under-performing. They all look shot for confidence.

Its not as if there are other players dragging them through the mire game on game. Jagielka especially needs 1) a regular partner and 2) a regular partner who gives him confidence and vice versa. I still like Distin, but he isnt as good technically as Jagielka.

A big part of the problem we are having is players are to indecisive in certain areas and for the CBs this is a big problem with them always letting the ball bounce before trying to deal with getting rid of it. Last nights game showed the difference between Jags and Distin compared to Stones, whenever Jags or Distin decided to let it bounce they instantly panicked as soon as the striker applied pressure to them and then the Laurel and Hardy show begins with them ending up nearly always getting in each others way rather than the striker actually winning the ball. On comes Stones and he does the exact same thing by letting the ball bounce but unlike Jags or Distin he didnt panic when he had cole all over him and just positioned himself to easy maneuver around him.

Ideally the ball shouldnt bounce at all if it doesn't need to but if you are going to take that risk we need players like Stones who are more capable in those situations the panic from Jags and Distin is because they don't enjoy having the ball so controlling a bouncing ball under pressure is about as bad as it gets for them. I stick by the fact that we needed a new CB in the summer it was poor planning imo Distin was only a season or so left and Jags isn't exactly young himself take in the fact alcaraz was continually injured it would have made sense after the poor start to bring someone in.

Long term id rather have a no nonsense CB alongside Stones, some of the best sides in the world only have 1 defender who plays out and the other is just the stopper. Shawcross is a bit of a scumbag but would do the job perfectly, Simon Kjaer for lille was impressive when we played them and has spoke before of moving to the prem

If you're not first you're last.

Looking at our predicament, should we dip into the transfer market or give youth a chance? I would prefer trying to bring in Simon Kjaer who we faced at Lille, still young but established in the position, but is this where we should spend our money?

Looking at our predicament, should we dip into the transfer market or give youth a chance? I would prefer trying to bring in Simon Kjaer who we faced at Lille, still young but established in the position, but is this where we should spend our money?

Kjaer certainly looked decent against us.
We need a new number one goalie, not a stop gap, a genuine number one... and preferably without the stupid beard !

Status
Not open for further replies.