Cardiff v Everton. 31st Aug @ 15.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is depressing.

At least we have a nice transfer window to look forward to for the next few days.

Then a nice long international break.

363.jpg

The midfield definitely dawdled on the ball, which killed almost all of chances and we had nothing for the counter attack. If we want to up the tempo we need up the decision making and get rid of unnecessary touches. Too much standing on the ball waiting for a pass.

Don't know if it's already been mentioned but Ross looked a bit like last season where he was trying to do too much. Wonder whether the England call up affected his mindset because he wasn't himself. In addition, he seems to favor opening his body and passing to the right. On quite a few occasions, especially in the second half, Baines and Pienaar were in acres of space but he totally ignored them. Not getting on his back, the kid is boss. Just a few observations.

Tbh Mirallas was woeful last night, seems to have lost the confidence or given instruction not to dribble at the defence. And then he tries to walk the ball in instead of taking it with his left. Really disappointing and frustrating game :(

I just want the Mirallas that bossed pre season and destroyed Marcelo!!

Yes, Barkley started well enough with some decent runs through the middle but in the second half he looked like he was trying to win it by himself, and he seemed to tire towards the end. I think it's a bit harsh to say his final ball was the problem though... he set up Jelavic and Mirallas beautifully. We moved the ball far too slowly in the second half (until it was too late) and we really hesitated on the counter in the rare instances when they went forward. Cardiff kept us from going up the left at the start but as the game went on they seemed comfortable to concede the space as we never really threatened - it was one thing going up the left all the time when we had Hibbert/Bily/Osman/Miscellaneous on the right, but we're a lot stronger there now - though Deulofeu should get a start if Mirallas keeps up like this.

Thing is, the exact same thing can be said of Pienaar and Mirallas, and certainly Osman.

The overall sentiment is right though - the ponderous nature of the midfield is our most alarming issue at the moment.

but with the ineffective Jelavic wandering around upfront offering little to nothing I think they have all become a bit skeptical and hesitant about getting it forward quick as it will be coming back at them almost immediately with the other team in possession. Mirallas doesn't offer much of an outlet either.

With Kone on and picking up deep, plus his mobility I thought we looked a lot sharper and Barkley and Felli started breaking forward too with more effect. Then Gerard sticking to the right gave us width and more mobility and I thought we looked the bollox. Next game Kone and Gerard in, Vic on the bench, **** Jelavic off to the reserves, Mirallas to the bench and please, oh please bring in a decent CM to supplement Felli and ditch Osman.

It's not all bad lads.... We are unbeaten after 3 games under a new manager trying a new system. He is probably learning more about the squad each game and hopefully will see what are the strengths and weaknesses we have and then begin to address them...

It's glaringly obvious we need a top drawer striker... In my opinion we have totally bossed the 3 games we have played and are creating lots of chances.... If we had a Defoe type striker I'm sure we'd have more points on the board by now.... All in all I'm not unduly worried... It's a long season ahead... It could get worse or it could get better...either way I'm gonna stick by the manager and give him the chance he deserves.....it's not even September yet lads !!

That's just how I see it.

I think we could do with a striker who is consistent and for us too push on we really need a 15-20 goal a season forward. Without one we don't have and never will have the firepower to move up a level. With no coin though, we may as well get used to battling for the 6/7th place trophy every season, still.

It's tough not to be disappointed after a game like that. The positives far outweighed the negatives. dominated a game on the road... it's just the frustration once the team goes forward and comes away with nothing. The effing reffing certainly didn't help, either.

For the most part you cannot blame the manager because the team simply couldn't convert... but I'm still confused as to why Deulofeu wasn't given more than seven minutes on the pitch. He seemed to play with a drive and purpose that merit 70 minutes, not 7.

Defo. The look on his face when nobody went for his cross across the 6 yard line said it all. If he can do 2-3 of those a game we'd be sorted, but he needs more time on the pitch. Mirallas is struggling so why not give him a try.

Here is Cardiff manager Malky Mackay's take on that big Everton penalty shout: "I only saw it at the time, I have not seen a replay. I suppose it was close. Gary Medel feels he never made contact and that Leighton Baines was looking for the penalty all the way."

Koff Milky

He's said more now. He said it would have been "very soft", which is a joke. If Baines wasn't a very honest straight sort of bloke, he would have made a bit more of his fall to win the pen. It wouldn't have been a dive, just something to make it clear to the ref. Also, bell end Bellamy would have seen red in the first half for the deliberate elbow on Baines if he had made more of it than he did - every other team does it. I hope the league goes back and reviews that. Hardly been mentioned anywhere.

Wasn't just Bellamy -Ki elbowed Pienaar without so much as a blink from the officials.

Just re-watche dit on MotD. Bellamy should have got a straight red, no question. He's sprinting full pace, pumping his arms in a repetitive motion at a certain height; when he sees Baines is clearly going to overtake him, he suddenly raises his left arm much higher and swings it back sharply, making contact with the elbow and barely missing with the fist - Savage and Owen both noted the clenched fist. Martinez should send the footage to the FA and demand action.

The Korean lad's effort was less dramatic, but was still a clear elbow jabbed straight at Pienaar's throat. Two definite red cards. For balance however, Felli could have seen red for his ground and pound effort, but you have to feel that perhaps if the ref got a grip of the game at some point, two of these incidents might never have taken place.

And the pen was clear as the nose on my face. Not a single pundit or commentator has said otherwise on Setanta, AL Jazeera or MotD. Even Michael Owen saw it as a pen.

Just re-watche dit on MotD. Bellamy should have got a straight red, no question. He's sprinting full pace, pumping his arms in a repetitive motion at a certain height; when he sees Baines is clearly going to overtake him, he suddenly raises his left arm much higher and swings it back sharply, making contact with the elbow and barely missing with the fist - Savage and Owen both noted the clenched fist. Martinez should send the footage to the FA and demand action.

The Korean lad's effort was less dramatic, but was still a clear elbow jabbed straight at Pienaar's throat. Two definite red cards. For balance however, Felli could have seen red for his ground and pound effort, but you have to feel that perhaps if the ref got a grip of the game at some point, two of these incidents might never have taken place.

And the pen was clear as the nose on my face. Not a single pundit or commentator has said otherwise on Setanta, AL Jazeera or MotD. Even Michael Owen saw it as a pen.

The ref was a disgrace, he made the game so much harder for us. Hope Martinez put a compliant in.

We need to play better than we are if we wont to stay in the Premier League

Do u think baines should of have the peno?

I think yes because he passed the first one and then he had to handle a other slidetackle so yes

Jelavic was alright yesterday some great chances missed

need a striker badly. I don't know what was going on with Jelavic during the half season where he couldn't stop scoring, but that's not the player he is and I would happily see him dropped from the squad completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.