Besic or Gibson?

Who would you bring into partner McCarthy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegirl

Player Valuation: £15m
Right, taking it that Barry is out for the long term, who would you bring into partner McCarthy?

No brainer for me but seems mixed on here.

He did great the other night for the last 15/20 minutes,but I thought it was a tough one for him to come in today and play virtually the full ninety after such a long absence.

I think Gibson is a more natural fit for taking the ball from the centre halves and filling in for them when they split or go forward, although Besic is obviously more dynamic.

Gibson for me, although there should be plenty of chances for them both now.

I thought today was the right call by Martinez to bring on Gibson. I thought on Thursday during his cameo he looked sharp, passing was great and thought he looked ready to be selected. In fact I thought he would start with James today. Obviously still not there yet sharpness wise but let's not write him off yet, let's at least wait until his leg permanently falls off which judging by our injury run isn't that far fetched.

I'd go for Gibson. I realise he didn't have a good game today but think he's more suited to play alongside McCarthy than Besic is. If it was McCarthy out injured than Besic most definitely. Probably will have Gibson and Besic for a few weeks seeing McCarthy pulled a hamstring.
Based on actual footballing ability (movement, pace, comfortable level on ball etc) then Besic would be the best option. He has lots of potential.

However what Gibson lacks in such qualities, he certainly has Premier League experience and has shown good passing and composure in the past.

Think back to two seasons ago and how influential Gibson was in our midfield; when he was injured we were all at a loss.

If Besic undertakes the role then either he, or McCarthy (one of them), need to be on strict instructions to hold their position. Barry underpins us.

Thus, Gibson I think would be the more natural choice to fulfil this requirement in a more suitable way: round peg for round hole.

Whoever is shown will definitely be under the spotlight to fill a hugely important player's boots - it won't be an easy task.

Status
Not open for further replies.