Article on Jose Baxter on BBC Sport site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the kid is an absolute fool for turning down's Everton's offer of a 2 year deal, and I think he's finding out the hard way how stupid his decision was. Publicly, he'll try to kid everyone that he made the right move, but 99% of footballers in his position would not have made that same decision. Yeah, reserve team footy is soul-destroying and probably not what he wants/needs at this point, but neither is sitting on his arse at home not getting paid, or going on trial at League 1 clubs in early September after the season has already started.

He should have took Everton's offer and got his money guaranteed for 2 more years. Odds are, he'd probably have been put out on loan again, so he'd have been getting guaranteed money AND first team footy in the lower leagues.

As in the real world/real life, it's a lot easier to get another job if you're already in a job, rather than unemployed/'a free agent'.

I think the kid is an absolute fool for turning down's Everton's offer of a 2 year deal, and I think he's finding out the hard way how stupid his decision was. Publicly, he'll try to kid everyone that he made the right move, but 99% of footballers in his position would not have made that same decision. Yeah, reserve team footy is soul-destroying and probably not what he wants/needs at this point, but neither is sitting on his arse at home not getting paid, or going on trial at League 1 clubs in early September after the season has already started.

He should have took Everton's offer and got his money guaranteed for 2 more years. Odds are, he'd probably have been put out on loan again, so he'd have been getting guaranteed money AND first team footy in the lower leagues.

As in the real world/real life, it's a lot easier to get another job if you're already in a job, rather than unemployed/'a free agent'.

You're not wrong. If he takes another two years pay courtesy of Everton and flops, he could still have some tidy savings if he ends up playing for Yeovil. Unfortunately for him, he's had a shocker. He probably thought he'd 'do a Gosling' and get snapped up by another prem team.

Might sound a bit trite this, but somebody should arrange a meeting between Baxter and Billy Kenny.

Not saying Baxter has any of the problems that blighted Kenny, but Kenny is a brilliant example of how you can have all the talent in the world, but without the will to apply it and coupled with an ego, you can throw it all away very easily, and be left with a lifetime of regrets about what might have been.

Baxter is a young scouse lad who lived his dream and played for his boyhood club. If the worst thing he's done was be in a car while one of his mates had a joint and a bit of funny money on him then he's an angel based on what most of us probably done. Must be a few bad sunday school beauts on here judging by some of the comments about him.

He turned a year deal down because he got a taste of first team football and wanted more of it. Brave in my book. Hopefully he'll find his place in the game.

Couldn't agree more. People are making some very nasty comments about him for no valid reason.

Might sound a bit trite this, but somebody should arrange a meeting between Baxter and Billy Kenny.
Not saying Baxter has any of the problems that blighted Kenny, but Kenny is a brilliant example of how you can have all the talent in the world, but without the will to apply it and coupled with an ego, you can throw it all away very easily, and be left with a lifetime of regrets about what might have been.

What a player he could have been.

He was released by the Police without charge so have to take it that he'd done nothing wrong. Love the way you dismiss drug and counterfeit currency offences as though it was something as minor as littering......

You'd get a smaller fine if caught with a doobie than the 80 quid you get from littering. My point was that he weren't involved in anything serious and he's been slated off the back of 20 mins of football.

You'd get a smaller fine if caught with a doobie than the 80 quid you get from littering. My point was that he weren't involved in anything serious and he's been slated off the back of 20 mins of football.

I know he wasn't involved in any wrongdoing. I've said that already.

I'm not as familiar as you with fining tariffs for various offences so I'll take your word for that. Just thought the Sunday school beauts comment was interesting considering that the lads in the car with Baxter were bad scallies involved in some serious cr@p. Seemed like that stuff was being dismissed as nothing.

Baxter is a young scouse lad who lived his dream and played for his boyhood club. If the worst thing he's done was be in a car while one of his mates had a joint and a bit of funny money on him then he's an angel based on what most of us probably done. Must be a few bad sunday school beauts on here judging by some of the comments about him.

He turned a year deal down because he got a taste of first team football and wanted more of it. Brave in my book. Hopefully he'll find his place in the game.

You started your thread with this :

"Baxter is a young scouse lad who lived his dream and played for his boyhood club"

Then you say hes done nothing that any other young scouse lad has done.

Well guess what, he wasnt a normal young scouse lad, he was a young scouse that was living his dream, so guess what, he shouldnt be driving about with cars full of funny money and drugs.

He turned a year down cos he thought he was better than that, well guess what, he aint, now hes sitting at Home getting fat.

I guess he can go for as many drives as he likes now.

"Baxter is a young scouse lad who lived his dream and played for his boyhood club"

Well guess what, he wasnt a normal young scouse lad, he was a young scouse that was living his dream, so guess what, he shouldnt be driving about with cars full of funny money and drugs.

He turned a year down cos he thought he was better than that, well guess what, he aint, now hes sitting at Home getting fat.

ha ha well in cows keks , plus hes not a blue

Haha, so he should have binned all his mates cos he's a youth player at Everton? I'd love to see what got said about him then. Either that or he should ask people if they've got anything on them everytime he gets in a car.

I don't know where your from, but, almost anybody from inner city Liverpool or the surounding area's will have mates who smoke a bit or are involved in minor petty crime. He weren't charged with anything so he done nothing wrong. And if the car was 'FULL' of funny money and drugs he would have been.

You don't know why he turned the year down anymore than I do but he's looking to play the game, not sit on the bench getting fat, so he deserves a bit of credit when some players are happy going through thier whole career sitting on the bench.

One thing I do know was that he was gutted he didn't make it here.

Appears to have signed a "short-term deal" according to his twitter with Oldham:

jose baxter â€￾@jbaxter_37

Made up to have put pen to paper for OAFC. Hopefully good 3 points tomorrow.

rl â€￾@rlowe15

buzzing for my mate @jbaxter_37 on getting short term deal for Oldham athletic fc, good for both party's!! Onwards and upwards mate x

Status
Not open for further replies.