An American perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings from Dallas Texas... as a lifetime Dallas Cowboy fan, I had no previous interest or patience in the sport of football so popular in the rest of the world. Even growing up, I detested soccer. However after watching the last 2 World Cups, I slowly started to enjoy and appreciate this great game. Once this last World Cup ended, I felt a little let down- and ended up heeding the advice of a local sports radio station that suggested its listeners should adopt a Premier league team to follow. After doing a bit of research online, I ended up with the Everton boys. Three months later, I do not regret my choice- I will be a Toffee fan for life! With the time difference I usually cannot watch live, but its been great to record each match and sit down with my son, some cold beer and a nice fire. However, what brought me to this forum today was an attempt to get some fan perspective- the QPR match broadcast seemed very odd to my son and I, and we actually spent more of our time laughing and yelling at the announcers! They went on and on about how lucky each goal was by deflection and seemed to spend the entire broadcast telling us how awful Everton was and how bad they felt for QPR. I have seen every match since October, and what I saw last night seemed about the same. (so I cannot compare to past seasons) Yes its not always aggressive and exciting- I am not sure if that is due to available personnel or the conservative style that Martinez coaches, but for a life long American football fan, this team is very entertaining. Does this years team play a completely different style and technique than previous years? I can certainly understand long time supporters being frustrated if things are not living up to expectations. From a newbie point of view, it does appear that we do not have 2 or 3 offensive scoring threats to strike fear in the hearts of opponents, which would be nice- only Lukaku seems to rise to the occasion sometimes with pure athleticism. Barkley has really shined the last few matches I have seen so hopefully he can continue to develop. I think we have also really missed Naismith during this stretch- he really seems to be a catalyst for setting things up in the middle. However, with that being said, our guys seem technically sound, and from my in-experienced eyes, have really been competitive in the vast majority of every contest. Not sure how hard a climb in the standings it will be from now through the end of the season to get back into contention- but I certainly did not understand some of the boos I heard on the broadcast last night. In American football, the only time we normally hear booing like that is maybe after your quarterback has thrown his 2nd or 3rd interception of the game, or maybe going into half-time and the local team is losing big, but certainly not late in a game where your team is in total control. It was 3-1 at that point in the QPR match. Anyway, that's my two cents- cheers from Texas!
welcome to American Evertonianism. That NBC announcer was horrible for the QPR match. NBC is usually decent and NBC Live Extra is a godsend. Some particular announcers are truly biased and have no business being on air (you'll find many of these have past affiliations with RS). Here is the NBC link to give feedback: http://www.nbc.com/contact/general. If enough people complain, then I expect NBC will clear out the bad apples.
Regarding the team, Lukaku is the team's record signing and team earnings have been good so the hope is that Everton will increasingly be able to bring impact players into the squad. I think Everton supporters had very high expectations entering the season and what you're seeing is them run out of patience with those expectations not being met. Thin squad and injuries have hit hard so far this year but big picture Everton is still on the ascendency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, your watching a team this year where the expectancy level is higher than last year,the fans and pundits know what the team is capable of but this season for whatever reason ,we're not as good, hence the negative vibe .Then again, when we get on a run all will be rosy again !.

In regards to the announcers, I believe this was the first time here in America we've had to listen to Martin Tyler call an Everton game this season. Usually when Tyler is calling a "a Big Everton game", NBC has their own broadcast with Arlo White which spares us from Tyler's kopite ways.

Greetings from Dallas Texas... as a lifetime Dallas Cowboy fan, I had no previous interest or patience in the sport of football so popular in the rest of the world. Even growing up, I detested soccer. However after watching the last 2 World Cups, I slowly started to enjoy and appreciate this great game. Once this last World Cup ended, I felt a little let down- and ended up heeding the advice of a local sports radio station that suggested its listeners should adopt a Premier league team to follow. After doing a bit of research online, I ended up with the Everton boys. Three months later, I do not regret my choice- I will be a Toffee fan for life! With the time difference I usually cannot watch live, but its been great to record each match and sit down with my son, some cold beer and a nice fire. However, what brought me to this forum today was an attempt to get some fan perspective- the QPR match broadcast seemed very odd to my son and I, and we actually spent more of our time laughing and yelling at the announcers! They went on and on about how lucky each goal was by deflection and seemed to spend the entire broadcast telling us how awful Everton was and how bad they felt for QPR. I have seen every match since October, and what I saw last night seemed about the same. (so I cannot compare to past seasons) Yes its not always aggressive and exciting- I am not sure if that is due to available personnel or the conservative style that Martinez coaches, but for a life long American football fan, this team is very entertaining. Does this years team play a completely different style and technique than previous years? I can certainly understand long time supporters being frustrated if things are not living up to expectations. From a newbie point of view, it does appear that we do not have 2 or 3 offensive scoring threats to strike fear in the hearts of opponents, which would be nice- only Lukaku seems to rise to the occasion sometimes with pure athleticism. Barkley has really shined the last few matches I have seen so hopefully he can continue to develop. I think we have also really missed Naismith during this stretch- he really seems to be a catalyst for setting things up in the middle. However, with that being said, our guys seem technically sound, and from my in-experienced eyes, have really been competitive in the vast majority of every contest. Not sure how hard a climb in the standings it will be from now through the end of the season to get back into contention- but I certainly did not understand some of the boos I heard on the broadcast last night. In American football, the only time we normally hear booing like that is maybe after your quarterback has thrown his 2nd or 3rd interception of the game, or maybe going into half-time and the local team is losing big, but certainly not late in a game where your team is in total control. It was 3-1 at that point in the QPR match. Anyway, that's my two cents- cheers from Texas!

1. This tosh forum is for you mate

2. This thread is for Americans
http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/for-all-of-our-new-american-bretheren.68645/

3. Read the dictionary if you get lost on any Wool words @chicoazul or @Woolly Blue use
http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/t...-colourful-words-appendix-2010-version.29081/

4. Get to know about FFP. Its vitally important if you want to issue forum smack downs to those that know no better. Plus you'll become familar with the identity of who is the bestest poster on GOT.

5. @MoutsGoat knows literally nothing about football

6. @davek knows nothing about Everton. But he's an expert in the psychology of Kopites and his best work is in the World Football forum

6. Naismith. He's world class.

Welcome aboard. I have been a Cowboy fan since the Tom Landry Roger Staubach days. A huge win at Philly coupled with a needed win against QPR at Goodison have both my teams on the up. I hope you enjoy this club like the Cowboys as I have for over fifty years. Harry Catterick & Tom Landry shared the same steely eyed persona.

good post, Tylor and Waddle were terrible. At one stage we were 3 up and QPR had 1 shot on target and they were banging on about how they deserved to be in front. QPR knocked the ball around a bit and pushed high for the first 20 mins but really, they offered nothing and I always thought Everton seemed comfortable. Ridiculous commentary!
As for the booing, Last year we would pass the ball around in our own half and then find a telling ball to the forwards or carry the ball forward, this season we tend to play the ball in our own half, then play it back to Howard then play it in our own half then loose it. Besic put in a lot of tackles but a high percentage of these were cleaning up after we lost possession in our own half.
Fans have seen what we are capable of under Martinez and when they see the same mistakes being constantly repeated, they get frustrated. Booing a team or players is rarely a good idea tho (as you mentioned)

Welcome Cuz, to turn around a line about Texas, you weren't born in Everton but you got here as soon as you could.

Announcers; now I neither know or care about you politics, but Sky and the big money status quo, would be like Fox news at democrats and while QPR are not in that clique they are in London, we are a threat to this status quo if we get our act together, they don't like it.

As to the other; how we are playing. We are in a period of after the honeymoon transition, commonly called 2nd season syndrome by some, this plus poor form and Injuries are causing us to struggle.

Booing; Yes it seems to be a bit harsh Booing when you are 3-0 or 3-1 up, But for me and some others it is as much about how you achieve the result as the result.

It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it.

The nearest I could come is with a very poor and no doubt Ill informed American Football comparison.

You have a 1st down - 10 yds to make, you make a total hash of it, it's now 2nd and 19, instead of trying to improve with your 2nd 3rd and 4th down, you bring the kicker on and punt = boo.

That's my 2c worth

Oh btw it isn't even this good some years, I've seen some utter garbage

But when we are good we are VERY good

Welcome to the EFC emotional Rollercoaster

Status
Not open for further replies.