An American perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philtex

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
Greetings from Dallas Texas... as a lifetime Dallas Cowboy fan, I had no previous interest or patience in the sport of football so popular in the rest of the world. Even growing up, I detested soccer. However after watching the last 2 World Cups, I slowly started to enjoy and appreciate this great game. Once this last World Cup ended, I felt a little let down- and ended up heeding the advice of a local sports radio station that suggested its listeners should adopt a Premier league team to follow. After doing a bit of research online, I ended up with the Everton boys. Three months later, I do not regret my choice- I will be a Toffee fan for life! With the time difference I usually cannot watch live, but its been great to record each match and sit down with my son, some cold beer and a nice fire. However, what brought me to this forum today was an attempt to get some fan perspective- the QPR match broadcast seemed very odd to my son and I, and we actually spent more of our time laughing and yelling at the announcers! They went on and on about how lucky each goal was by deflection and seemed to spend the entire broadcast telling us how awful Everton was and how bad they felt for QPR. I have seen every match since October, and what I saw last night seemed about the same. (so I cannot compare to past seasons) Yes its not always aggressive and exciting- I am not sure if that is due to available personnel or the conservative style that Martinez coaches, but for a life long American football fan, this team is very entertaining. Does this years team play a completely different style and technique than previous years? I can certainly understand long time supporters being frustrated if things are not living up to expectations. From a newbie point of view, it does appear that we do not have 2 or 3 offensive scoring threats to strike fear in the hearts of opponents, which would be nice- only Lukaku seems to rise to the occasion sometimes with pure athleticism. Barkley has really shined the last few matches I have seen so hopefully he can continue to develop. I think we have also really missed Naismith during this stretch- he really seems to be a catalyst for setting things up in the middle. However, with that being said, our guys seem technically sound, and from my in-experienced eyes, have really been competitive in the vast majority of every contest. Not sure how hard a climb in the standings it will be from now through the end of the season to get back into contention- but I certainly did not understand some of the boos I heard on the broadcast last night. In American football, the only time we normally hear booing like that is maybe after your quarterback has thrown his 2nd or 3rd interception of the game, or maybe going into half-time and the local team is losing big, but certainly not late in a game where your team is in total control. It was 3-1 at that point in the QPR match. Anyway, that's my two cents- cheers from Texas!

Welcome mate, we have an increasing number of US based blues, I am sure they will all pop in to introduce themselves.

@TX Bill is a fine Texan and one of our moderators....

I'd have thought the Martinez way of playing was one of the least exciting for US viewers. Some games this season we've been able to count the number of efforts on goal on the fingers of one hand, despite having majority possession.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
You'll get used to commentators having very firm points of view, some tend to will a certain team to win and can seem somewhat biased, I'm sure you're used to that from other sports.

The booing has been commented widely I think on twitter and on here, that shows it's not a typical occurrence.
I think that lots of Evertonians was nervous going into the match because we have had (at least seemingly) a tendency to perform badly or even lose against teams that we should beat comfortably. The thing to remember when watching football in general, but maybe Everton especially is that you can't really take anything for granted.

QPR was a fine game though, and as RM commented on this was against a team that can punish you if you allow them to counter on you, so we had to be clinical and make the advantage count, which we did. Agreed with his substitutions as well.

I can understand that it might seem like we aren't scoring enough or being dangerous enough going forward, but we are among the most scoring teams in the league. I envy all the new Evertonians that are coming in these days (lots since the world cup) that can watch Everton with as many classy options especially in attack . Barkley and Lukaku are very young still and both are secured on long contracts which is massive for us. Naismith has an amazingly precise touch, Mirallas has unpredictable and elegant runs, you'll probably not see a cooler and classier player than Eto'o. All of those can score goals, on top of which we got some of the best wing backs around.

IMO the problem this season has been in defense as we have missed some players to injury and had to rotate too much in our back 4, and defensive midfielders, as well as some nasty defensive errors leading to goals. However whilst we conceded 16 goals in the first 7 games, it's down to 8 in 8 now. Not great yet but much improved.

To me though the most exciting thing about this current team is the midfield, we have been able to carry the ball on the wings and counter for a while, but the way we play from the back and pass the ball is what is going to take us further as it allows us to dominate. Barry and McCarthy has been vital and we have exciting options in Besic and the prospect in Ledson.

Welcome! The NBC announcers were unusually bad this week. Typically, announcers and analysts are benevolent towards Everton on NBC. COYB!

Thanks everyone... I appreciate the hospitality. Thanks for the insight Mr. F., I have noticed from watching the stats so far that we have been in the top 4 or 5 in scoring- but unfortunately giving up too many in the process.

Hello & welcome. The boo's are a sign of frustration from some of the support towards the decision making. There is reason to both points of view at odds re that.
So far as the comms go, it seems you are getting the full Premier League experience. The imbeciles that commentate here (Gary Neville's punditry to one side) are very often utter garbage.

so. Which local radio sports station? And what research?

I'd have thought the Martinez way of playing was one of the least exciting for US viewers. Some games this season we've been able to count the number of efforts on goal on the fingers of one hand, despite having majority possession.
I personally crave our possession style seeing as our national team can't often string 3 passes together. Sure, it hasn't been greatly effective yet this year, but at its best it's a treat to watch!

It is. Last season's was absolutely not tho. Can't tell you how many times I read people say 'man I love how Everton play' last season. This season? Not once.

Greetings from Dallas Texas... as a lifetime Dallas Cowboy fan, I had no previous interest or patience in the sport of football so popular in the rest of the world. Even growing up, I detested soccer. However after watching the last 2 World Cups, I slowly started to enjoy and appreciate this great game. Once this last World Cup ended, I felt a little let down- and ended up heeding the advice of a local sports radio station that suggested its listeners should adopt a Premier league team to follow. After doing a bit of research online, I ended up with the Everton boys. Three months later, I do not regret my choice- I will be a Toffee fan for life! With the time difference I usually cannot watch live, but its been great to record each match and sit down with my son, some cold beer and a nice fire. However, what brought me to this forum today was an attempt to get some fan perspective- the QPR match broadcast seemed very odd to my son and I, and we actually spent more of our time laughing and yelling at the announcers! They went on and on about how lucky each goal was by deflection and seemed to spend the entire broadcast telling us how awful Everton was and how bad they felt for QPR. I have seen every match since October, and what I saw last night seemed about the same. (so I cannot compare to past seasons) Yes its not always aggressive and exciting- I am not sure if that is due to available personnel or the conservative style that Martinez coaches, but for a life long American football fan, this team is very entertaining. Does this years team play a completely different style and technique than previous years? I can certainly understand long time supporters being frustrated if things are not living up to expectations. From a newbie point of view, it does appear that we do not have 2 or 3 offensive scoring threats to strike fear in the hearts of opponents, which would be nice- only Lukaku seems to rise to the occasion sometimes with pure athleticism. Barkley has really shined the last few matches I have seen so hopefully he can continue to develop. I think we have also really missed Naismith during this stretch- he really seems to be a catalyst for setting things up in the middle. However, with that being said, our guys seem technically sound, and from my in-experienced eyes, have really been competitive in the vast majority of every contest. Not sure how hard a climb in the standings it will be from now through the end of the season to get back into contention- but I certainly did not understand some of the boos I heard on the broadcast last night. In American football, the only time we normally hear booing like that is maybe after your quarterback has thrown his 2nd or 3rd interception of the game, or maybe going into half-time and the local team is losing big, but certainly not late in a game where your team is in total control. It was 3-1 at that point in the QPR match. Anyway, that's my two cents- cheers from Texas!

Welcome! If you were watching on NBC, then the co-commentator was a guy called Chris Waddle, a former England international. And you're right, Waddle was really on our case last night. Maybe when he played for Newcastle and Sheff Wed and visited Goodison, he got some grief off the Everton fans and has never quite gotten over it.... Who knows, but it was a bit over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.