7th -> EL what does it take

Status
Not open for further replies.
It needs avoiding like the plague.

I hope Southampton win the LC, and another PL club not in any European spot makes the final. I think that does the trick in terms of steering us away from the poison chalice.

Obviously a European jolly would be great for us fans and would help improve our exposure as a club which in turn may attract incoming players.

On the other hand however, I wouldn't be overly concerned if we didn't get Europe this year as I worry that our squad will still be spread thin.

There is nothing better than invading a European city in our thousands.... for this reason alone I hope we get EL

I hope Southampton win the LC, and another PL club not in any European spot makes the final. I think that does the trick in terms of steering us away from the poison chalice.
Don't understand this sentiment. It's only this country that views the Europa as a nothing competition. Hopefully we'll have the money to attract quality players but make no mistake, they see EL, rightly IMO, as a good European competition and so it'd certainly strengthen our case when chasing said players.

Only cup winners qualify, not runners up.

Utd win league Cup, someone in the top 6 wins FA cup, 7th gets EL. Simple as that.

...yep, just looked this up and the rules for the FA Cup changed in 2015. If the FA Cup Winners have already qualified for Europe their place is no longer allocated to the runner up. As you say, an additional place qualifies via League position.

Don't understand this sentiment. It's only this country that views the Europa as a nothing competition. Hopefully we'll have the money to attract quality players but make no mistake, they see EL, rightly IMO, as a good European competition and so it'd certainly strengthen our case when chasing said players.

...it's funny how good a competition it was when the Reds nearly won it. I'm with you, it would be good if we can qualify. The fans love a day out and it should be viewed as winnable.

What if United win the Europa League and finish outside the top 4 ?
Only 4 teams allowed into the Champions League so this messes thing up a bit.

Is it group stage qualification, or first round qualification like west ham had? Cos koeman surely isn't gonna be bothered about first round qualifying, starts a couple of weeks after the season ends?

What if United win the Europa League and finish outside the top 4 ?
Only 4 teams allowed into the Champions League so this messes thing up a bit.

5 now allowed in CL, but as only teams above us are still involved in CL and EL then same as before. If Utd win the league cup and a team from top 6 win the facup then 7 => EL

Yeah. Maybe we should finish 8th just to make sure. A good start would be to throw the head to head with Albion

EL qualification is a positive because

1) Can help us attract players in the summer

2) Gives the players and coaches an opportunity to get experience against European opposition before we hopefully qualify for CL.

3) Gives us an opportunity to give some of our younger players first team experience.

4) Gets us used to playing 2 games per week and the disruption that comes with midweek foreign travel.

5) A good run helps with the coefficient rating for when we do qualfy for CL. Pot 3 is decidedly better than pot 4.

6) It exposes the club to a wider catchment area/fan base/player base and just gives us generally more kudos.

7) Gives us another avenue/opportunity to qualify for CL.

8) Increase match day revenues.

9) Gives the boys an opportunity for some days out across Europe.

The only downside is that it will affect our league position. In the short term I have no doubt it will but we have to go through that pain barrier to get where we need to be to progress as a club. The sooner this process starts the better.

No it doesn't. Only in England do we think like that.

It's a major trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.