3 years today

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
Three years ago today, one of our own, Gary Speed tragically lost his battle with depression.

Gary's sister Lesley said: “If someone had asked me (at the time) if I thought that my brother was depressed I’d have said no, absolutely not. He hid it from us, because people who are suffering from depression are not only fighting the illness but they are fighting the stigma that goes with it"

Feeling down? Can't "pull yourself together"? Can't, or don't want to talk to anyone?

Well, you're here because you can anonymously read/talk about Everton on GrandOldTeam.

Don't forget - if you feel like it, there's a self-help thread pinned at the top of our Everton forum, which allows for discussion and help between fellow Blues on depression related issues. You don't even have to post, just read. It's helped loads of Blues who was/are finding life tough, it might help you.

Perhaps GOT's most valuable thread. The lids here are as nailed on as a Titus Bramble own goal to provide a helpful earful if you are face to face with the black dog... Three years already? My.

This being human thing is fraught with distress. You're not alone, and many of us have been there.

Never give up, never surrender.

Wonderful thread that will help many people.

Please talk to someone as it can really help..I left it so long, bottled so much up. I went down a dark road and felt as if nothing mattered anymore. In the end I spoke to someone, if I had not I doubt I would be here today. I have a wonderful wife, kids, family and friends. They have been fantastic. I have to take pills, but they do help me. Therapy helped so much and made me understand why I feel like I do. I still get down, but I know I can talk to others. It is all day by day, but life is good. I was the joker who made everyone laugh, only when alone that smile would be replaced by darkness. Please talk to someone...You can talk to me by pm, I understand. I will talk to anyone who needs help, and accompany them to doctors etc if they so needed me to.

I have first hand experience of this too, not myself but my significant other, and it came incredibly close to the worst outcome. Believe me, help, whilst unfortunately not the easiest to get at the moment, is out there, and IT WORKS. Don't give up if you don't get the right answer first time. Persist and there are rewards.

Just don't bottle it up. It is nothing to be ashamed of.

.........a footy match lasts 90mins but being connected with the great game offers so much more. Social friendship and support are prime examples and well done to all for offering help.

The common theme is ' talk or chat to someone'. Always. Always do that. Don't let depression darken your door. Its a personal battle that we all can win. Its a cliche I know but we have a common enemy we can all help defeat.
was about to post something similar

if youre feeling down, even if you don't think you're 'depressed' or its that significant, talk to someone

the great thing about the internet is youre only ever a few clicks and keystrokes away from someone who is either going through or has gone through similar.

honestly feel that every forum should have a thread like ours (and i'm sure many do), we're all human, we all bleed, we all have negative thoughts, & most importantly we can all do with a little help every now and then

Status
Not open for further replies.