3 year contracts ...change of policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think the club was too easy to hand out extensions in the past. Maybe it’s hard to ask a League One club to pay us small fees for these players.

League One clubs are struggling with the gas bill, let alone paying money for PL club footballers.

League One clubs are struggling with the gas bill, let alone paying money for PL club footballers.
I’ve said it before but I reckon 10-15 of the 92 league clubs will fold or go into administration before the season ends
Clubs all over Europe even big names are in serious trouble
That’s why I think a blind eye will be shown to our spending

....that’s interesting, I thought we subsidised salary. Not too bad if we made money on them.

I think it depends on the deal mate and that is were Brands come in, loan moves can be like you mention or you get a fee % of wages or total wage paid. I suspect we got a fee for the likes of Dowell, Connolly, certainly Pennington - he was at Leeds etc. Im fairly certain we would have got fees for Kenny and Lookman too. I remember reading a few years ago, a player from the academy has to make you 1 mill to break even on their development.

Chelsea do it all the time with their youngsters, we payed North of 7 mill for Zouma for the season.

The clever play is the option of the extra year all of the reward with none of the risk, Utd do this all of the time as a policy.
Absolutely this, the extra year option means if they are poor you get their wages off the books sooner. If they are good you exercise the option and get more years or a sale. This is what the good clubs do.

Brands out!

Without kidding though, very sensible decision this imo. Too many of our deadwood are on long and comfy contracts. They all earn a fortune here compared to most other clubs around us, so impossible to flog them. We're lucky if we can loan them out with part of their wages covered by the loaning club. Think most clubs outside England and the super rich elite do their busisness this way. I'm all for it. Especially for players over age 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.