2023/24 Sean Dyche

I suppose if you lower your standards enough, anything is possible.
We I'm sure would all like a better squad under a manager who gets them playing positive winning football. But attracting young players with aspirations to play at the top level to a club that of late are playing to stay in the division isn't realistic.

You really can't argue with his points tally this season and that keeps him in his job, for now. It all depends on the new owners going forward and what their aspirations are. The football is very difficult to watch and while I see the point of people saying that if he had better players he would play better football, I disagree. I think that, given a decent transfer kitty he would spend it on faster versions of the players he was replacing. He would definitely win more points, but, I've never seen anything in Dyche to suggest that he would play any differently.

But, have you ever seen him with a squad that's objective isn't survive relegation which has dictated %/pragmatic football?

In any walk of life, you expect a manager to manage the resource they have.

We wanted the likes of Gnonto and Gyokeres, but didn't have a pot to piss in.

He had a team on it's arse that was in a relegation scrap for successive seasons because it couldn't score goals. That hasn't changed - but he managed to get a bit extra out of us to see us comfortably safe (without the deduction).

It'll be another scrap next season unless we recruit really well this summer - has that been helped by the chaos behind the scenes?

But, have you ever seen him with a squad that's objective isn't survive relegation which has dictated %/pragmatic football?

He had a team on it's arse that was in a relegation scrap for successive seasons because it couldn't score goals. That hasn't changed - but he managed to get a bit extra out of us to see us comfortably safe (without the deduction).

It'll be another scrap next season unless we recruit really well this summer - has that been helped by the chaos behind the scenes?
Pretty much what I said, the football is acceptable, just about, whilst he gets points, the thing is if he had money to spend, he would buy quicker stronger versions of the players he has and we would play a quicker version of what we play now. Mid table with kick and run football, as I say, it depends where the new owners want to go. He's done enough to stay for now, but, long term, there is a limit to what teams that play his kind of football can achieve.

There’s probably a decent correlation between quality of players available in a team and the quality of football that is played by a team.

I’ve seen extremely good teams go to pot if their world class playmaker is missing. Everything changes, all the patterns of play, all the creativity goes. If Odegaard got injured for Arsenal it wouldn’t matter how well Rice or Partey played their role, the football wouldn’t be very good.

It’s not a ridiculous leap to think that if we gave Dyche some better attacking players than the ones we have then the football might improve. He’s never had that opportunity in his career.

There’s probably a decent correlation between quality of players available in a team and the quality of football that is played by a team.

I’ve seen extremely good teams go to pot if their world class playmaker is missing. Everything changes, all the patterns of play, all the creativity goes. If Odegaard got injured for Arsenal it wouldn’t matter how well Rice or Partey played their role, the football wouldn’t be very good.

It’s not a ridiculous leap to think that if we gave Dyche some better attacking players than the ones we have then the football might improve. He’s never had that opportunity in his career.
A perfect example is Everton under Ancelotti. When James Rodriguez was playing regularly we were near the top of the league. Once he stopped playing we were pretty poor.

We I'm sure would all like a better squad under a manager who gets them playing positive winning football. But attracting young players with aspirations to play at the top level to a club that of late are playing to stay in the division isn't realistic.
Well Bournemouth can attract some good young players and play good football. In their 11k capacity stadium, this is Bournemouth we’re talking about. Look at Palace under this new manager, look a totally different team than the one that played under Roy Hodgson for a year. But our players are all crap and can only play boot it long football.

A perfect example is Everton under Ancelotti. When James Rodriguez was playing regularly we were near the top of the league. Once he stopped playing we were pretty poor.

Yeah exactly. Take Messi out that Argentina team and see if the football is as good. One of the greatest club teams of all time in Barcelona was actually pretty blunt whenever Messi and Iniesta both didn’t play as Xavi and Busquets by themselves didn’t create much. Real Madrid play a lot better football when Modric is on the pitch linking stuff together.

These are the best teams in the world yet there’s an expectation that Dyche should be playing some decent free flowing attacking football regardless of squad quality and regardless of injuries. It’s just bizarre.

Tarkowski Coleman Mykolenko Gueye Doucoure Onana Calvert Lewin McNeil Harrison does not equate free flowing attacking football, no matter what formation you put them in or what tactics you employ. They do not have the technique to deliver that football. I actually think Dyche has had them playing some very decent passing moves that have led to goals that I’ve genuinely thought was beyond this team of cloggers.

As I’ve said before, if Dyche had Baines Lescott Arteta Pienaar Osman Yakubu and we were just battering balls from the goalkeeper over their heads and out of play then I’d be one of those criticising his management. Quite frankly though getting these current players to even follow any tactics, stay concentrated, and actually run around a bit is an achievement in and of itself considering how they’ve behaved for the 6 managers before Dyche.

When Dyche won the league with Burnley, they still played dour percentage football. They were 12th for possession that season.

Now it was effective, and that’s fine. But let’s not pretend he’d be playing free flowing football if he had some of the better footballers in the division. He hasn’t and wouldn’t.

When Dyche won the league with Burnley, they still played dour percentage football. They were 12th for possession that season.

Now it was effective, and that’s fine. But let’s not pretend he’d be playing free flowing football if he had some of the better footballers in the division. He hasn’t and wouldn’t.
Excellently put..

Do people actually think it’s not possible that dinosaur Dyche doesn’t actually know another style of football except hoofball?

Explain the £25m Beto signing.. if you want implement a different style of football, why not sign players who are likely to adapt to that?! He brought 7ft giraffes like Beto and Weghorst because that’s all he knows. Gets keepers, like Pickford does now, taking every free kick near half-way line and hoofing it into the box but here we’re led to believe he’s trying to play football but the players are crap and needs better ones …complete BS.

He got the points, fair play to him but the dinosaur is simply incapable of coaching and producing anything else. Over 10 years of management is proof of that.