The Everton Board Thread (Inc. Bill Kenwright / Blue Union)

Is it time for Change...???

• Kenwright an the Board out, We need Change.

Votes: 503 80.0%
  • Im Happy with the way thing are. Kenwright an the Board should stay

Votes: 126 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Article in the Times today.

Imagine a football club that ticks just about every box. A proud, historic club, owned by a local boy made good, playing in front of packed, passionate crowds in an atmospheric stadium, where a gifted, spirited bunch of players are sent out by a talented, determined manager with a genuine affinity for the institution he represents.
It sounds idyllic — the club in question is also well supported, well run, well managed — but in the material world that is English football in 2011, it is nothing like enough. Glory is what every fan craves, but hope and ambition come not far behind.
And hope, never mind glory, costs serious money these days, as Everton are discovering.
David Moyes looked depressed during and after Everton’s 2-0 defeat away to Bolton Wanderers yesterday, a result that left his team just three points clear of the relegation zone. Asked whether they were now in a relegation battle, Moyes replied that he had thought so “since the third week of the season” — a season that began with no less a judge than Sir Alex Ferguson tipping them to challenge for a top-four finish.
For Everton to achieve that would, on the basis of most expectations at the start of this season, entail finishing above Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool. In other words, it would require them to outperform three clubs who spend far bigger sums on transfer fees and, in particular, wages. And if Moyes’s record at Goodison Park inspires confidence that it can be done, the correlation between the Premier League and the Deloitte Football Money League tables has never been closer.
Everton’s wage bill last season, as laid out last week in their financial accounts for the year ending May 31 2010, was £54.3 million. Chelsea’s for the same period has been reported at £172 million. City’s was £133 million. Aston Villa and Tottenham, never mind Liverpool and United, spend far bigger sums on wages. Everton’s more natural position would be as one of a cluster — Blackburn Rovers, Fulham, Sunderland and West Ham United — scrambling for a top-half finish.
Time for Bill Kenwright, the Everton chairman, to loosen the purse strings? In theory, yes, but there is not much room for financial manoeuvre. Their wage bill rose by 10.7 per cent last season and other costs rose by 12.2 per cent, but their turnover shrank by 0.7 per cent. With debts of a little less then £48 million — and debts that the club has to work hard to service — the place is not awash with cash.
In order for Everton to be competitive, something has to change. A new stadium was the priority for years — there was the much-mourned failure in 2003 to raise funds to build on a desirable location on Kings Dock and the less-lamented rejection in 2008 of a development in Kirkby — but for now the club are resigned to spending the foreseeable future at Goodison Park, a ground that yielded matchday revenue of £22.8 million last season. Equivalent figures elsewhere: Tottenham £36.8 million, Liverpool £42.9 million, Arsenal £93.9 million, United £100.2 million.
Kenwright has concluded that he has to sell, having admitted that he is “a pauper when it comes to other chairmen”. But the longer his search goes on, the quieter things are on the investment front, the louder the accusations come from supporters that he is holding back the club, standing in the way of progress, putting his own interests before those of his “beloved” Everton.
It all sounds very familiar. It sounds like the accusations levelled at David Moores as he made unrealistic demands of anyone seeking to buy Liverpool four or five years ago. As the pressure grew, Moores ended up panicking, choosing the most favourable offer of the two in front of him and selling to two American tycoons who oversaw perhaps the most turbulent, chaotic, damaging period in the club’s history — a period from which the damage has yet to be fully ascertained.
Everton need a new start, but just how desperate are they? Desperate enough to demand that the search for new investment is intensified or widened, certainly, but surely not so desperate as to demand that Kenwright simply sells to the highest bidder.
The modern history of English football tells us that it is far easier to succeed with outside investment, but it also tells us that the promise of outside investment — think Hicks and Gillett, Mike Ashley, Alexandre Gaydamak, Thaksin Shinawatra, those jokers who almost ruined Notts County — is almost always far more attractive than the reality.

These, though, are the times we live in. Any change is often regarded as better than none. Even the vague promise of hope is better than a familiar sense of disappointment.
But if there is one thing worse than a prudent owner who proclaims to care as much as any supporter, it is the reckless owner who clearly cares only for himself. And the experience of clubs up and down the land, through all four divisions, tells us that if Everton could do better than Kenwright, they could also do a lot worse. An awful lot worse.

That is a psychological trick thats being played right there of a catch 22 argument.

It is IRRELEVANT if Kenwright views that the purchaser would be a poorer owner, because due to the credit crunch, Kenwright CANNOT finance the required/needed investment in infrastructure to increase turnover.

That means he's presiding over a deterioration of the financial position.

Therefore despite what argument (presumably Ian Ross) makes, not selling will have a worse impact than someone financing a stadium capacity increase.

Because the cat is out of the bag. Kenwright has resisted - decent - offers for the club.

Despite what the club's line may now be.

That is a psychological trick thats being played right there of a catch 22 argument.

It is IRRELEVANT if Kenwright views that the purchaser would be a poorer owner, because due to the credit crunch, Kenwright CANNOT finance the required/needed investment in infrastructure to increase turnover.

That means he's presiding over a deterioration of the financial position.

Therefore despite what argument (presumably Ian Ross) makes, not selling will have a worse impact than someone financing a stadium capacity increase.

Because the cat is out of the bag. Kenwright has resisted - decent - offers for the club.

Despite what the club's line may now be.

Hi Matt. It was Oliver Kay , I think he is a Red but despite some rubbish in the article there are some good points.

Hi Matt. It was Oliver Kay , I think he is a Red but despite some rubbish in the article there are some good points.

My point have view has changed after receiving information that Kenwright had rejected certain offers for the club.

This and the fact that a ground share seems to be the current board's only option which is not acceptable.

Also if they think that they have 18 months in which to facilitate a sale, they are mistaken.

The club might not be in any worry of financial collapse in that timeframe, but it would be best for everyone if Kenwright and company - went in the next 3 - 6 months.

The key point for Everton - is that we are like Alaska in turnover terms. Vast untapped revenues.

Its just Kenwright and Co. cannot afford to tap the resources.

This is especially the case compared to other clubs, who've depleted their revenue streams. Chelsea for instance. A 0.1% increase in turnover last year.

Aston Villa's revenue is stagnant. Bolton's recent success financed on debt and they'll be sell to buy for a while. Etc.

My point have view has changed after receiving information that Kenwright had rejected certain offers for the club.

This and the fact that a ground share seems to be the current board's only option which is not acceptable.

Also if they think that they have 18 months in which to facilitate a sale, they are mistaken.

The club might not be in any worry of financial collapse in that timeframe, but it would be best for everyone if Kenwright and company - went in the next 3 - 6 months.

The key point for Everton - is that we are like Alaska in turnover terms. Vast untapped revenues.

This is especially the case compared to other clubs, who've depleted their revenue streams. Chelsea for instance. A 0.1% increase in turnover last year.

Aston Villa's revenue is stagnant. Bolton's recent success financed on debt and they'll be sell to buy for a while. Etc.

I cant believe I'm going to type this (and it'll never happen again, I'm sure), but I agree with this 100%.

I do agree wholeheartedly that the club needs to be sold or have major investment within the next few months , certainly before the start of next season otherwise we can all expect more of the same next season.

I saw this earlier, I'm not sure if its been posted already but.....here goes.

Someone from that Evertonians for change group wrote a letter to the club.
http://www.sos1878.co.uk/everton-fans/everton-respond-evertonians-change-letter/

Dear Mr Kenwright and fellow members of Everton Football Club’s Board of Directors,

I, Simon Magner, am writing to you on behalf of the fan group known as Evertonians for Change. We are a group of like-minded individuals and concerned supporters who came together in early 2011 as we all fear for the future of our club. We, Evertonians for Change, are a fan group created for the sole purpose of working alongside the club in order to secure a more successful future on and off the pitch. Created in a response to fan unrest, we are a group of passionate Evertonians who want to build an open and honest dialogue with yourselves, regarding some serious questions that we believe all Evertonians have the right to have answered, especially concerning are the questions surrounding our future home and how you intend to take the club forward.

Many fans feel out of touch with current Board of Directors and are increasingly frustrated at the perceived stagnation of the Club and the inability to sufficiently back the manager in the transfer market. There are increasingly alarming levels of disillusionment and anger currently surrounding the club that you would do well not to ignore.

Change in the way Everton Football Club conducts itself in off-field business is needed, we understand the sensitivity surrounding some of the questions that require answering, but we implore you to not ignore the surge of raw emotion that is currently sweeping through supporters. We seek to bring about positive change at the club through fan involvement and interaction; we are here to restore the voice of the fans so they can make themselves heard by a club that seems increasingly withdrawn and disconnected from its fan base. We would like to meet with a board member or representative from the club as soon as possible in order to discuss our concerns.

We all want what is best for the Club, and no Evertonian wants to see the ugly scenes that have unfolded outside Anfield over the past couple of years replicated on Goodison Road. Once again, do not underestimate the levels of disillusionment, frustration and anger from your supporters. We believe this meeting could go a long way to re-establishing bridges with supporters that a lot of them believe have been reduced to ashes.
Awaiting your reply,

Simon Magner

Evertonians for Change

They received this from Elstone.

Dear Mr Magner,

Thank you for your letter to our Chairman and the Board of Directors.

The Club maintains a constant dialogue with all its fans across a range of media channels. You will of course be aware of our award winning website which provides a regular audio visual update on our activities along with a twitter feed and Facebook page all of which encourage interactive dialogue which we review and act upon. You may also be aware of the following activities we undertake on a regular basis:

• Monthly Fan Forums – which hears the views of a wide range of Evertonians
• Between 10-12 Supporters’ Club visits per season
• Bi-annual meetings with the Shareholders Association
• Annual Shareholder Forum
• Annual Fan Survey
• Day-to-day engagement from c30 Everton in the Community coaches

Within the first four of these, the Club has repeated facilitated an open debate on all subjects – there has never been any topic “off limits”. We believe all the above ensures, quite rightly, that we listen to our fans and respond to what they’re telling us, on a daily basis. Such open and frequent dialogue is important to us and will form an important part of our strategy going forwards. I would maintain we communicate openly and honestly, and on a regular and effective basis.

On the two specific points you raise, you will have seen our plans to improve Goodison Park and we expect to start work in the very near future. We are also in dialogue with the Council, land owners, developers and potential partners looking at new sites. In todays economic climate a solution, in the short term, may be hard to find.

As for taking the Club forward, we have a very clear plan which involves finding and filling bigger stadium and/or finding a new owner prepared to invest in the infrastructure and playing squad of the Club. We are active on both fronts. On a day to day basis, our focus is primarily about growing the size and loyalty of our fan base and filling the stadium on a regular basis. Of course, there is considerable detail under each of those points.

In summary, I feel our communication strategy is extensive, open and robust. I hope in addition that I have addressed your two key points.

Yours sincerely

Robert Elstone

Chief Executive Officer

This morning Alan Brazil on Talksport has Joe Royle on the phone...

"Now I know a lot of the Everton fans are turning on Moyes, woah woah woah, just woah...." and then went onto say the same crap everyone says about Everton...how we should hug and kiss Bill and Davey for us being where we are etc etc....

If those bad bells could pull themselves away from the Sky4 for just a minute, they'll realise they have no idea how the fans truly feel at Everton...

It's insulting.

Joe Royle was diplomatic about it, but couldn't wait to get talking about Citeh....

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BORING. EVERYDAY.

What i find funny is that supposidly not "attractive" for buyers or indeed the right buyers....

But the board has put the club in that position and they cant whinge and moan about the ecconomy etc due to that. They need to stop pointing fingers and do something cos its killing the club.

Own up and say we cant keep doin this cos well drop like a stone and tell us what theyre doin to change it than say "our finances are healthy"

They received this from Elstone.

Dear Mr Magner,

Thank you for your letter to our Chairman and the Board of Directors.

The Club maintains a constant dialogue with all its fans across a range of media channels. You will of course be aware of our award winning website which provides a regular audio visual update on our activities along with a twitter feed and Facebook page all of which encourage interactive dialogue which we review and act upon. You may also be aware of the following activities we undertake on a regular basis:

• Monthly Fan Forums – which hears the views of a wide range of Evertonians
• Between 10-12 Supporters’ Club visits per season
• Bi-annual meetings with the Shareholders Association
• Annual Shareholder Forum
• Annual Fan Survey
• Day-to-day engagement from c30 Everton in the Community coaches

Within the first four of these, the Club has repeated facilitated an open debate on all subjects – there has never been any topic “off limits”. We believe all the above ensures, quite rightly, that we listen to our fans and respond to what they’re telling us, on a daily basis. Such open and frequent dialogue is important to us and will form an important part of our strategy going forwards. I would maintain we communicate openly and honestly, and on a regular and effective basis.

On the two specific points you raise, you will have seen our plans to improve Goodison Park and we expect to start work in the very near future. We are also in dialogue with the Council, land owners, developers and potential partners looking at new sites. In todays economic climate a solution, in the short term, may be hard to find.

As for taking the Club forward, we have a very clear plan which involves finding and filling bigger stadium and/or finding a new owner prepared to invest in the infrastructure and playing squad of the Club. We are active on both fronts. On a day to day basis, our focus is primarily about growing the size and loyalty of our fan base and filling the stadium on a regular basis. Of course, there is considerable detail under each of those points.

In summary, I feel our communication strategy is extensive, open and robust. I hope in addition that I have addressed your two key points.

Yours sincerely

Robert Elstone

Chief Executive Officer

That wasn't a letter from Elstone, it's a satirical comedy sketch written by DaveK....

He does raise some salient points though, i think everyone knows we need investment, but there are a lot of bad Teds out there who want in. We know there is good and bad investment - there are examples of each. Its important to weed out Hick & Gillets of this world.

Really. I'd agree we need to weed out the Gaydamak types -- Hicks and Gillet had a net spend of nearly 30m in about three years. Our net spend under BK is almost zero. I'm not saying H&G are the world's greatest owners (nor do I particularly want them) however just to highlight how people put them on a list of worst ever owners (along with people who bankrupted clubs) and really you could blame the manager for spending the funds poorly and the RS fans for unrealistic expectations just as easily as H&G.

If Moyes had 30m net spend over the past three years I think we'd all be reasonably happy (hell over the bloody moon compared with the zero we've actually had).

This morning Alan Brazil on Talksport has Joe Royle on the phone...

"Now I know a lot of the Everton fans are turning on Moyes, woah woah woah, just woah...." and then went onto say the same crap everyone says about Everton...how we should hug and kiss Bill and Davey for us being where we are etc etc....

If those bad bells could pull themselves away from the Sky4 for just a minute, they'll realise they have no idea how the fans truly feel at Everton...

It's insulting.

Joe Royle was diplomatic about it, but couldn't wait to get talking about Citeh....

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BORING. EVERYDAY.

Mate, thats what all the outsiders think. They think pre moyes we were utters turd relegation fodder and when kenwright and moyes came in, they saved the club and we punched above our weight with an average squad of players...that we should be grateful for it.

Which is true.

But they still think the squad of players are average and no one is overly suprised at our position cos comfy midtable is where we should be all the time.

They also dont understand our financial position, our ability to not back the manager in the window, and the fact the same principles of the johnson era still take place but under better management.

Mate, thats what all the outsiders think. They think pre moyes we were utters turd relegation fodder and when kenwright and moyes came in, they saved the club and we punched above our weight with an average squad of players...that we should be grateful for it.

Which is true.

But they still think the squad of players are average and no one is overly suprised at our position cos comfy midtable is where we should be all the time.

They also dont understand our financial position, our ability to not back the manager in the window, and the fact the same principles of the johnson era still take place but under better management.

It's mind numbing to listen to though...

I was that close to ringing up, running him through our board members personal fortunes, then asking him why we have such a small squad, and have brought no-one in!!! In fact, we're offloading players!

Yet other teams are being crafty with good buys to try and inject a bit of life in their teams....ie yesterday, Sturridge!!

Alan Brazil would be on the backfoot like he's falling off a boat drunk...They know nothing!!!

What this about evidance of approaches of investment being turned down mate?

Not really into this whole "Evertonians for Change" thing.

For one thing that letter should probably not of been published on websites. If you weren't happy with the response it would have been better to request a position or representation within one of them meetings. That Elstone mentioned. This would and should be within a framework - see below articles of association.

It would of been better for them to enter into a private dialog with the club's current board - no one in business ever does things publicly like this E4C seem to think is normal!

So basically straight away Elstone's going to be reluctant to speak to anyone since anything said could be selectively quoted and misrepresented.

It would have been far better for E4C to have spent more time focused on identifying themselves. Putting in place a formal constituted agenda on how they will operate. They could have set themselves up as an association - with articles of association too. So the club have an idea WHO they are.

Then if it is professionally and ethically run - you have far more leverage in talking to the club.

Instead it just looks like a mob.

Its all very well writing to the club as an individual, but when you write to the club as a group, and that group claims to represent everyone else, I'd like you to think of it from Elstone's perspective. How can he have a dialog with a group like that now?

Its no good throwing your toys out the pram when on a campaign. Its about concerted and lobbying and applying selective increasing pressure. Not sniding. Just makes you look amateur.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.