Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Martinez apologists are comical to me now, you're like a wife who keeps sticking up for the husband who beats her up.

Moyes finishing 5th-7th was deemed boring with no progress being made, Martinez was supposed to be the man to take us into the Champions League and push us forward he's spent a fortune by Everton standards and we're now on course to finish a 2nd straight season in 11th.

The Martinez apologists who say he "inherited a weak squad", what does that say about his management that the weak squad he inherited performed much better than his squad what he's spent a fortune on.

Everton have gone backwards, keep deluding yourself to think otherwise, we've played a full season and 3/4 of 11th place football now what else needs to be said?

Cultists mate, not apologists. That's the Kenwright brigade.

Today's debacle was first and foremost due to tactics. The players heads were up. They were playing good football. We were two up. They've brought on Andy Carroll, we know they're going to fire crosses into the box. All we have to do is close out the win, it's not rocket science, get bodies behind the ball, maybe bring on Barry for Barkley. What manager in his right mind brings on a second striker when we're down to 10 men and defending a lead ? If some heads did go maybe the lack of leadership from the bench played a part in that.

I can't argue with this.

Agree with this. Misplaced loyalty.

He seems a nice guy, represents the club well... but it's a results business, and his results since he's been here haven't been good enough.
I would have been happy to stick with him and his "vision" for another year 8 days ago mate. We had no option.

But as I said, it appears things have changed for Everton 7 days ago.

The writing is on the wall anyway for him, as it has been with practically all average Managers, when a billionaire seeking success arrives at a club.

Why prolong the inevitable? Get rid in the Summer and let's move to our next stage as a club.

Mind you, I don't know what say Bill still has, so I fully expect Roberto to be here at least another season. And it will be another season wasted as he will go anyways soon after...and possibly a huge amount of Mr Moshiri's money spent that the big Manager could have spent this year.

I would have been happy to stick with him and his "vision" for another year 8 days ago mate. We had no option.

But as I said, it appears things have changed for Everton 7 days ago.

The writing is on the wall anyway for him, as it has been with practically all average Managers, when a billionaire seeking success arrives at a club.

Why prolong the inevitable? Get rid in the Summer and let's move to our next stage as a club.

Mind you, I don't know what say Bill still has, so I fully expect Roberto to be here at least another season. And it will be another season wasted as he will go anyways soon after...and possibly a huge amount of Mr Moshiri's money spent that the big Manger could have spent this year.

I always maintained top 8, and he'll get another go.

Mainly because I knew there was no genuine ambition at the Club.

Now, there is - or at least, we hope...

Mind you, I don't know what say Bill still has, so I fully expect Roberto to be here at least another season. And it will be another season wasted as he will go anyways soon after...and possibly a huge amount of Mr Moshiri's money spent that the big Manger could have spent this year.

Don't know, if Moshiri has been looking at the club over the last 12-18 months then hopefully he's been scratching his head at the underachievement just the same as all of us. Can't blame bill for not wanting to sack his biggest fan, but it's business not personal, he's not getting the results that are required.

Don't know, if Moshiri has been looking at the club over the last 12-18 months then hopefully he's been scratching his head at the underachievement just the same as all of us. Can't blame bill for not wanting to sack his biggest fan, but it's business not personal, he's not getting the results that are required.
Roberto will go at some stage. It is a given. It happens to all average Managers when a rich owner takes over at a big Club.
Sad but true.
Why waste another season until we get there anyway and not do it fast this Summer?

I've felt this way since early this season but I'm absolutely convinced more so than ever that today's sort of games are just what will be the case with roberto as manager, regardless of the players we have.

Away from home we will probably flourish until the point where teams start sitting off like they are the away side, as we have quality players who will use space to their advantage. This involves little tactical input.

At home we will just continue to be undone regularly and get caught in a high amount of these sea-saw type, high scoring encounters. Roberto just doesn't have any idea how to find the balance we need. He completely undervalues the basics in defence and has the admirable, if not somewhat naive mentality of backing us to outscore teams. The tactical nous needed has just been so far lacking in home games this year that it's been absolutely frightening,

With new owners, and new investment on board, not only do I want him to be replaced in the summer, I now actually think it my well happen. We need a top manager, and I mean a big name who ordinarily we'd assume would be out of our reach. We need it for our tactical development and to help guide our outstanding young side, but also just to make a statement that we are back.

If roberto is still our manager in August I'll be extremely disappointed and it will show just how far we have fallen and that mediocrity is seen as sucess.

The City semi final was the last straw for me, another game where we were doing alright, cruising away quite comfortably, and he made a couple of utterly baffling subs that just totally destroyed our shape and momentum. He's been doing that for 2 years, but City was our 3rd big game in 3 seasons that we were in a great position in and he bottled. Arsenal FA Cup quarter final, where we were 1-1 with about 20 minutes left and lost 4-1. Kiev second leg, where even at 3-1 down at half time, we were still well in the tie but capitulated further. And then City, where we led 3-2 on aggregate, had wiped out City's away goal, then made a couple of stupid subs and lost 3-1. People can blame mental strength and fitness of players, but when that is a problem that is endemic throughout the squad, that is the manager's and coaches faults. Yes the players are responsible for what happens in those 90 minutes, it is the manager and coaches jobs to spend all week getting them right in training in their preparation, organisation, fitness and commitment. We defend far too stand offish, we allow players space, we dont work hard enough, we dont mark up, and the second we concede, we look like we're going to concede every single time the opposition have the ball, no matter who they are.

With those defeats in mind, we wont win the Cup. We will likely lose to Chelsea, and even if we do get to the semi, it will only be all the more painful when we inevitably chuck it in at Wembley instead. The Cup is all we have left this season, so as far as Im concerned, we lose to Chelsea next week, get rid. Sod waiting for the end of the season, get a new man in now, the luxury of a pressure free end to the campaign, where we wont go down or get into Europe, give him a chance to see what his squad can do and see where changes are needed, and then he's well bedded in by the time pre season comes round.

The problem is none of the lists of potential replacements have really filled me with confidence. So we would likely be taking a punt on someone, which would be equally as nerve-wracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.