Barry,Barkley, Besic,McCarthy and Gibson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever plays on Saturday should run the show. Morgan (can't spell his second name) and Wanyama both suspended.

Also lost their last five which probably means they'll get back to winning ways against us although we owe them one after last season.

Barry needed the kick up the ar*e and McCarthy needs to start going forward more and backing his ability. Good to have competition

Assuming we play a midfield 2 at home, we shouldn't be playing two defensive mids, there should be an out and out ball winner and a box to box.

With our current players that is either McCarthy OR Besic alongside Barkley.

If Besic continues his upward trajectory then it is his spot to loose as he looks like a very good mix of Barry and McCarthy in the right way.

Can't believe people are writing Barry off already

I don't think anyone is writing him off, but I'm not sure he should be playing every game. Besic has this sort of furious energy in midfield that we have been lacking and I think he's done enough to warrant a run of games. I want to see what he's like beside McCarthy, although that doesn't seem to be a partnership that appeals to Martinez.

The selection dilemma at CM (or DM or whatever else you want to call it) speaks to the larger issue of squad imbalance. Once you throw Ledson into the mix, there are 8 players competing for 3 spots between CM and AM. Meanwhile, we have three positions begging to be upgraded. Difficult decisions will have to be made by Roberto, and they'll no doubt set the tone for his time at the club.

The selection dilemma at CM (or DM or whatever else you want to call it) speaks to the larger issue of squad imbalance. Once you throw Ledson into the mix, there are 8 players competing for 3 spots between CM and AM. Meanwhile, we have three positions begging to be upgraded. Difficult decisions will have to be made by Roberto, and they'll no doubt set the tone for his time at the club.

6 really. Ledson is an exciting prospect but hardly competition for those spots yet. Gibson is definitely a squad player and rarely fit enough to stake a claim anyway.

6 really. Ledson is an exciting prospect but hardly competition for those spots yet. Gibson is definitely a squad player and rarely fit enough to stake a claim anyway.

I don't disagree with that assessment in the slightest, but the point is Ledson and Gibson are here and probably want to play, whereas a first choice RW (or GK, etc) is not here.

I don't disagree with that assessment in the slightest, but the point is Ledson and Gibson are here and probably want to play, whereas a first choice RW (or GK, etc) is not here.

Ah yeah, a winger or two wouldn't go amiss. I've been trying to give Howard a chance but he's making it harder and harder every week.

Barry has not looked as good as last season, no doubt about that, but he was brought here as much to coach his positional sense to the younger players as to try and play on for up to 3 seasons. In Besic, Barkley, Ledson and McCarthy, no side has as much potential as us in midfield. They are just not quite ready yet and this season has been disjointed.

Injuries and loss of form to key players like Coleman and Mirallas have been very disruptive, add in the shakey defence and keeper and things have been frustrating.

I am still hopeful that we will see it all click into place, just needs a bit of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.