Barry,Barkley, Besic,McCarthy and Gibson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCarthy obviously plays. I would then exclude Gibson as a serious first team choice. So your then choosing between Barry, Barkley and Besic. Ledson is nowhere near ready yet.

Barry slows us down big time, imo. So I'd say it's between Besic and Barkley, who are both a bit young and inexperienced. I'd say choose Barkley if we are wanting more emphasis on attack, and Besic if defending is a higher priority.

Gibson isn't even an option with all those fit, so rule him out.

Barry slows us down too much and after Besic's recent performances there's no way he should be starting ahead of him so...

For me I'd play a midfield diamond of:

McCarthy
Besic Barkley
Naismith

OR, 4-3-3 with Besic, McCarthy and Barkley all deep.

Don't think Bobby would change the formation so it would have to be 4-2-3-1 with McCarthy and either Barkley or Besic holding...

Barry has missed 3 games, we have won all 3! I will let you figure out the rest.

This. He was brilliant last season but has been terrible this season and was partly to blame for the loss at Spurs. He should be no where our strongest starting 11 with everyone fit. Besic and Barkley should both start ahead of him and with McCarthy first choice I think Barry is 4th choice now.

If you ask me, last night proved we dont need two holding players in games at home to lower/poor oppostition. Although Barkley was playing that DM role, he was getting forward and playing more alongside Naismith than Besic.
So my strongest would be McCarthy holding, Barkley Naismith and Mirallas ahead of him with Rom and Eto up top

Besic McCarthey
Barkley

Naismith has to play for me. In that number 10 role his movement creates so much space for others. If you'e got Naisy in the number 10 and Barkley deep, his movement will allow Ross to run from deep exactly like what happened last night.

I think from now on Ross plays deep or not at all. He should be play in our team so I'd start him deep with McCarthy and/or Besic.

Barkley and Besic at home against weak opposition. McCarthy to come in and push Ross into number 10 for the big away games.

Frankly there's an embarrasment of riches in there. Except perhaps for the Fabregas/Pirlo deep playmaker type he's almost got every single type of midfielder to choose from: powerful box to box, tough tackling defensive mid, pressurising ball keeping holding mid, experienced positionally aware shielder and a quarterback style player. If you add Osman in then you have your tricky schemer.

Martinez should have the tools here to play any combination of them depending on the opposirion. Instead the 'rotation' policy is just play a half fit 33 year old 3 times in a week for 90 mins and pair him with whoever is fit. Barry should not be an automatic starter but should come in as and when his skills are required. Ahainst relegation sides at home you don't need him.

Play 3 in midfield and 3 in attack, have the full backs bomb on to make the width.

Mccarthy with Barkley and Besic in the middle, have Barry come in when needed or even use him at times as a CB.

Think ross looks better deeper, better when hes facing play and can drive forward or have more time on the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.