Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

This time of year is the worst for feeling a bit under the weather. Seasonal. Due to the shorter days and less daylight.

Some recommendations. Make sure your house is nice and comfortable and bright (but don't overdo it) but relaxing light of an evening until 10 pm. Then have lights on dimmers or put lamps. You simulate natural daylight/dusk more then.

Make sure the place is warm and relax a bit with some good (not necessarily junk!) food.

Spicy food is nice for cold weather.

People may laugh. But some people are sensitive to the changes in daylight more than they realise.

I think the run up to Christmas must also be very difficult for many, whether they be lonely, not able to be with loved-ones, or perhaps through hardship not give their loved-ones the Christmas they deserve.

I'm sure all members of GOT will reach out to their fellow blues as required, on this thread or elsewhere x.

Now's probably as good a time as any to share a bit about my anxiety issues, given that yesterday was close to the worst it has been, and it finally forced me to call the doctor. I have a pretty big problem in certain social situations, I start to feel sick, my stomach tells me that I need the toilet immediately, I sweat a lot, and suffer from pretty severe blushing (even when I don't feel embarrassed). None of this is helped by my very fair skin which makes the latter problem stand out more, and when people comment on it and laugh it only makes it worse, and makes it more likely to happen the next time. It got to the point yesterday in work where I snapped at people rather than laughing it off, and was in the toilet in bits on my lunch break.

It probably sounds ridiculous because I feel stupid writing it down, but this is something I've had to deal with for the past 10 years. Its a vicious cycle which makes my already active mind go into overdrive, I barely slept last night and I'm genuinely fed up. It's my day off and the things which I normally enjoy doing are doing absolutely nothing for me.

Anyway, it feels decent to have the doctors in a weeks time, though I wish it could be sooner.

Now's probably as good a time as any to share a bit about my anxiety issues, given that yesterday was close to the worst it has been, and it finally forced me to call the doctor. I have a pretty big problem in certain social situations, I start to feel sick, my stomach tells me that I need the toilet immediately, I sweat a lot, and suffer from pretty severe blushing (even when I don't feel embarrassed). None of this is helped by my very fair skin which makes the latter problem stand out more, and when people comment on it and laugh it only makes it worse, and makes it more likely to happen the next time. It got to the point yesterday in work where I snapped at people rather than laughing it off, and was in the toilet in bits on my lunch break.

It probably sounds ridiculous because I feel stupid writing it down, but this is something I've had to deal with for the past 10 years. Its a vicious cycle which makes my already active mind go into overdrive, I barely slept last night and I'm genuinely fed up. It's my day off and the things which I normally enjoy doing are doing absolutely nothing for me.

Anyway, it feels decent to have the doctors in a weeks time, though I wish it could be sooner.

It's never stupid mate. Everyone has a different trigger that might not be obvious to others. Well done for going to the docs

Have a look at this:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/problemsdisorders/shynessandsocialphobia.aspx

It includes details of the following help groups:

• Anxiety UK Helpline: 08444 775 774. Anxiety UK works to relieve and support those living with anxiety disorders by providing information, support and understanding via an extensive range of services, including 1:1 therapy.
  • Depression AlIiance Tel: 0845 123 23 20 Information, support and understanding for people who suffer with depression and for relatives who want to help. Self-help groups, information, and awareness raising for depression.
  • Relaxation for Living Tel: 020 7439 8705 A free membership organisation that provides information and advice on self-help methods and techniques to cope with all kinds of stress.
  • Shyness & Social Anxiety Treatment Australia Information about social anxiety, the treatment options, group therapy and workshops, support groups, articles, resources and links to other sites.
  • Triumph Over Phobia Tel: 0845 600 9601 info@triumphoverphobia.com Runs a national network of self-help groups to help people with phobia or obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) to overcome their problems using graded self-exposure. This means learning how to face up to your fears in a very gradual and structured way so that eventually the anxiety should decrease.
  • Aware - Helping to Defeat Depression Tel: (00 353) 1890 303 302 A voluntary organisation formed in 1985 by a group of interested patients, relatives and mental health professionals whose aims are to assist that section of the population who are directly affected by depression.
ps Good luck! x

As has been said, it's not stupid at all.

I have anxiety issues. A couple of months ago I had a thought cross my mind that I was going to hurt somebody and I actually had a panic attack and went to A&E because I was really scared about these thoughts. A couple of weeks later I had another panic attack and went to A&E again and the guys who came to see me put me on this NHS Crisis scheme.. Anyway, after a few days a psychologist came round to my place and explained to me that the brain hasn't evolved as quickly as technology these days has and, basically, we all still have a fight or flight system in our brains... In my case, my brain sensed these horrible thoughts and produced loads of adrenaline, which then caused my heart rate to increase, I started sweating, felt weak, needed a poo, etc.. Of course you can't fight or run away from a thought!!! This is basically the reason for my panic attacks. It's not an urge or anything to hurt someone, it's just my mind reacting to what it thinks is a danger (i.e. the harmful thought).

TBH I'm not sure what point I'm getting at.. Just writing this in case anyone else is in a similar situation to myself.

I'm now on 100mg Sertraline and I'm trying to be much more sociable, and my problem is starting to fade into nothingness!!

Love this thread btw!!

As has been said, it's not stupid at all.

I have anxiety issues. A couple of months ago I had a thought cross my mind that I was going to hurt somebody and I actually had a panic attack and went to A&E because I was really scared about these thoughts. A couple of weeks later I had another panic attack and went to A&E again and the guys who came to see me put me on this NHS Crisis scheme.. Anyway, after a few days a psychologist came round to my place and explained to me that the brain hasn't evolved as quickly as technology these days has and, basically, we all still have a fight or flight system in our brains... In my case, my brain sensed these horrible thoughts and produced loads of adrenaline, which then caused my heart rate to increase, I started sweating, felt weak, needed a poo, etc.. Of course you can't fight or run away from a thought!!! This is basically the reason for my panic attacks. It's not an urge or anything to hurt someone, it's just my mind reacting to what it thinks is a danger (i.e. the harmful thought).

TBH I'm not sure what point I'm getting at.. Just writing this in case anyone else is in a similar situation to myself.

I'm now on 100mg Sertraline and I'm trying to be much more sociable, and my problem is starting to fade into nothingness!!

Love this thread btw!!

By the way.... I realise that my situation can be a bit embarrassing/people don't want to discuss it on an open forum... If anyone can empathise with what I've gone through and wants a chat, please feel free to PM me.

I really think that this kind of anxiety is a massive problem and I'd be really happy to try and help in any way I can.

Wonderful thread that will help many people.

Please talk to someone as it can really help..I left it so long, bottled so much up. I went down a dark road and felt as if nothing mattered anymore. In the end I spoke to someone, if I had not I doubt I would be here today. I have a wonderful wife, kids, family and friends. They have been fantastic. I have to take pills, but they do help me. Therapy helped so much and made me understand why I feel like I do. I still get down, but I know I can talk to others. It is all day by day, but life is good. I was the joker who made everyone laugh, only when alone that smile would be replaced by darkness. Please talk to someone...You can talk to me by pm, I understand. I will talk to anyone who needs help, and accompany them to doctors etc if they so needed me to.

From a young age i had a fear of death, so in 1997 my uncle who was going through depression took his own life. It shattered the family and since then it's become almost obsessively in my mind of losing everyone I love and how I'll cope. In 2007 my aunty who I was extremely close to who was in and out of depression also took her own life, I went off the rails. Drinking loads and other stuff just to blank out reality. I, myself have bouts of depression. Some days my mind is blank. But from the outside it's well hidden as I'm genetally an happy, happy go lucky lad and my life now is a lot better but at least once during the day, usually last thing at night I'll have an horrible scenario of losing someone I'm close to or even myself. It only lasts for a couple of seconds then goes. Life is good but I still have those scenario's that appear. Not sure what the term for it actually is. But i function by listening to music, talking about Everton and planning stuff. Hence these thoughts only appearing when when my mind is shutting down. Hope this helps anybody watching etc.

Last edited:
From a young age i had a fear of death, so in 1997 my uncle who was going through depression took his own life. It shattered the family and since then it's become almost obsessively in my mind of losing everyone I love and how I'll cope. In 2007 my aunty who I was extremely close to who was in and out of depression also took her own life, I went off the rails. Drinking loads and other stuff just to blank out reality. I, myself have bouts of depression. Some days my mind is blank. But from the outside it's well hidden as I'm genetally an happy, happy go lucky lad and my life now is a lot better but at least once during the day, usually last thing at night I'll have an horrible scenario of losing someone I'm close to or even myself. It only lasts for a couple of seconds then goes. Life is good but I still have those scenario's that appear. Not sure what the term for it actually is. But i function by listening to music, talking about Everton and planning stuff. Hence these thoughts only appearing when when my mind is shutting down. Hope this helps anybody watching etc.

Mate, I hope you know there are many on here who as fellow blues stand alongside you. All the mods and other regular contributors to this thread will help where they can either publicly or by PM. Of course, none of us are trained, we can only offer support and an ear to listen, but as stated by many here, that in itself is a great help.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and I'm sure you're aware there's professional help available should your problems get greater than you can manage. Hopefully that will never be required....

Mate, I hope you know there are many on here who as fellow blues stand alongside you. All the mods and other regular contributors to this thread will help where they can either publicly or by PM. Of course, none of us are trained, we can only offer support and an ear to listen, but as stated by many here, that in itself is a great help.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and I'm sure you're aware there's professional help available should your problems get greater than you can manage. Hopefully that will never be required....

Thanks mate. I've learned to live with it now and I'm in a much better place, you could say I've developed experience in it considered I've had these thoughts and fears since a week before my 13th birthday. I'm 30 now, it's now just the dreaded fear of losing family that I get. It doesn't affect my everyday life but Its turned me into a deep thinker and in a good way made me a better person. You wouldn't think that if you knew me however every now and then I do have bad days and get stuff off my chest after a few drinks. For me though, I keep myself occupied and think sbout years gone by as its a great comfort. Ultimately all I ever needed during those dark days was a listening ear but I sort of grew into character. Not sure if this makes sense but i suppose depression & anxiety doesn't in some ways but what I will say is...THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL. Talk is the only medicine that works for me and on here could possibly really help!

Something I've always wondered about:

The universe is this massive place where earth is a speck. Each of us is a speck on the earth and the amount of time we exist is like one grain of sand within a beach of time. If man is just another animal on the earth (I do not have faith in religion), it seems that there's really nothing of lasting importance that a single human lifetime can achieve. And if that's the case, are we reduced to a Bentham calculus of maximizing our pleasure-to-pain ratios? Whether I experience more pleasure than any other human in the history of the world, or experience more pain, the whole thing seems a bit pointless when I think about it.

Surely lots of people have overcome this thought process. I just push it from my mind, but I would prefer to find a more satisfying answer. So I'm curious how others think about it.

Something I've always wondered about:

The universe is this massive place where earth is a speck. Each of us is a speck on the earth and the amount of time we exist is like one grain of sand within a beach of time. If man is just another animal on the earth (I do not have faith in religion), it seems that there's really nothing of lasting importance that a single human lifetime can achieve. And if that's the case, are we reduced to a Bentham calculus of maximizing our pleasure-to-pain ratios? Whether I experience more pleasure than any other human in the history of the world, or experience more pain, the whole thing seems a bit pointless when I think about it.

Surely lots of people have overcome this thought process. I just push it from my mind, but I would prefer to find a more satisfying answer. So I'm curious how others think about it.

That's a great way of putting it mate. In my situation though I've experienced some of the worst situations so I struggle to think of it as logically as that unfortunately, that's how it got to me mentally.

That's a great way of putting it mate. In my situation though I've experienced some of the worst situations so I struggle to think of it as logically as that unfortunately, that's how it got to me mentally.
I think it gets to all of us at times. Ignoring it and making myself busy works temporarily but the question always bubbles back to the surface eventually.