Everton fans Attacked in Lille

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically undercover merseyside police n french police started a riot cause they tried to arrest some alleged drug traffiker n a seven year old young lad who wanted to go to mcdonalds? tremendous policing lads.[Poor language removed].
Stay safe lads COYB

Merseyside undercover police tried to arrest two blokes they identified as hooligans / drug smugglers. Some Everton fans believed the British police were hooligans (like the bunch of idiots who attacked toffees at the Australian bar the other night) and tried to protect the guys being arrested, then the riot police came in and a few Everton fans responded by throwing bottles. Seems like a misunderstanding + police overreaction to me. Seems a bit harsh to say the police actually started the riot though.

Last edited:
@Rob_Lille is this out of the ordinary for Lille games? Any idea why this is happening? Did it happen when Krasnodar came to town (can't imagine there were loads of them)...

Nope, no troubles were reported when Krasnodar came to Lille but as you guessed, there was just about a dozen of them. I can't remember any trouble when 4000 Bayern fans came to Lille two years ago. This is totally out of the ordinary for Lille games, even against Lens, Paris or Marseille. The only other example I can think of is the game against PSV Eindhoven a couple of years ago. Dutch fans had gathered on the main square and clashed with the police. They caused more damage than evertonians though. As for the "Lille fans" who attacked Evertonians at the A-bar, I must say I wouldn't be surprised to find out they were actually banned PSG fans. Those guys have to sign at the police office before every PSG game, so other clubs' European games are chance for them to have a little "fun"...

Last edited:
The police were horrible, they were looking for trouble. As soon as I got there on the coach there was loads of them standing there in full riot gear snarling everyone. The security at the stadium was disgusting as well, little kids getting full body searches and they didn't exactly hold back when they were searching you. Police, security and getting tear gassed aside what a fantastic day, can't wait to get home now, been on this coach far to much.

Reported on the news over here this morning as Everton fans throwing bottles at police and starting the trouble. The media love a spin the plebs.
I checked on the BBC news website last night, and they were implying it was fans without tickets causing the problems, as people without tickets had been advised not to go to the centre. This is completely tulip mind, never saw a single person asked to show a ticket. Sheer lies from the BBC

Nope, no troubles were reported when Krasnodar came to Lille but as you guessed, there was just about a dozen of them. I can't remember any trouble when 4000 Bayern fans came to Lille two years ago. This is totally out of the ordinary for Lille games, even against Lens, Paris or Marseille. The only other example I can think of is the game against PSV Eindhoven a couple of years ago. Dutch fans had gathered on the main square and clashed with the police. They caused more damage than evertonians though. As for the "Lille fans" who attacked Evertonians at the A-bar, I must say I wouldn't be surprised to find out they were actually banned PSG fans. Those guys have to sign at the police office before every PSG game, so other clubs' European games are chance for them to have a little "fun"...

Ive seen this type of "it was Chelsea" arguement before.

The use of tear gas was totally unjustified. If the police had mingled with our fans. Spoke to them and been friendly

Arrests would have been easier for them and it would not of looked like a warzone.

Our fans went to Nuremberg 5 years ago and the Germans loved us.

Think the police got this totally wrong in how they handled it.

Mainly from their entire attitude and mindset.

The entire police handling of this has been idiotic.

So a load of blues get attacked the night before and the police don't think that, just maybe, a few plain clothed officers jumping all over a seemingly innocent fella would cause a reaction.

Could they not have stopped him going in to the ground? Or waited until he was in a smaller group? Or just arrested him with uniformed officers?

They must be absolutely thick.

They're probably using it as a dry run for the Euros
So basically undercover merseyside police n french police started a riot cause they tried to arrest some alleged drug traffiker n a seven year old young lad who wanted to go to mcdonalds? tremendous policing lads.[Poor language removed].
Stay safe lads COYB
That looks to be the strength of the situation as far as I can make out.

Great idea by the Home Office or whoever: use the potential tinderbox situation of thousands of football fans gathering in a foriegn town centre to try and be cute catching criminals. Well done. What a clever, successful, and discrete operation.

They're probably using it as a dry run for the Euros

That looks to be the strength of the situation as far as I can make out.

Great idea by the Home Office or whoever: use the potential tinderbox situation of thousands of football fans gathering in a foriegn town centre to try and be cute catching criminals. Well done. What a clever, successful, and discrete operation.

It's a bloody joke isn't it Dave. In turn for nabbing 2 fellas we will put a couple of thousand Everton fans at risk whilst women and kids are also present.

Well done to all Everton fans who kept their cool and once again represented Everton with minimal fuss from the fans. Amazing support as always.

It's a bloody joke isn't it Dave. In turn for nabbing 2 fellas we will put a couple of thousand Everton fans at risk whilst women and kids are also present.

Well done to all Everton fans who kept their cool and once again represented Everton with minimal fuss from the fans. Amazing support as always.

It dragged Everton's name through the mud for the sake of capturing a couple of people...would have been even worse but for Everton fans on social media making sure the media reported that chaos in an even handed fashion.

I do hope the club dont let this matter drop.

The use of tear gas was totally unjustified. If the police had mingled with our fans. Spoke to them and been friendly

Arrests would have been easier for them and it would not of looked like a warzone.

Our fans went to Nuremberg 5 years ago and the Germans loved us.

Think the police got this totally wrong in how they handled it.

Mainly from their entire attitude and mindset.
I agree bizzaro the police looked like they were going to make it happen one way or another. In fairness to Rob _ Lille it was all over social media that the banned kids from PSG were still active, I think they attacked the spurs against Lyon and it was probably them at the aussie bar on Wednesday night.

There's practically never been hooligans in Lille. The only firm we've ever had (the LOSC army) is just a bunch of far-right extremists spending their time chasing leftists in bars. And there's never been 50 of them (more like 20 maximum). So my question is : isn't it weird that all of a sudden, 50 to 100 hooligans appear out of nowhere to attack fans of a team that we do not particulary dislike ? Paris is only one hour by train...

But I agree that the Police and security are very thick. Sadly, football fans have to go through this kind of mindset every week in France.

Anyway, it was a pleasure discussing with you evertonians. Wish you the best with the Premier League and see you very soon !

Clubs like Lille and Lyon historically don't have violent ultra groups
They do, just like Everton, have small pockets of violent individuals, but not organised big groups of thugs looking to beat people up
That was the oddest part about the attack at the Australia bar. While it may sound like "it was Chelsea", it is probably more likely that the hooligans were PSG fans (the same type that got their league parade cancelled because they turned it into a violent riot)

Status
Not open for further replies.