Injury updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of players feel obliged to play through some very career-limiting injuries by accepting injections and pain relief in order to placate coaching staff who are putting pressure on...

I'm not saying who and I'm not saying where...but it does happen. Quite a lot.

It's a little bit concerning that professionals on both sides of the injury table are prepared to do that.

What page could you elaborate on then mate, would love to know why he seemed to mentally and physically lose the plot in a matter of a couple of months!

...its very difficult for me to mention, Macavennie. I am quite close to that issue from an information perspective and I would be betraying a trust. I really do apologise for not saying more.

A lot of players feel obliged to play through some very career-limiting injuries by accepting injections and pain relief in order to placate coaching staff who are putting pressure on...

I'm not saying who and I'm not saying where...but it does happen. Quite a lot.

It's a little bit concerning that professionals on both sides of the injury table are prepared to do that.
Concussions are another example - complications from them are not just career limiting but potentially life threatening.

How can you be innovative?

You have to follow medical guidelines. Its no different for sports people otherwise doctors lose their rights to practice medicine.

When doctors implant bionic limbs in people they have to get permission from medical regulators as part of official trials. These have to be ethical.

So come on. Be realistic.

Medical practitioning isn't magic.

You're right. The practice of medicine is not based on magic, it's based on science which by it's very nature is innovative.
I don't want to speak for @Eggs nor do I have specific info into our training room, but there are physicians that practice exactly the same as they did 10-15 years ago. They are behind in assimilating new data, some might say innovations, from emerging research into their everyday practice. For example....once bionic limbs have passed regulatory muster, not all providers would immediately or possibly not ever recommend or adopt that procedure into their usual practice regardless of what a guideline might say.

A lot of medical training is completed via an apprenticeship. Physicians are shaped by the mentors they have trained under. It is therefore, logical to believe there may be many similarities and few changes when an apprentice replaces the mentor.

You're right. The practice of medicine is not based on magic, it's based on science which by it's very nature is innovative.
I don't want to speak for @Eggs nor do I have specific info into our training room, but there are physicians that practice exactly the same as they did 10-15 years ago. They are behind in assimilating new data, some might say innovations, from emerging research into their everyday practice. For example....once bionic limbs have passed regulatory muster, not all providers would immediately or possibly not ever recommend or adopt that procedure into their usual practice regardless of what a guideline might say.

A lot of medical training is completed via an apprenticeship. Physicians are shaped by the mentors they have trained under. It is therefore, logical to believe there may be many similarities and few changes when an apprentice replaces the mentor.

....I didn't want to say any more, but sometimes innovation is kept in-house because clubs are stealing an edge. Physicians might want to go public and publish a paper but they are not encouraged to do so. Cutting edge stuff, but when you are better that your competitors the club might not want to tell everybody why.

....I didn't want to say any more, but sometimes innovation is kept in-house because clubs are stealing an edge. Physicians might want to go public and publish a paper but they are not encouraged to do so. Cutting edge stuff, but when you are better that your competitors the club might not want to tell everybody why.

Absolutely true. My perspective is skewed by working in academics where the competition is to get your ideas and innovations published first. The sports med physicians I work with are employed by the university not the team or club.

I don't have any insight into the medical team at EFC, but my brother in law is a MLB pitcher and I can say 100% that the quality of medical staffs and their philosophies are vastly different from one team to another. Not just in how you treat injuries but also in training philosophies that are designed to prevent injury or reinjury. Tommy john surgery, for example. My brother had it and traded notes with a friend who came up with him in the minors but had moved on to different teams and been injured. Turns out that their rehabs were vastly different. Sure there is a generally accepted schedule for tommy john rehab, but the activities that trainers have their players perform within that general schedule can be like night and day. It seems logical to think that might be the case in football as well. All very interesting stuff.

I think you'll find most medical practitioners are required to rotate during their training. They never stay in the same hospital during their training.

Also practitioners are required to attend conferences and stay "current". In fact since 2009 they can lose their right to practice if they don't.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/medical_register.asp

http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/licensing.asp

This includes doctors employed privately by football clubs.

Also there are sites that are like TravelSupermarket.com specific to doctors/nurses and practitioners to attend courses/conferences. Since they have to do it regularly.

So all this is rather nonsensical.

I don't have any insight into the medical team at EFC, but my brother in law is a MLB pitcher and I can say 100% that the quality of medical staffs and their philosophies are vastly different from one team to another. Not just in how you treat injuries but also in training philosophies that are designed to prevent injury or reinjury. Tommy john surgery, for example. My brother had it and traded notes with a friend who came up with him in the minors but had moved on to different teams and been injured. Turns out that their rehabs were vastly different. Sure there is a generally accepted schedule for tommy john rehab, but the activities that trainers have their players perform within that general schedule can be like night and day. It seems logical to think that might be the case in football as well. All very interesting stuff.

This is like comparing Everton (a premier league club with a turnover >£100milllion a season) with Burton Albion (a club in league two with a turnover of <£20million).

If the club are spending 99 pence in the pound at Finch Farm and given the cost of players not playing in the premier league - then its rather ridiculous to compare the two.

The facilities and training of staff at EFC will naturally be far superior.

This is like comparing Everton (a premier league club with a turnover >£100milllion a season) with Burton Albion (a club in league two with a turnover of <£20million).

If the club are spending 99 pence in the pound at Finch Farm and given the cost of players not playing in the premier league - then its rather ridiculous to compare the two.

The facilities and training of staff at EFC will naturally be far superior.
No it's not like that at all, the three teams I was directly talking about in the TJS example were the Braves, Rangers, and the Cardinals. All have annual revenue between $250m and $300m so it's not a question of whether the teams can afford a top quality medical team. The top quality medical teams they employed simply had different rehab philosophies. The reality is there is often no medical agreement at the cutting edge (and even for mundane injury prevention things like how much stretching to do cold, how much to do after a warm up, and how much to do during cool down). I very much doubt if training/rehab in BPL is any more homogenous than it is in MLB. If you are itk and can set me straight, please do!

Yep valid point tbh mate regarding them both having experience over there which could prove vital. I have been with the missus nigh on 14 years now and in that time we have beat the RS 3 times so if it evens itself out we should be enjoying approx 5 years of nailed on wins against them nkw
I like you have been with my missus for the last 14 years. Can't believe only 3 times in that period have we celebrated a derby win. Is the moral of this story to get new wives;)

I like you have been with my missus for the last 14 years. Can't believe only 3 times in that period have we celebrated a derby win. Is the moral of this story to get new wives;)

Hahaha nearly didn't get married after she came in bladdered when Gary McCallister scored that last minute goal and woke me up singing his name. That was nearly the end if us. The funny thing is, you should see how bitter she is when we have won those 3 times, as if we do it every season and she can't handle it. In fact it's 4 times I remember now -

1-0 carsley
3-0 aj derby
2-0 arteta and cahill
1-0 fa cup Dan Gosling

4 measly wins since 2001 is bloody wrong isn't it mate. 5 years of absolutely dry bumming that lot everywhere would do me nicely, an away win is long overdue and I really really want the lads to stop being bad blerts every time they go to Anfield and get 3 points.

Hahaha nearly didn't get married after she came in bladdered when Gary McCallister scored that last minute goal and woke me up singing his name. That was nearly the end if us. The funny thing is, you should see how bitter she is when we have won those 3 times, as if we do it every season and she can't handle it. In fact it's 4 times I remember now -

1-0 carsley
3-0 aj derby
2-0 arteta and cahill
1-0 fa cup Dan Gosling

4 measly wins since 2001 is bloody wrong isn't it mate. 5 years of absolutely dry bumming that lot everywhere would do me nicely, an away win is long overdue and I really really want the lads to stop being bad blerts every time they go to Anfield and get 3 points.
The only saving grace for me is my missus hasn't got an interest in football. Naturally she wants everton to win as she says I am so miserable when we get beat. She said the semi defeat at wembley was the most miserable she has ever seen me after a game......she was probably right. Let's hope as you say Martinez can change our mindset in the derby. Our performance at goodison last season was one of the best I have seen in a derby....the one at anfield was one of the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.