Everton v Crystal Palace. 16th April at 19.45.

What about the game on Wednesday lad?

• We will rinse them lad

Votes: 221 78.1%
  • Fancy Palace you know

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • A moody draw and train home anxiety

Votes: 38 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez will have learnt a lot about the players over the last few games and in the run in. He has been in these situations before with Wigan, needing wins to stay up but with us winning to get 4th., which we are still in with a shout for. Palace knew that we would come at them so they defended deep and played on the counter attack. We were overrun in midfield because our top 4 didn't really get back, either by instructions or just the way they play. That left Barry trying to cover all the area in front of the back 4 as Barkley needs time to develop into a holding midfielder.
Saying that I didn't think it worked last time that Mirallas, McGeady and Duelofeu were on the pitch (can't remember which game) so similar players. We didn't attack quick enough because anyone of those 3 wanted to beat a player before passing and therefore Palace were able to get back in position.
Bad night at the office and disappointing but can rectify that on Sunday.

We've survived two or more games recently when we didn't deserve to win (Sunderland, Swansea). Palace excited a perfect game plan yesterday and deserve credit even if our initial set up was too attacking/unbalanced and the subs were questionable (Mirallas/ McGeady). What makes Evertonians top fans is that we can credit the opposition when they do well and still stay to applaud our team off when they throw the kitchen sink at it and when the manager goes for it. Don't be a melt, credit the opposition and get behind the lads for the next game.

Barry is there or thereabouts as our player of the year, yes. But he's getting too old, losing what little pace he had and collects yellows at an alarming rate because of it. I think the chance of him playing this many games this well for another season is not high enough to warrant the wages he's likely to ask for.

Gibson.... great player when he's fit. But he's never fit, so cheerio. Same for Kone, who remains for me the worst signing in the thirty-one years since I started watching Everton.

You're right that we need a bigger squad for Europe next year. However, unless Barry is prepared to take a sizeable cut in wages I don't want him to come to us, because he is at the stage were his decline is inevitable and imminent. And Gibson has been a waste of a wage for nearly a year now - we've paid him well over a million pounds to get back to fitness, and he's not done it. If he's employed as a footballer, he should periodically play a bit of football.
See your point about gibbo but if we get into Europe and he gets fit would be an asset to us.
I still think barry has another few years at the top he is a very clever player.
As for Kone he needs a chance I think he could end up being a good signing.

We've survived two or more games recently when we didn't deserve to win (Sunderland, Swansea). Palace excited a perfect game plan yesterday and deserve credit even if our initial set up was too attacking/unbalanced and the subs were questionable (Mirallas/ McGeady). What makes Evertonians top fans is that we can credit the opposition when they do well and still stay to applaud our team off when they throw the kitchen sink at it and when the manager goes for it. Don't be a melt, credit the opposition and get behind the lads for the next game.

Errr Julio, your English has got a lot better all of a sudden????? Por vavor???

McCarthy had a niggle, hence his omission. Perfectly reasonable decision.

Also I think it was reasonable to play an attacking side because Palace defend so well, as we saw. Roberto gave us every chance of winning.

Unfortunately Mirallas, Deulofeu, Lukaku and to a lesser extent Barkley all had absolute stinkers.

The game was lost because the majority of our attacking players were really poor. And worse than that, they were completely unaccountable defensively, which left us badly exposed and conceding two stupidly soft goals.

If today's fixtures have taught us anything, it's that anything can happen in this league. All we can do is win our games now, and let the rest take care of itself.

Not over yet.
Agreed. Palace have now won four on the spin...and since Pulis took over have been fairly successful. They were a shoe in for relegation by a long way when he took over and he has transformed them so much that he was even touted as manager of the year.As you say, Martinez protected McCarthy knowing he had a niggle...he could not afford for it to get worse, because Barry will be getting his break/rest against City. We could not afford to have them both missing for City. This is still wide open...and it amazes me how so many are critical and are prophets of doom after one result. Barkley is still very raw, and needs careful coaching. Martinez knew exactly how Pulis would set up his team, and he picked the three 'wingers' because they are supposed to be the players most likely to beat a man by trickery or pace, which is the way you beat a packed defence. Thes people saying 'its all over'...I hope youre attitude is better if ever you have to go to war !! 4th or 5th...who would have thought it last August. COYB !!!

I personally think Deulo was a threat and needed to be worked in to the game more not taken off, maybe in taking him and MCgeady of he wanted us to be more composed and build it up. He was right to say after the game that we wanted it to much and didnt play like ourselves though.
DElofeu kept going outside the LB, so i was surprised we didn't switch wingers for the last 10 mintes of the 1st half and see if coming inside from the left might have produced something. Strange that this wasn't tried before he was taken off. In any event I'd have withdrawn Mirallas before Delofeu. And as for leaving Mirallas on yet withdrawing McGeady.....

It was in our hands now it's not expect arsenal to finish 4th they've been here before we haven't. It's a shame as this to me was and will be our only crack at it as other teams will invest heavily nxt season

That's what people were saying lat year as we were falling off the CL pace toward the end of the season.

We should be a better team and all .

what have you done with julio?

top post though, i'd say palace deserved it, but i only saw about 15 mins worth because my computer was riddled with a virus, the tit.

Not really happy with Stones' positioning for the first goal. He's stood behind Howard on the line! If he was marking Jerome he could have easily blocked Puncheon's shot.

Roberto claims that John was blocked off from tracking Dann on the corner for the second goal. It looks like he's trying to mark him from behind though.

He slips for the third goal. That can't really be helped.

The radio commentators had him down as man of the match but maybe that little bit of inexperience defensively cost us tonight?
He was comprehensively the MOTM last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.