Will Europa hinder top 4 hopes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotation will be the key really. I think I remember reading a stat somewhere that SAF made atleast 3 changes to the first team XI per game for something like 3 seasons in a row ?! The best managers don't have a set XI they rotate effectively whilst maintaining results

There's no point in us reaching the champions league without some sort of European pedigree, experience and a squad that knows how to compete on multiple fronts. In short, next season our champions league chances will more than likely be diminished (but it isn't impossible) by the Europa League, but if we have any kind of long term view of being in the champions league more than a one season Tottenham cameo, it's essential we give the EL our all and not use it as an excuse, because if we do ever make the CL, it'll be the same scenario except the midweek games will be of an even higher standard.

I think where clubs like Villa, Newcastle and especially Tottenham in years gone by have come up short is thinking the CL is the be all and end all, it isn't. Liverpool would not have done what they did in 05 and 07 if they hadn't been used to UEFA cup runs in the years preceding. The last time we had a run in the Europa League, our league form wasn't that noticeably different to the seasons either side. Winning breeds winning. As a club, our biggest problem is not consistent league form, it's cup winning form and being in the EL just gives us another opportunity for another shot at putting that right.

It also exposures us to a different style of play which will bring all our players on and gives us another opportunity to build up a feel good factor within the club. We say we don't have the squad depth of the teams around us, but in the likes of Naismith, Pienaar, McGeady, Mirallas, Deulofeu and Barkley (and potentially Ledson, Green and Dowell) we have a variety of attacking options, the area most important for squad rotation, that are all of a similar quality that can easily be rotated for a Saturday, Thursday, Sunday combination.

I'm not naive enough not to see the importance of prioritising the league, but I also think in years gone by, the EL has been used by other clubs as more of an excuse than it deserves to be for poor league form, usually it's one season wonders who were unlikely to replicate that league form for another season anyway or a team that had come up short of CL chase the year before anyway saying these extra games cost them this time around. I can concede it's obviously a factor, but no more than strong league cup and FA cup runs would be and it's definitely one that's overstated and used by managers to cover their teams not being able to follow up form of the year before.

Europa definitely affects your league form. It is like playing another half a season again. I believe we played the second most games of any team in the Prem.

It has never affected Everton's form in the league, and with all due respect that's the only team i'm arsed about.

The three home games proper go for it, the three Aways rotate, be unlucky not to get out of the groups with 9/10 points

Europa League is a must for our Club. It will bring opportunities and experience for our squad. Exposure and improved seeding for the future. We need to increase the size of our squad with probably another six players and keep the loan signings we have. Then as fans we need to make sure that Goodison rocks for every home game for the whole 90mins. EUROPA LEAGUE WIN AND TOP 4 NOT A PROBLEM

TalkSport talking about united and spurs and "there is a europa league place to be avoided". The insinuation being that like spurs and united are above it as they're trying to get into the champions league next season. So disrespectful

TalkSport talking about united and spurs and "there is a europa league place to be avoided". The insinuation being that like spurs and united are above it as they're trying to get into the champions league next season. So disrespectful

this.
mancs are just comforting them selves with that attitude. the fact is that they have been so s*** that they cant get in.
ManU could win europa league next season after they splash some cash and have good manager. another trophy chance this

Would you rather we...

a) Finished 6th and won Europa

b) Finished 4th and went out in the last 16

Simple as it sounds. with a limited squad size, funds, fixtures in Eastern Europe on a Thursday night; does anyone think we will struggle to achieve top 4?

I totally agree. In a way I wish we had not qualified for Europe this season so it could benefit our chances of qualifying for Europe next season.

"I do think I've seen too many negative comments about the Europa League as a competition - I don't agree with that at all.

"I think it is a perfect introduction for us to test ourselves in Europe and our ability to cope with the demands that brings.

"I think the time we have had together has given us real confidence and a real desire to carry on developing.

"I think getting into Europe is exactly the next step we need as a football club to be tested and push ourselves to the next level.

"And we don't want to drop our levels in the domestic leagues. So it will be a fascinating season."
_67879529_163399771.jpg

our previous record points total came in the year we got furthest in europe under moyes, with a tiny squad, so the theory it'll damage the league form kind of goes out the window

I totally agree. In a way I wish we had not qualified for Europe this season so it could benefit our chances of qualifying for Europe next season.

haha thats the type of sarcasm i say things with when i talk to people about the europa. If we got in the "champions" league we'd end up playing loads of games as well, so i dont really see the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.