where did it go wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all went wrong when the Catalan clown decided to ignore everyone else's opinions to his own downfall.

Distin, Baines, Mirallas, Osman, Lukaku and Eto'o all voiced their opinions In one form or another. Yet some still believe its everyone else's fault but his own...

There were warning signs in his first season. A lot of draws against teams against teams we should have beaten, specifically the first three games of 2013. However, the preseason of his second season set the tone for the downfall of his term as the manager of Everton. We were undercooked at the start, took our foot off the gas, and never recovered despite some nice patches of form.

There were warning signs in his first season. A lot of draws against teams against teams we should have beaten, specifically the first three games of 2013. However, the preseason of his second season set the tone for the downfall of his term as the manager of Everton. We were undercooked at the start, took our foot off the gas, and never recovered despite some nice patches of form.
I think it's important to remember this. There really were loads of warning signs in that first season, and I don't think performances in the following two seasons have been quite as different from the first as people might think.

He seemed to have the midas touch in that first season, with things regularly falling into place even though you couldn't quite put your finger on how. At the time I was perfectly happy (a lucky manager is just as good as a genius after all) but when you look back, we hardly created a chance away at West Ham but scored 2 blinding free kicks, won at Swansea with 2 brilliant solo efforts, and fluked a win at home to Hull with an offside goal and a shocking decision not to send off Barry. The defining performances of that season for most people were those at Old Trafford and The Emirates in December, and even both of those saw the opposition hit the woodwork. In between the great days there were plenty of shockers, and there was supporter unrest really early on, including some pretty ugly scenes at Selhurst Park with players getting involved. I'm not rewriting history here, 5th was a really good return and we were excellent at times, but I don't think the change in fortunes is quite as inexplicable as some suggest.

Basically the 7 game winning run in season 1 was a complete anomaly, we haven't had a run anything like it either before or since. Take it out and Martinez averages about 1.3 points per game in the remaining 104 games of his tenure. So if we'd picked up points at that rate over those 7 games we'd have got 10 instead of 21, which (depending on who we picked them up against) would probably have seen us finish 8th. Would many people even have wanted him to be given a 3rd season if he'd finished 8th and 11th in his first two years?

I first started having doubts after the Leicester game last season. Twice we were leading and twice their tails were up, they could smell blood and Martinez didn't react. That was then followed by leading 2-0 against Arsenal. Giroud comes on and Arsenal were getting themselves back into the game, they score and again Martinez didn't react. That was then followed by the 3-6 Chelsea calamity.

West Brom at home last season with the pen incident. Think alot of chemistry left the team that night. Obviously I have got a secret peep hole in the dressing room but I bet there was some kick offs in there.

Leicester have proved team spirit is more important that individual talent.

Preseason during his 2nd season was the starting point. We were extremely ill prepared for a season that would end up having 10 extra games due to Europa. Buying Lukaku was necessary but it left us with so little cash we didn't have a squad big enough to handle a longer season. Older players like Distin/Howard/Pienaar/Baines sharply declining left him with even fewer choices. He got his get out of jail free card through the Europa league last season and promptly fell flat again this year. He's stubborn, prideful, and, to an extent, ignorant. He fails to recognize when things are going wrong and can't motivate his players to perform every game.

West Brom at home last season with the pen incident. Think alot of chemistry left the team that night. Obviously I have got a secret peep hole in the dressing room but I bet there was some kick offs in there.

Leicester have proved team spirit is more important that individual talent.
Sorry to break this to you mate, but that's not a peep hole.

Second season they figured it out and Martinez, instead of adapting, stuck with it.
Teams began to pressure the defence more and crowd the midfield/box when we had the ball.
The inability to break these teams down through ineffective passing, and the defensive errors (too many to blame on individuals, rather a lack of coaching/coherent defensive tactics) meant that we conceded more and scored less.

I think this is important--team nearly leads the league in goals from individual errors, but I can't see the fault down to individuals.

Would many people even have wanted him to be given a 3rd season if he'd finished 8th and 11th in his first two years?

If it was 8th and 11th, no, not even a 3rd season. If it was 11th then 5th then 11th, maybe a 4th season yes, much like Moyes didn't get the boot after getting 17th. 1 season can be felt as a blip, not 2 seasons in a row. Same theory can be applied to saying Moyes couldn't bring us any further when he'd not brought us any closer to Europa, let alone UCL.

The opportunity that Everton has missed this season is a tragedy.
Leicester on the other hand, have created miraculous history...an extraordinary triumph.

Never thought I'd say this but ...'Leicester that'

I remember two games in particular around October in that first season, before the 3-3 derby which started the great run through late fall and into the spring.

Away to Palace when we escaped with a goalless draw after playing terrible and they missed two absolute sitters.

Then there was a game home to Spurs....another 0-0 which made any of the home games since the turn of this year seem like the 1960 European Cup Final.

(Note to the teenagers....that was the Real Madrid v Eintract Frankfurt one at Hampden Park, regarded by many as the greatest football match ever :))

It all went wrong when the Catalan clown decided to ignore everyone else's opinions to his own downfall.

Distin, Baines, Mirallas, Osman, Lukaku and Eto'o all voiced their opinions In one form or another. Yet some still believe its everyone else's fault but his own...

Several times, in several thread we have asked people to stop essentially calling the current manager names. Especially when you feel the need to reference his lineage, which has NOTHING to do with his performance as a football manager.

Infractions/warnings will be handed out if you or anyone else feels compelled to ignore this.

Status
Not open for further replies.