Homepage Update: Viva Hate

Status
Not open for further replies.
merseyderby.jpg
Bottom left, bloke looking round at the sign and the kid next to him is me and my dad.

Remember that like it was yesterday.

Wools, Foreigners and millennials who don't know how to behave like true scousers when it goes against them and they're not getting their own way are mainly to blame along with the eradication of our social structure in general turning the majority into complete narcissistic oversensitive easily outraged self entitled bellends.

Last edited:
It's worth pointing out it's not just us who hate them. Media aside, they are detested across the country and beyond.

Yip.

I was in Portugal watching the Jagielka derby.

I had found a pub with no English at all, just locals.

They all sat pretty quietly during the game.....I was kicking every ball.

When Jags scored I jumped up and to my surprise practically everyone in the bar was clapping and laughing at the TV screen ;)

I started worked and spent all my money in the early eighties watching the blues, I'd taken all the ribbing in the seventies from them and we finally were challenging.
Then Heysel happened and we weren't able to continue at the level.
We were in Rotterdam the day before, not 'much' trouble but it was a great night
They seemed to have been able to brush Heysel under the carpet, whilst the issues of Hillsborough were front page news.

I have family who are RS and they know that when it comes the footy, I do hate them.
I hate the club as they manipulate the media so well and have people in influential positions to help them (when they were 5th but still managed to get in the CL). Brian Barwick being the worst.
I was even glad when Utd beat the league titles record, and if we have another [Poor language removed] season the only solace if they win nothing as well.
Bitter? Yes, but I also know, that they know, that we know, what they are really like and how in some cases they get away with anything.

There is a stunningly large hole in their character where humility should be. Everything they seem to do makes me cringe or shudder. Like the way their diluted fanbase means local r/s 'overscouse' themselves, becoming the stereotype and wearing it as a badge of honour. Melts.
I have good mates who are r/s but the become different when they're in a crowd, like the Borg.
I was raised to not like them. The old man would always say 'they grow cabbages there' whenever we drove past the tip.
But, their inability to grasp the reality of situations like Heysel, amongst others, and how others view things, instead repeating the party line mantra like has turned that dislike into a genuine hatred for all they represent, which isn't our city btw, but a true corporate whore with a fetish for patent leather fascism.
I have totally stood by the Hillsborough campaign as many others do, would never call or shout 'murderers' or 'wall-pushers' at them because basically, as an Evertonian, I am better than that. A few more should remember that. Shouting that stuff is what I would expect of them if the roles were reversed. UTFT!!

Jim Keoghan submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

Viva Hate
merseysidederby-1024x442.jpg

There was a time when Everton and Liverpool supporters revelled in a uniquely friendly rivalry, so the story goes. The apex of this was the 1980s when the two clubs dominated English football.

As fans, we were united in our city’s brilliance, each respectful of the others footballing achievement. Supporters would travel to Wembley together and the terraces would come alive with chants of ‘Merseyside, Merseyside, Merseyside’.

And then it all went wrong. The fraternity broke down. The Heysel disaster and Everton’s subsequent loss of their place in the European Cup is seen by many as the seed from which our now toxic rivalry eventually grew. From that point on the relationship began to alter and the two sets of supporters saw each other as more than just rivals and instead as something more loathsome.

But how much of the above is really true?

It’s certainly the case that for many years the rivalry between the clubs was relatively benign.

When the first league Derby took place in 1894 the only enmity that existed was between the respective boards (who were each smarting slightly after the acrimonious split). From Everton’s perspective, the board’s desire to win was best illustrated by the promise of a silk hat to each of the players should they vanquish their neighbours. And as all of us who have played football know only too well, when there is a silk hat at stake you tend to play to the best of your ability.

In the years that followed, within the context of a less partisan nationwide football environmental in general, the two sets of supporters rubbed together fairly amicably. Fans of each team would go to each others’ stadiums and Derby day rivalry was generally good natured.

But from the Shankly-era on, when Liverpool started to become the footballing presence that most people would recognise today, the relatively benign relationship definitely began to change. I doubt there are many Evertonians who lived though the team’s inability to win a derby game during much of the 1970s, and suffered the unending smugness of our neighbours, who would agree that the relationship between the blue-half and the red-half of the city was as amicable as some people would like to suggest.

‘I think from the 1960s onwards, a cockiness on Liverpool’s part (born from success), combined with occasional inflammatory remarks from their managers and players bred hostility that hadn’t been there before. It might not have been like it is today but increasingly you saw more of a divide between the two sets of supporters’ says lifelong Blue John Bohanna.

Superficially, during the 1980s the relationship appeared, to the outside world at least, to be defined by that pre-1960s cordiality. Fans did travel to Wembley together, some supporters did chant ‘Merseyside, Merseyside, Merseyside’ and a few of those involved in these games do look back fondly at the apparent sense of camaraderie.

‘At the end of the Milk Cup Final I ran around Wembley with Alan Kennedy. We had a blue scarf and a red scarf tied together above our heads. I remember the fans singing ‘Merseyside, Merseyside’, Merseyside’ and it still brings a lump to my throat thinking about it now. It was an occasion that you just don’t forget and which was a privilege to be part of’ recalls John Bailey fondly.

And yet, despite this veneer of cordiality, the process of growing mutual antipathy that had started in the 1960s maintained its inexorable progression. Take that Milk Cup Final as an example. To an outsider, the fleets of mixed cars heading south together and the chants of ‘Merseyside’ speak of an occasion that seemed to embody the notion of the ‘friendly derby’.

But from another perspective, as Graham Ennis from WSAG explains, the day can be seen differently.

‘Although people travelled down together and there was no division between the fans, that’s just what the city is like. But that didn’t mean that Evertonians had any affection for Liverpool. And when it came to the game, I recall the Evertonians singing Everton songs because we were proud of what our team had done. I think the ‘Merseyside’ stuff came from the Liverpool fans, largely because they knew they’d underperformed and probably wanted to extract a bit of pride from the game by jumping on the ‘Merseyside’ bandwagon.’

‘Merseyside/Merseypride’ might have played well in the press and the rivalry was free from the violence that characterised cities such as Glasgow, Milan and Belgrade but to suggest that Liverpudlians and Evertonians were one big happy family is just a myth.

But what is certainly true is that the relationship between the two sets of fans has deteriorated markedly since the 1980s, reaching the point today where the breakdown is probably irrevocable. Too much has passed between the clubs for this ever to recover.

Each set of fans has their own list of grievances. Reds think us Blues bitter, jealous and consumed with envy, and we Blues think them smug, shallow and almost homo-erotically obsessed with Kenny Dalglish (or Jurgen Klopp, Steven Gerrard, Ian Rush etc etc.etc, take your pick)

The ‘bitter’ tag is an odd one for Evertonians because although many of us of a certain age do unquestionably harbour a degree of resentment for what unfolded after Heysel, it barely compares to the level of resentment that Liverpudlians harbour towards Man Utd for superseding their achievement, a level of sourness that would be best visually represented by the image of Dot Cotton licking [Poor language removed] a lemon. It’s often hard and confusing to be labelled ‘bitter’ by the bitterest fans in the country.

As a result of the above and any number of additional grievances, the Merseyside derby has become one of the most poisonous fixtures in the Premier League calendar. The games themselves are rarely beautiful to watch, consisting mainly of frenetic football and wild tackles. For most local fans the tension that’s created exceeds that of other games and in a city as divided as Liverpool in football terms, winning the fixture and being able to hold your head up high at school or work the next morning is something that really matters.

But ultimately is there anything wrong with this? Football is by its very nature a partisan sport. As long as it doesn’t descend into violence, is animosity between sets of fans something to be discouraged?

It’s not as if support of either team precludes each set of fans from befriending each other. Disagreeing with a friend’s football choices doesn’t mean you can’t ultimately get along.

After the internecine violence that so marred the game in the 1970s and 1980s it’s understandable that a lot of supporters would like to see the back of this kind of animosity that is evident between the fans of certain teams. But I think that’s part of the game’s appeal and without it football can be a little bland.

Changes to the game over the last twenty years have already robbed football of much of its character and so we should be glad that fixtures such as our Derby still exist. The atmosphere might be toxic but it’s also exciting in ways that clashes between teams that ‘get along’ could never hope to be.
Enjoyed reading that. Cheers mate! Well written

To me who grew up in the 70's never winning derbies, even going to and losing cup finals in the 80's there was never a problem. No it changed in the 90's one when they couldn't beat us, ( we went 11 years undefeated at Goodison) coupled with the local Liverpool fans who gave up their season tickets due to lack of 'success' meant the out of towners came flooding in meaning the local rivalry doesn't exist especially at Anfield. All seater means you can't get the 5-6000 Everton fans on the Kop any more and now blues are isolated in a sea of arrogant non local fans who aren't therir mates and relatives. You may as well sit on the Streford End as a blue - we have nothing in common with them and they just feed on the bitter tag. Last time I went to Anfield was 99 and when we scored fans jumed up all over the ground. Now thanks to Thomas Cook etc any blue getting a ticket in the red end would be wise to keep quiet. We have taken many a tonking on the chin, imagine the frothing at the mouths reaction from reds if we were to win- our fans would be locked in at the end of the game now. This is their cup final now THE game they daren't lose cos if they are going to win nowt which they usually do, the minimum they must do is at least finish better than us. Sadly our bottling players just seem to accept this.

...hate is a strong word, I prefer dislike.

Hate is a very strong word.
I hate LFC though, and always will.

My first memories are my brother getting punched when Sharp scored in 84 and then Hysel getting us banned thanks to 'them'.

They call us bitter yet despise any other club having success (they froth at the mouth at the mere mention of SAF/United/Chelsea/Citeh).

To me who grew up in the 70's never winning derbies, even going to and losing cup finals in the 80's there was never a problem. No it changed in the 90's one when they couldn't beat us, ( we went 11 years undefeated at Goodison) coupled with the local Liverpool fans who gave up their season tickets due to lack of 'success' meant the out of towners came flooding in meaning the local rivalry doesn't exist especially at Anfield. All seater means you can't get the 5-6000 Everton fans on the Kop any more and now blues are isolated in a sea of arrogant non local fans who aren't therir mates and relatives. You may as well sit on the Streford End as a blue - we have nothing in common with them and they just feed on the bitter tag. Last time I went to Anfield was 99 and when we scored fans jumed up all over the ground. Now thanks to Thomas Cook etc any blue getting a ticket in the red end would be wise to keep quiet. We have taken many a tonking on the chin, imagine the frothing at the mouths reaction from reds if we were to win- our fans would be locked in at the end of the game now. This is their cup final now THE game they daren't lose cos if they are going to win nowt which they usually do, the minimum they must do is at least finish better than us. Sadly our bottling players just seem to accept this.
Strange that when they were completely dominant in the 70s things were OK-ish, then things deteriorated as they themselves fell back to being just another good team. The RS haven't been a properly strong side for 25 years + when you think of it.

Personally I'm approaching NEA I'm happy to say - two things brought this on. One was the Dogleash's last stint in charge that was so beyond parody that I had to question whether it was fair to even laugh at them. It felt embarrassing to hate such a self-evident circus of a club. Much more than that, though, was the beautiful moment of April 2014 - Steven G slipping on his arse. Aeschylus himself could not have authored a more perfect tragedy.
Obviously it provided closure to Gerrard - you'll never, ever win the league son. But I also felt myself that it was a fitting point to stop being arsed about them.

They only care about us. They’ve allowed their own club to slip from the top of the English game to being 5th or 6th best without so much as a word. They adore their owners and adore their manager despite both presiding over trophyless periods that have seen them slip further away from the elites. The one thought that keeps them content though is ‘at least we’re above Everton’. I’m not sure why they behave that way because United fans under Fergie demanded to be ahead of Arsenal, then it was Chelsea, before finally being bothered by the noisy neighbours. If they had finished 6th with no trophies they’d never say ‘least we were ahead of City’.

Perhaps it’s rooted in the fact that when they were in the middle of one of their most dominant periods we came from nowhere and created a team so obviously superior to them and recognised by most as such. It certainly stung them into huge transfer sprees and seems to have left a chip on the shoulder of the likes of Rush Dalglish Souness Hansen Lawro that they’ve never got over. Despite United ‘knocking them off their perch’ they all still spend the majority of their time in the media taking shots at us. Carragher and Gerrard are the same now. Despite their success they see Everton as this ghost to be feared should we rise again, perhaps because they know that if we do the full extent of their recent failure will be laid bare. The only thing keeping the glare of the media and the baying hordes of kopites from revolt is Everton being rubbish. The day we’re not is the day that your average Liverpool fan starts to think ‘why haven’t we won the league in 29 years?’. We got a glimpse of this bitterness when we finished ahead of them under Moyes. They were extremely nasty in playing down that achievement writing it off as quickly as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.