VAR

“Quite rightly booked for the challenge on Moreno”. Thats bollocks, the ref carried on, ignoring that challenge until all the hand bags, meant he stopped and booked both.

I agree that Tarks goes in very hard and some could arguably be a red in todays game, whether that is right or wrong. Especially the one against us / Richy of course ;)

With Tarks, yes they may be full blooded, but if mis-timed which thankfully not many are then could easily be a straight red.

As far as I know (not looking back on all of his challenges) he often gets 100% of the ball and then the player, which I expect works very much in his favour, and to be honest its a challenge which we don't want to be removed from the game.

Anyhow, my main point about the challenge was to compare almost with the DCL one....

Unsure how in same teams, 1 week or so apart one of these challenges can be deemed a red card after advising of an on-field review (despite nothing given at the time) and the other can be a yellow card and free-kick only.

The CP player challenge was much worse (in my opinion) than anything DCL did.

Anyhow, my main point about the challenge was to compare almost with the DCL one....

Unsure how in same teams, 1 week or so apart one of these challenges can be deemed a red card after advising of an on-field review (despite nothing given at the time) and the other can be a yellow card and free-kick only.

The CP player challenge was much worse (in my opinion) than anything DCL did.
Think the only thing you could say is the DCL incident was a learning experience that improved the following weeks game.

Admittedly, you'd have to be extremely naive to believe that and also accept how many learning experiences we seem to endure.

“Quite rightly booked for the challenge on Moreno”. Thats bollocks, the ref carried on, ignoring that challenge until all the hand bags, meant he stopped and booked both.
It was a definite booking. Ball then man challenges are not allowed any more. They're dangerous and generally unnecessary in most situations.

I agree that Tarks goes in very hard and some could arguably be a red in todays game, whether that is right or wrong. Especially the one against us / Richy of course ;)

With Tarks, yes they may be full blooded, but if mis-timed which thankfully not many are then could easily be a straight red.

As far as I know (not looking back on all of his challenges) he often gets 100% of the ball and then the player, which I expect works very much in his favour, and to be honest its a challenge which we don't want to be removed from the game.
It should be removed. Tackling to make sure you make contact with the player after the ball is dangerous and unnecessary. It's football not rugby.

I agree with most said on what you are saying here! I just didn't see any malice of danger in the Palace one, that could just be me!
If anything, i see a couple of Tarkowski's challenges......our fans would describe them as 'full blooded' or proper challenges, more dangerous (2 against Villa in particular. Its not necessarily his first action, but he's deliberately throwing the rest of his weight 'through' the tackle!
I think thats more likely to hurt someone

View attachment 243216

View attachment 243217
View attachment 243218

We all tohught this one was a stonewall red didnt we?

View attachment 243219
Everyone on here thought Tawks should have been sent off for the one on Richie but nearly everyone on here thought the two Villa tackles (basically identical) were fine. 😂

It should be removed. Tackling to make sure you make contact with the player after the ball is dangerous and unnecessary. It's football not rugby.
But then we will be moving ever closer to a non-contact sport, which we seem to be doing already. Providing the player is in control and times the tackle perfectly (gets the ball) and other factors including feet not being high etc then I do not see anything wrong with a strong challenge.

They often look worse just purely because of the reaction of the opposing player is usually embarrassing. That reaction is something I would like to have removed from the game! Retrospectively punishing anyone who over-reacts and or goes down holding their head to get the game stopped when there has been no head contact.

Good old Tarks. He made Garths team of the week :D Although Mr Crooks took a school teacher approach to telling him off for his very very naughty tackles :)

James Tarkowski (Everton): Everton were well up for last weekend's match against Aston Villa - and no-one more so than James Tarkowski. I don't know what he had for his pre-match meal but it must have been rather spicy. The centre-back is a determined and committed defender but it has to be careful. There are too many occasions where I've seen him flying into tackles when his opponent is on the half-turn; Tarkowski takes advantage of the situation by making his challenge dangerously heavy. Such was the case with Moussa Diaby when he left the Villa striker in a heap on the floor and moments later he flattened defender Alex Moreno. He was booked for the challenge and quite rightly. It's clear Tarkowski likes to mix it and there is nothing wrong with that provided he's not trying to hurt people. We had enough of that in the 1970s and 80s.
Yep. But when that bestest centerback in the werld does the same, or rakes peoples shins with his studs, it's just showing true grit. True, Tarkowski has landed a couple of heavy-ones this season (Myko too) but none have been even close to reds. Which means now that this has been raised up, I'm expecting either of them being ejected from the match within two weeks.

Good old Tarks. He made Garths team of the week :D Although Mr Crooks took a school teacher approach to telling him off for his very very naughty tackles :)

James Tarkowski (Everton): Everton were well up for last weekend's match against Aston Villa - and no-one more so than James Tarkowski. I don't know what he had for his pre-match meal but it must have been rather spicy. The centre-back is a determined and committed defender but it has to be careful. There are too many occasions where I've seen him flying into tackles when his opponent is on the half-turn; Tarkowski takes advantage of the situation by making his challenge dangerously heavy. Such was the case with Moussa Diaby when he left the Villa striker in a heap on the floor and moments later he flattened defender Alex Moreno. He was booked for the challenge and quite rightly. It's clear Tarkowski likes to mix it and there is nothing wrong with that provided he's not trying to hurt people. We had enough of that in the 1970s and 80s.
ive no problem with any of the tackles shown on the last page or two, however I suspect Mr Crooks' opinion may change if a 'daddy' player was putting in some 'daddy' challenges (just make sure naughty Jordan P isnt around)

But then we will be moving ever closer to a non-contact sport, which we seem to be doing already. Providing the player is in control and times the tackle perfectly (gets the ball) and other factors including feet not being high etc then I do not see anything wrong with a strong challenge.

They often look worse just purely because of the reaction of the opposing player is usually embarrassing. That reaction is something I would like to have removed from the game! Retrospectively punishing anyone who over-reacts and or goes down holding their head to get the game stopped when there has been no head contact.
But the Tawko one he's not in control and deliberately follows through with all his weight to make contact with the opposition. It's a [Poor language removed] house tackle in my opinion because the attack is generally a sitting duck. I hate seeing other teams do it to our players.