Tony Hibbert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really believe that his agent wasn't all over this, any agent would of been chasing the club for a decision on his future. If no decision was forthcoming we would of seen something in the media highlighting Evertons treatment of these stalwarts of the club.....

It strikes me that Hibbert has simply been looking for an excuse. Ever since no new contract was offered.

Yes Hibbert. You weren't good enough for one.

This is Everton Football Club. Not a charity.

Stinks to be honest.

upload_2016-8-7_10-42-36.jpeg

Whilst he became a multi millionaire of the back of the club, the very least the club could have done was call him in for 2 minutes to say, "Tony, we should have done this years ago, but thanks for everything, goodluck in the future and you are welcome to use the facilities to get yourself fit to find another club". Now, how hard would that have been?
Tony was one of the most limited footballers I have ever seen and we kept him for way beyond his best years, but the lad would have put everything on the line for Everton, and surley that warrents a cheerio, whip round from the lads so he could get a blue fishing rod, a signed Thank You card and his chance to go round and say goodbye to players and staff.

Whilst he became a multi millionaire of the back of the club, the very least the club could have done was call him in for 2 minutes to say, "Tony, we should have done this years ago, but thanks for everything, goodluck in the future and you are welcome to use the facilities to get yourself fit to find another club". Now, how hard would that have been?
Tony was one of the most limited footballers I have ever seen and we kept him for way beyond his best years, but the lad would have put everything on the line for Everton, and surley that warrents a cheerio, whip round from the lads so he could get a blue fishing rod, a signed Thank You card and his chance to go round and say goodbye to players and staff.

I'd send him a blue fishing rod and tell him to 'sling your hook'

Time will tell if he's right about how the club is being run now but I get the sense it's sour grapes cos he's been released and nobody met him face to face or even a phone call to tell him but he must have at least expected to be released and to go to the Daily Mail whinging doesn't do himself any favours at all considering they still let him use the facilities at Finch Farm.

Last edited:

Most of you are missing the point. His complaint is not about losing his job, it was that no one was willing to tell him. Hearing news like that via the club website is classless by Everton. Everyone has the right to expect more than that from their employer, i would say even more so if you are in the public eye like footballers. Rumors fly all the time, they have every right to not listen to (maybe even should completely disregard them) them until they hear it from someone from the club.

Doesn't matter if it comes from koeman, or Walsh, or some asst coach, or even the person who does payroll, he has every right to hear that from the club before it is posted publicly on the website. I bet each of our academy players find out that they are not being retained by a human that works for efc, why would we treat those who were never good enough for us better than those who served us for a decade?

If he was told (in person or even a phone call) and then it was posted and he complained about not being retained, then he deserves every ounce of crap we are giving him. I love his loyalty, but he was nowhere near good enough anymore and I didn't think he should have gotten his last extension.

So again, his complaint isn't about losing his job, it is about the way he found out, and I think he (and Ossie) are justified if this is true. Classless move by our club.
Why not just say he was dissapointed not being contacted
That should of covered it, and most people would of thought that maybe he has a point

Do you really believe that his agent wasn't all over this, any agent would of been chasing the club for a decision on his future. If no decision was forthcoming we would of seen something in the media highlighting Evertons treatment of these stalwarts of the club.....
Did he bother to thank EFC for the last three years of 35 k per week contract for hardly kicking a ball in anger when he knew he was crocked, and spent more time fishing!

Did he bother to thank EFC for the last three years of 35 k per week contract for hardly kicking a ball in anger when he knew he was crocked, and spent more time fishing!

Not his fault though, do you thank your employers every time you get paid? We offererd him a new deal knowing he was for the knackers yard but kept him on, that EFC's fault, not Tony Hibberts. He still went about his business and by all accounts, and was a good servant to Everton, but all he really wanted was to be told by the club that he was being let go, and not find out via friends/internet. It not a lot to ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.