2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gomes is just miles better than all the others though. It has to be remembered that Delph's best game so far also came in a home game next to Gomes, so it's not necessarily this seismic shift that it's being painted as in some quarters. Gomes has absolutely run the show in both of his last 2 games, it makes the job of the player next to him - whoever it is - much easier.

with delphs injury record I only expect him to be available for about a 3rd of our games at most so makes sense to continue with davies for now.
gomes is also very inconsistent, would not surprise me for him to be average at best next weekend.

...I don’t get too hung up on systems (there’s more than one way to skin a cat), it’s more to do with what a team does when they have the ball and what they do when the opposition have possession. It’s about players, it’s about blend (partnerships, players complimenting each other), it’s about quality and it’s about organisation.

Colin Harvey (as a coach) played two up top, but when the opposition had the ball one would drop deeper to support the midfield. It’s hard work, but these lads should all put a shift in. I suppose it’s an extension of the no10 role, so it was good to see Iwobi getting beyond the striker for that sitter he missed.
You start by saying you don’t get hung up on systems ... then describe some systems

You start by saying you don’t get hung up on systems ... then describe some systems

...no, I was just giving an example of how Colin Harvey dealt with playing two forwards. My point being, it doesn’t really matter to me what system we play as long as we’re creative in possession and difficult to break down when the opposition have the ball.

As a starter, though, I don’t think it’s a bad idea to work off a blue print of a successful team.

I think since saturday there's been a tendency from some to talk about how they think we've been playing rather than how we really have been playing. This is an extension of that. For me the difference on Saturday was just that we executed things a lot better than we have in some other games, rather than there being a massive difference in how we actually tried to play.

Delph has definitely tried to pass forwards a lot this year, he's just not been very good at it. It feels a bit like people have got an image in their head of him being a safe defensive player and they just assume that's how he's been playing. If anything he hasn't done enough of that though, he's been trying to spray balls round left right and centre, but putting half of them out of play. Davies did well on Saturday by just keeping it pretty simple, and the movement ahead of him was massively improved on recent weeks.

Agree with all of that, Delph is always thinking to play forward as soon as he gets the ball. But his range of passing is not great and he concentrates on not giving the ball away 1st and foremost. I still think him with Gomes beside him could be a useful option

Mark Noble was another one - has made a career as a premier league footballer, probably earns £30k a week, has played at all the top grounds, has million in the bank, no doubt lovely house and car and doesnt need to work again - yet he is absolutely woeful as well

Noble is actually underrated.

Sort of thing a koppite would say tbh.

Shock horror that football team plays better football when best two midfield footballers are selected together in midfield.
Managers keep returning to this kid because he has got something about him. You can knock him for his lack of pace, lack of goal scoring, and whatever else he gets criticised on here for but time and time again his selection proves that when he plays he makes stuff happen and other players play well around him. He links play, he looks forward, he can take it on the turn. Schneiderlin Gbamin and Delph just cannot do these things. He deserves credit where it’s due and deserves an opportunity in the team because frankly Schneiderlin and Siggurdson have been disgraceful.
It might be a tad early to judge Gbamin mate.

he played better in the opponent's half
he won the ball back and played some good one- touch passing
but he done nothing much when defending in our own half

Status
Not open for further replies.