The Yak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, I'm not sure why we need 3 threads on the same subject, but why is it kneejerking?

Kneejerking is seeing someone play well, after playing crap for ages, and thinking he will be the next Rooney off the back of it.
Yaks days are numbered.
It's no secret Moyes is looking for strikers. It's no secret he is doing so because we have a hospital regular in Saha, and a weeble wobble in Yakubu.

I wonder if anyone here was so protective of Yak in the Huntelaar thread?

One question. Why are you getting so wound up after we just tonked Hull 5-1????

Go relax and enjoy the win!

Firstly, I'm not sure why we need 3 threads on the same subject, but why is it kneejerking?

Kneejerking is seeing someone play well, after playing crap for ages, and thinking he will be the next Rooney off the back of it.
Yaks days are numbered.
It's no secret Moyes is looking for strikers. It's no secret he is doing so because we have a hospital regular in Saha, and a weeble wobble in Yakubu.

I wonder if anyone here was so protective of Yak in the Huntelaar thread?

Oh yeah...Huntelaar...

Like that was ever going to happen :hay:

Yak's got all the tools to be an absolute monster but it's pretty much common knowledge that he'll only burn you if you give him the time and the room because, unlike today, more often than not does not work for it. He'd much rather wait for you to make the mistake than force you into one with his own play.

I think yak holds the ball better and attract the attention of defenders more than saha does. I often see 2 players tracking him when he runs with the ball. This allows our winger to roam into huge gaps that make us so impressive and pretty to watch during build up.

I think yak holds the ball better and attract the attention of defenders more than saha does. I often see 2 players tracking him when he runs with the ball. This allows our winger to roam into huge gaps that make us so impressive and pretty to watch during build up.

If the movement, timing, and fluency of the team is working well, we don't need anyone to hold the ball up. What we need is someone to put it in the net.
Yak needs to prove he can still do this, as we aren't exactly strong in the striker department at the moment, despite Sahas goals.

I've got 'Yakubu' on the back of the away shirt so I can't **** him off until next season.

Go 'ed Yak.

I can't type S.lag? wow that is some strong censorship right there! It looks like I wrote something proper grim, instead of a pretty basic putdown.

And my favourite second team is S****horpe~!

Last edited:
Every team needs someone to hold the ball up, if the ball doesn't stick in the final third then your team will struggle to retain possession. There is much more to being a striker than scoring goals. A striker can score 20 goals a season yet his team could still be unbalanced behind him.

Have a look at Manchester Utd, they became a better team when they got rid of Ruud Van Nistelrooy. There team was built around him and played to all his strengths, and that's not having a go at Ruud, he's a top draw player, but that's his style. He's a finisher. Once they built it around more fluid players like Ronaldo and Rooney they started to really push on.

It's not just Yakubu's hold up play, it's his movement and willingess to get involved. You'll constantly see him drifting outwide and looking to create things, whether it's through a cross like yestersday, a creative pass or a bit of link up between him, Baines and Pienaar.

Saha is a class player, and when he gets his game right he's as complete as any striker around. But his link up play is inconsistent and he plays very centrally. He's not as fluid as Yakubu nor does he give the team as many outlets as the Yak.

Ofcourse Yakubu needs to add goals to his game, he will given time. One thing he can do is finish, his record proves that. And you don't lose that, he might lose a bit of sharpness because he hasn't been a regular but that's expected. That and the fact that he missed ten months of football and had little to no pre-season.

Well, he has between now and our first match next season to put things right, as I'm very confident we will see a striker come in during the summer window to take his place if he doesn't.
I've not checked statistics, but I wonder what our goal ratio was when we played with no strikers at all.

Every team needs someone to hold the ball up, if the ball doesn't stick in the final third then your team will struggle to retain possession. There is much more to being a striker than scoring goals. A striker can score 20 goals a season yet his team could still be unbalanced behind him.

Have a look at Manchester Utd, they became a better team when they got rid of Ruud Van Nistelrooy. There team was built around him and played to all his strengths, and that's not having a go at Ruud, he's a top draw player, but that's his style. He's a finisher. Once they built it around more fluid players like Ronaldo and Rooney they started to really push on.

It's not just Yakubu's hold up play, it's his movement and willingess to get involved. You'll constantly see him drifting outwide and looking to create things, whether it's through a cross like yestersday, a creative pass or a bit of link up between him, Baines and Pienaar.

Saha is a class player, and when he gets his game right he's as complete as any striker around. But his link up play is inconsistent and he plays very centrally. He's not as fluid as Yakubu nor does he give the team as many outlets as the Yak.

Ofcourse Yakubu needs to add goals to his game, he will given time. One thing he can do is finish, his record proves that. And you don't lose that, he might lose a bit of sharpness because he hasn't been a regular but that's expected. That and the fact that he missed ten months of football and had little to no pre-season.

as usual tocky a good post to which i agree with most of it

Cahill has basically been a 'second striker' for the last few seasons now, and when he played upfront, he played as a striker. We still played our usual 4-4-1-1.

It's not like we played four at the back and six in midfield, we played with Cahill upfront, and given his attributes, he's suited to that position.

In my humble opinion The Yak played a decent game. He was showing for the ball and looked fitter and up for it. His match sharpness will come with a run in the side. I think and hope with a fully fit pre-season behind him next season he will be back. Musn't forget how serious his injury was.
He has his knockers, but in time he will prove them wrong.....I hope. (And I don't mean man boobs either)

Cahill has basically been a 'second striker' for the last few seasons now, and when he played upfront, he played as a striker. We still played our usual 4-4-1-1.

It's not like we played four at the back and six in midfield, we played with Cahill upfront, and given his attributes, he's suited to that position.

I think you knew what I meant Toccy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.