Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Matthew Pennington

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Chris Long

Votes: 13 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuinely impressed with what Martinez is saying. Under Moyes, you wouldn't realise that we had a youth team. Martinez's transparency with the fans regarding player development is a nice change and it gives me a good feeling for the future.

Question: Do you think we'll be using young players in the Europa league next season?

Roberto: It's important that we increase numbers. We worked this season with about 22 outfield players. Next season if we are in the Europa league group stages, you need to work with 27 or 28. What that means is that there are going to be young players, but we need to have a bigger squad. Playing in Europe shouldn't be an excuse to drop our standards in the domestic league. But it shouldn't be a competition where we only use young players. We're embracing the challenge of being in Europe. We need to cope with playing on Thursdays and Sundays, and not use it as an excuse, and for that we need to get the right signings. But the answer is yes, young players will get opportunities. Even now I'm very disappointed that Ryan Ledson had to join the [England] under 17s. I felt that Ryan deserved to make his debut this season, he was very close against Southampton. Ryan has got a fantastic future. We're going to have good youngsters but we need a strong enough squad.

Question: What about Luke Garbutt and Ty Browning, are they two who might get an opportunity next season?

Roberto: They are. Obviously Luke played against Southampton, and I've been so impressed with him. Its just measuring what he needs next. Does he need more playing time, rather than just fighting for minutes in the first team? That's a decision that we need to make and Tyias Browning is exactly the same. The boy is ready physically and defensively, and he's got incredible talent. Again that decision is going to be made after pre-season. I'm going to look to see if he needs a lot of minutes, or if he's ready to stay here and fight for his time, but those two I consider first team players, even though they haven't played much.

Question: John Stones broke into the team around Christmas time, as a result of injuries to Jags and Distin. How do you see his role progressing next season?

Roberto: Obviously I knew of John Stones because I followed him closely at Barnsley. John had only played I would say 7 games at centre half. That's an incredible stat for a player who has come into the premier league and had to deal with a striker like Andy Carroll, or deal with a striker like Wayne Rooney, and he's excelled. He's still a young man and he needs to work at his game, but John Stones is going to be one of the best centre halfs that English football has seen. I do think he's a centre half. I don't think he's a right back, I think he can fit in there like many players who can play in different roles, but his DNA is to be an elegant centre half - a modern centre half where he can start the play, where he can be very influential in how you're going to attack. And then defensively he can get left 1 v 1, he's good in the air, he's quick, he's sharp and he's learning. I think Phil Jagielka has been an incredible influence on John this season, even when he was injured. He would come into the dressing room at half time and give him a word of advice. I'd never seen such an important role for a senior player as I've seen this season with Phil Jagielka and John Stones. Its been incredible to see that relationship

He hasn't mentioned McAleny in those interviews but thats probably because of his bad injury. I can't remember ever seeing him play (apart from a long range effort against arsenal) but anyone who comes through our system and is still around at 21 obviously has something about them. He's a striker too so could get his chance

Garbutt, Browning, & Ledson should all be loaned out this season

Ledson is to young to be loaned out, Garbutt will eventually move on.
A few people reckon Lundstram is not good enough.
Browning will be on the bench a few times and be available for Europa.

I think Garbutt is the reason martinez is trying to swich baines to centre midfield. Great reports on garbutt for england.

Ledson is to young to be loaned out, Garbutt will eventually move on.
A few people reckon Lundstram is not good enough.
Browning will be on the bench a few times and be available for Europa.

I think Garbutt is the reason martinez is trying to swich baines to centre midfield. Great reports on garbutt for england.
Moving one of the best left backs in Europe into midfield to accommodate another player, Oviedo or Garbutt is a strange one to me?

Moving one of the best left backs in Europe into midfield to accommodate another player, Oviedo or Garbutt is a strange one to me?
He's also the only player capable of filling in CDM if we don't acquire the correct targets... We have plenty of cover at left back but not midfield.... Lahm is the best full back in Europe and covers midfield when needed

Status
Not open for further replies.