Blackburn Rovers 6 2 1 3 7 15 7
Aston Villa 6 1 3 2 5 6 6
Wigan Athletic 6 1 3 2 5 8 6
Bolton Wanderers 6 2 0 4 5 10 6
Liverpool 6 1 2 3 10 8 5
Wolverhampton Wanderers 6 1 1 4 5 18 4
Queens Park Rangers 6 0 2 4 7 11 2

Just think where we would be if Moyes could do his job correctly all season

Hah. Actually went through the form tables just 30 mins ago. I hope that looks even better tomorrow.

It's proper incredible how our seasons keep panning out like this...no matter how crap we start & how pessimistic we get, the second half always picks up.

Is that now 5 seasons in a row where it's been like this? I remember 2 years ago Moyes complaining about how it always pans out like this and how he's been trying to figure out why...keeps happening, tho'.

Next season just for a laugh it would be high drama to see us pushing for the title at xmas, only to deflate in the second half of the season and finish 8th.

sure, we'd be feeling flat by the end of the season, but at least we'd have those glorious couple of months when we thought we were gonna win the league! that stuff is priceless. in 23 years of being evertonian i've never experienced that...

It's proper incredible how our seasons keep panning out like this...no matter how crap we start & how pessimistic we get, the second half always picks up.

Is that now 5 seasons in a row where it's been like this? I remember 2 years ago Moyes complaining about how it always pans out like this and how he's been trying to figure out why...keeps happening, tho'.

Next season just for a laugh it would be high drama to see us pushing for the title at xmas, only to deflate in the second half of the season and finish 8th.

sure, we'd be feeling flat by the end of the season, but at least we'd have those glorious couple of months when we thought we were gonna win the league! that stuff is priceless. in 23 years of being evertonian i've never experienced that...

Exactly - we all presume that a strong start would be equalled by a 2nd half of the season like we seem to have now, but that is not necessarily gonna happen. Consistency is the key, which comes from quality players who can maintain form throughout a prolonged period, hence why cream always rises to the top in the end and the teams who paid big money for such players eventually end up at the top.

Our recent league positions probably accurately reflect the general quality of player we have, better than most (best of the rest) but not quite good enough. I think it would take quite a radical overhaul of our squad to get right up there now, being a bit harsh, perhaps only Baines and Fellaini of our current first XI are of sufficient quality (jury still out on Jelavic - too early to say).

those half season tickets must be a right bargin , miss all the gashness and pay less than half the price

It is a strange one. You would think the opposite would be the case. I mean most of the teams above us go on money making tours during the close season, or have players away at international tournaments, both of which we generally don't suffer too much from. So our close season should prepare us better than most.

You also have the periodization thing going on, so the teams above us will generally pace their seasons so they're at their peak performance as the season reaches its climax. So again, you'd think the teams above us would be easier to beat in August than they are in February, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

It's not like we have a huge squad either so due to good rotation our players are fresher than the rest of the PL. If anything the opposite should be the case. To be honest I half think that because of the small squad we can't go full on all season, so pace our efforts to do well in the 2nd half of the season in the hope that we can muster enough in the first half to have a go, failing which we'll at least be in decent form for a cup run.

It just must be the players, we've had more or less the same squad past 5 years. Maybe they don't achieve a good level of fitness until after a few months

After all these years it seems like it is becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sh*te first half of the season, Ace second half of the season. This followed by a summer of us saying "If we can carry-on our form we could be top four".

After all these years it seems like it is becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sh*te first half of the season, Ace second half of the season. This followed by a summer of us saying "If we can carry-on our form and sign some new players we could be top four".

Fixed that for you. Does seem to be a recurring theme though.

Status
Not open for further replies.