Support the campaign for a statue for Everton great Gary Stevens - please sign the petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
In comparison to Dixie Dean or Sir Stanley Matthews, will some one please clarify what Hughes or Stevens has done in football to merit a statue.

Took my lad to a physio for Osgood Schlatter Disease about 10 years ago , I was gobsmacked when it was GS who treated him.
Of course I blurted out "you're GS " - "yeah I was a footballer in another life " and we left it at that. Hes in Oz now I believe.
Of course my Lad was too young to remember him but he was impressed when I told him he played in the famous "Hand of God" match.
Signed petition ;)

In comparison to Dixie Dean or Sir Stanley Matthews, will some one please clarify what Hughes or Stevens has done in football to merit a statue.

They came from Barrow. When you're from a little town, having a famous, very successful person coming from it is usually marked in some way.

http://mybarrow.co.uk/statue.html

Emlyn Hughes:

DSC_7166.JPG

Willie Horne (rugby league legend):

DSC_7116.JPG

Sir James Ramsden (town benefactor):

DSC_7124.JPG

Henry Schneider (started the industrial revolution in Barrow):
DSC_7150.JPG

Thanks to everyone who's voted so far,if you want to vote again just blag a name random email and use la14 as postcode lol

After years of having to see the abomination of the Emlyn Hughes statue, it would be good to great to see Gary Stevens get one.

Little fact, my mum used to work with his Auntie at the hospital in Barrow. Got loads of old programmes in the loft what she got for me including a signed photo of him with the charity shield and the league trophy.

FA Cup Final, the team were pissing all over the RS, we're all enjoying the sunshine and the atmosphere at Wembley and that stupid pillock gives the ball away and our dreams ended. I'd build a statue all right, providing it was one where he's saying sorry to Howard, the team and the fans...............

Status
Not open for further replies.