Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he continued playing like he did last season he really would be a great signing tbh, it's just worrying i suppose that he's 26 and done nothing of note before then, added to the fact i remember the likes of Michael Rickets looking like an absolutely world class striker for 6 months that one time before fading back into obscurity

Edit- he's 25 actually

Jelavic had a similar 'purple patch.'
Hard to find a striker who not only scores but makes the team effective.

Hopefully we can do that in the coming days.

If he continued playing like he did last season he really would be a great signing tbh, it's just worrying i suppose that he's 26 and done nothing of note before then, added to the fact i remember the likes of Michael Rickets looking like an absolutely world class striker for 6 months that one time before fading back into obscurity

Edit- he's 25 actually
He's only really had 1 good 6 month spell in his career, signs point more towards flash in pan than anything else

Most of our team is stronger. But the most important part is weaker. I feel like unless we get the right CF in it'll all be for nothing.

Winning games is all that matters. It's already been shown that we'd have finished 7th without Lukaku's goals. Scoring 2 in a 3-2 defeat counts for nothing. Keane & Pickford should reduce the amount we concede the likes of Rooney should help us learn the art of winning.

We're better equipped to win points now than we were last season.

Obviously, a top striker would be a bonus.

I don't think we'll see a big name signing but with the emphasis on spreading the goals around with the players already brought in, we should be able to sign someone who can get 12-15 goals in all competitions, that is not a huge ask.

It may be worth trying to utilise the loan market again for a striker, with a buyout option.

I am ok with Slimani coming in and that seems the most realistic signing to me now, after being decidedly underwhelmed with him initially. There may be potential for a loan there too. It would be grim to contemplate getting nobody in but I'm sure Koeman doesn't need telling and to be fair to the club, they have delivered during the summer.

Lots of possibilities can open up in the last 48 hours of the window so I am pretty confident they'll get someone in. I would like two more in but a No. 9 is the most critical. Just the one last test for them now as far as transfers go.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The form of Rooney and the nature of lads we've signed make me think we are quite suited to playing a "false 9" which also seems to suit Koeman's high press game. Rooney fits the role naturally, but also Klaasen could play in there, likewise Sandro could do it and even Sigurdsson. I think that's meant in part, that a proper number 9 will not be deployed every week and subsequently we can be more flexible in the quality and profile we go for. What we really need is a lad who will be happy to be a bit in and out of the team but give us a different option from the bench.

You also have to factor in Gana Gueye to this. A lad who was 27, had experience of the league but hadn't excelled, yet we saw something in him that meant he'd be a top player for us in a different system around better players. I could see a lad like Slimani perhaps doing that. He has decent pedigree abroad, good hold up skills, in his prime and will probably benefit being around better players. We'd also be able to bring him in at a price that isn't exorbitant. It's not the "wow" signing I'd hoped for ah la, Dembele or Dolberg and we can only hope we will look again to those lads in the winter or next summer. However I think he would do a decent job for us as part of squad rotation.

This will sound mad, but I'd seriously consider Fellaini if the price was right. With the lads we have around him I think he'd bring them into the game. Will be massively unpopular but would fit the profile perfectly.

Dzeko, Giroud, benteke and for a differing reason Vardy would all occupy the way we need a striker to do, all look unobtainable for various reasons though, and 2 would have major question marks - Benteke for his cba attitude half the time, and vardy for being an utter scrote of a human being.

Joyce effectively ruled all 4 out of being doable deals though recently, so have kind of moved on from thinking about those 4 mate.

As for Costa - the links are entirely based on Koeman effectively laughing whilst answering the question - as think it was regarded by him as a insanely silly question

But if you got him on a permanent deal - then he is 100% the best type of the centre forward in the world at what we are actually looking for. He can be an utter bell and is horrible to play against etc, but if he's one of yours then he's the type you end up absolutely adoring - Ferguson springs to mind, a 4 month loan for him - nah get in the bin, you'd get a bloke who'd basically be putting in a pre season effort to get fit for Madrid in January and would be a utter pointless distraction

The question around Costa may be how much he has his heart set on Madrid or how much he just doesn't fancy China. I'd have him thugh, even on loan and you hope DCL can advance in the year he's hear.

Of the list would love Benteke, think the fans would take to him.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The form of Rooney and the nature of lads we've signed make me think we are quite suited to playing a "false 9" which also seems to suit Koeman's high press game. Rooney fits the role naturally, but also Klaasen could play in there, likewise Sandro could do it and even Sigurdsson. I think that's meant in part, that a proper number 9 will not be deployed every week and subsequently we can be more flexible in the quality and profile we go for. What we really need is a lad who will be happy to be a bit in and out of the team but give us a different option from the bench.

You also have to factor in Gana Gueye to this. A lad who was 27, had experience of the league but hadn't excelled, yet we saw something in him that meant he'd be a top player for us in a different system around better players. I could see a lad like Slimani perhaps doing that. He has decent pedigree abroad, good hold up skills, in his prime and will probably benefit being around better players. We'd also be able to bring him in at a price that isn't exorbitant. It's not the "wow" signing I'd hoped for ah la, Dembele or Dolberg and we can only hope we will look again to those lads in the winter or next summer. However I think he would do a decent job for us as part of squad rotation.

This will sound mad, but I'd seriously consider Fellaini if the price was right. With the lads we have around him I think he'd bring them into the game. Will be massively unpopular but would fit the profile perfectly.

Understand the false number nine, but if we play that way and it isn't working, we should be able to switch style/formation and bring on a real number nine. We need that sort of depth in the squad, and we should be able to get in a 15-20 goal man given the time we've had to prepare, knowing Rom was leaving.

Most of our team is stronger. But the most important part is weaker. I feel like unless we get the right CF in it'll all be for nothing.

Agree, plus we really gave lukaku away - given the prices for other players this year we should have got 100m upfront minimum. Man United management must have been laughing at us.

As mental as it sounds that Fellaini shout is a good one. He is absolutely ridiculous at plucking the ball out of the air. His hold up and link play is fairly good. He gets a fair few goals too.

Jelavic had a similar 'purple patch.'
Hard to find a striker who not only scores but makes the team effective.

Hopefully we can do that in the coming days.
Dare I say Gabbiadini had that purple patch when he first came in January too. But hasn't scored in the last dozen games. Probs to early to call that one but there were certainly less blues fuming at missing out on him as the season wore on.

Status
Not open for further replies.