Squad Assessment going into the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimspek

Player Valuation: £8m
I've been thinking about what we're going to do in the summer and I don't think its looking too good. We need wingers and a playmaker for sure. I am not counting players on loan because we don't know if they'll be here next season. I included the player's ages as some of the players are nearing retirement/youth/resale value. I didn't include Howard and Mucha as I don't think they're an issue.

Strikers (age)
Vellios (19) Striker - Major potential but has yet to establish himself
Jelavic (26) Striker - Haven't seen much of him but so far he is living up to expectations
Anichebe (23) Striker/RM - He's bagged a few goals in his few appearances but has failed to impress on his many opportunities. Injury prone.
Baxter (20), McAleney (19), J. Silva (21) - All on the fringes, with the latter two looking like they might be leaving in the summer.

Midfielders
Cahill (32) CAM- Legend but has been out of form for a while. Hasn't got a lot of years left in him.
Gibson (24) CM - Does the dirty jobs, is looking like the best partner for Felli
Rodwell (20) CM - Young English international. A load of potential but has yet to deliver. Seems like he might be injury prone but it's a bit to early in his career to call it.
Osman (30) CAM/CM - The only somewhat creative CM. A good, consistent player. However he is past 30.
Felliani (24) - CM/CDM One of the best players at the club and in the league. He is young and tied down to a long term contract.
Coleman (23) RM/RB - makeshift RM. Overall good player and potentially (hopefully) a future at RB.
Barkley (18) CAM - Supposedly our new Rooney however he is lacking in experience. Seems to have a disappeared the last couple months.
Gueye (21) LW - In and around the first team. Doesn't seem like a bad player but hasn't impressed either.

Defenders
Distin (34) CB- Great player minus the hoofs. However his age is going to catch up with him sometime
Neville (35) RB/CM - Great captain but he leaves a lot to be desired. His age has caught up with him.
Hibbert (31) RB - Dependable but like Neville he leaves a lot to be desired. Not many years left in his playing career.
Baines (27) LB - Arguably our best player and one of the best LBs in the world. Seems like he is built out of steel as he never misses a game.
Heitinga (28) CB/CDM - This has been his breakout season for Everton. In the running for Player of the Year. Looks like a great leader despite his past snidey remarks about the club.
Jagielka (29) CB - Supposedly our best CB but he's been a bit gash this year even before his injury.
Duffy (20) CB - Had a great run at CB with Heitinga when the injury crisis struck. This kid looks like he will be a great player.

Now our loan players:
Drenthe (24) LM/RM - He can win games single handedly or he can lose them. Looks like he needs coaching and a little love. He's on a free transfer in the summer but he has high wages and needs some work. I would say we have a 50/50 chance of signing him.

Strac (24) Striker - Hardest working player on the pitch every time. He can hold up the ball, finish, and has had some surprisingly neat touches/passes. However he is really slow and is still adjusting. Is he good enough for the premier league? I would be surprised if he cost anything less than 2 million so I don't know what the chances are of us getting him.

Pienaar (30) LM/CAM - Great player, he knows how to get Everton playing, and has a great partnership with Baines. But he has no end product and he is 30 years old. He would cost at least as much as we sold him for (2.5 million).

My targets for the summer is at least one winger, a playmaker, and signing Drenthe.

Looking at our midfield right now we have three wingers, Gueye, Pienaar and Drenthe. Coleman is playing RM because no one else can. By the summer we will only have Gueye left who hasn't really broken into the team.

The only creative forces we have on the team is Baines (a LB) and our loans Pienaar and Drenthe. A playmaker is a must as we've know for a while now that our strikers are struggling without good service down the middle. A young Pienaar and Arteta each costed 2.5 million so surely Moyes has some players in mind. We just need the money.

Except we don't have any and I don't think Kenwright is ready to let go yet so what are we going to do this summer? We need to sell, get some loans at the beginning of the window, and we need to get Vellios/Barkley/Duffy/Gueye/Garbutt game time. Especially Vellios because as soon as Jelavic is injured (and Anichebe who will definitely being injured at some point) he is our number one striker. The sad thing is we have a small squad already so if we sell we need to have money guaranteed for a replacement.

Honestly I think our squad is in a really bad position. Personally, I hate to say it but I'm thinking Rodwell or Jags might be the next to go, especially if we can get that 10 million from Jags that everyone valued him at in the summer.

What are you guys thinking?

Boy, that RB situation is a bit dire. Seriously - when does Seamus get to get time there?

All the right players in all the right positions will not make any difference if we do not change our style of play.

For this we need a new manager, its that simple.

I've been thinking about what we're going to do in the summer and I don't think its looking too good. We need wingers and a playmaker for sure. I am not counting players on loan because we don't know if they'll be here next season. I included the player's ages as some of the players are nearing retirement/youth/resale value. I didn't include Howard and Mucha as I don't think they're an issue.

Strikers (age)
Jelavic (26) Striker - Haven't seen much of him but so far he is living up to expectations
Anichebe (23) Striker/RM - He's bagged a few goals in his few appearances but has failed to impress on his many opportunities. Injury prone.
Baxter (20), McAleney (19), J. Silva (21) - All on the fringes, with the latter two looking like they might be leaving in the summer.

Midfielders
Cahill (32) CAM- Legend but has been out of form for a while. Hasn't got a lot of years left in him.
Gibson (24) CM - Does the dirty jobs, is looking like the best partner for Felli
Rodwell (20) CM - Young English international. A load of potential but has yet to deliver. Seems like he might be injury prone but it's a bit to early in his career to call it.
Osman (30) CAM/CM - The only somewhat creative CM. A good, consistent player. However he is past 30.
Felliani (24) - CM/CDM One of the best players at the club and in the league. He is young and tied down to a long term contract.
Coleman (23) RM/RB - makeshift RM. Overall good player and potentially (hopefully) a future at RB.
Barkley (18) CAM - Supposedly our new Rooney however he is lacking in experience. Seems to have a disappeared the last couple months.
Gueye (21) LW - In and around the first team. Doesn't seem like a bad player but hasn't impressed either.

Defenders
Distin (34) CB- Great player minus the hoofs. However his age is going to catch up with him sometime
Neville (35) RB/CM - Great captain but he leaves a lot to be desired. His age has caught up with him.
Hibbert (31) RB - Dependable but like Neville he leaves a lot to be desired. Not many years left in his playing career.
Baines (27) LB - Arguably our best player and one of the best LBs in the world. Seems like he is built out of steel as he never misses a game.
Heitinga (28) CB/CDM - This has been his breakout season for Everton. In the running for Player of the Year. Looks like a great leader despite his past snidey remarks about the club.
Jagielka (29) CB - Supposedly our best CB but he's been a bit gash this year even before his injury.
Duffy (20) CB - Had a great run at CB with Heitinga when the injury crisis struck. This kid looks like he will be a great player.

Now our loan players:
Drenthe (24) LM/RM - He can win games single handedly or he can lose them. Looks like he needs coaching and a little love. He's on a free transfer in the summer but he has high wages and needs some work. I would say we have a 50/50 chance of signing him.

Strac (24) Striker - Hardest working player on the pitch every time. He can hold up the ball, finish, and has had some surprisingly neat touches/passes. However he is really slow and is still adjusting. Is he good enough for the premier league? I would be surprised if he cost anything less than 2 million so I don't know what the chances are of us getting him.

Pienaar (30) LM/CAM - Great player, he knows how to get Everton playing, and has a great partnership with Baines. But he has no end product and he is 30 years old. He would cost at least as much as we sold him for (2.5 million).

My targets for the summer is at least one winger, a playmaker, and signing Drenthe.

Looking at our midfield right now we have three wingers, Gueye, Pienaar and Drenthe. Coleman is playing RM because no one else can. By the summer we will only have Gueye left who hasn't really broken into the team.

The only creative forces we have on the team is Baines (a LB) and our loans Pienaar and Drenthe. A playmaker is a must as we've know for a while now that our strikers are struggling without good service down the middle. A young Pienaar and Arteta each costed 2.5 million so surely Moyes has some players in mind. We just need the money.

Except we don't have any and I don't think Kenwright is ready to let go yet so what are we going to do this summer? We need to sell, get some loans at the beginning of the window, and we need to get Vellios/Barkley/Duffy/Gueye/Garbutt game time. Especially Vellios because as soon as Jelavic is injured (and Anichebe who will definitely being injured at some point) he is our number one striker. The sad thing is we have a small squad already so if we sell we need to have money guaranteed for a replacement.

Honestly I think our squad is in a really bad position. Personally, I hate to say it but I'm thinking Rodwell or Jags might be the next to go, especially if we can get that 10 million from Jags that everyone valued him at in the summer.

What are you guys thinking?

I'd try to shift Mucha, Anichebe and Guyeye for a start. If that brings in £5M all well and good. Maybe sell Rodwell, Jagielka or Distin and try to find cheaper alternatives. Barkley and Duffy, and, I hope, Vellios, should step up next season, and maybe a couple more youngsters. Try to keep Drenthe and Straq, and Pienaar if we don't spend too much on him. Bear in mind that Spurs don't want him, which should help.

Without money, it's not an enviable task.

The three positions we need to concentrate on is the 2 wingers and ACM creative playmaker.

Defence - I would happily go again with the same next year. I would like to see Coleman making a push for RB next year tho. Our goals against shows there's not major problems there.

Midfield - In the 2 CM positions we have plenty of good options in Fellani Gibson Rodwell. Backup if needed from Cahill ossie and heitinga plus the young junior who looks a tidy player.
The wingers and ACM are the major problems in our team. The most important positions for winning games and the most expensive! Just looking at city spending around 80M on those positions shows what moyes is up against!

On the wings, if drenthe wants to be here and is willing to learn parts of his game.. Sign him up! Pienaar is a must also even given his age we must secure his return. Donovan is also key for us. If we could get all three I'd be exstactic but 2 of them are a must. 2 wingers must be signed!

Then the ACM Cahill role.. Alot could depend on how good Barkley actually is. If he's what were hoping we could go with him and ossie and cahill backup for that position. But ideally we need to spend here.

Could also do with another striker. A different type to what we got. Maybe rodellaga on a free?

For me give me pienaar, drenthe, straq, rodellaga and Donovan later in the year and I'd be satisfied. If we could stretch to the lad from Swansea on loan from hoffienheim who plays ACM I'd be exstactic.

It's all about the money... If moyes could just have a half decent amount to play with he could make us top 6 I'm sure.

We need a playmaker, someone of quality, who can take a few players out of the game with vision, distribution and techniuqe. All our positive play is down the left with Baines/Pienaar/Roy of the lowlands - its to predictable. There is no varience in our play either centrally or right.

There are to many triers in our team and not enough quality, Neville, Osman, Coleman - would never doubt there commitment or endevour - but despite the odd stand out game, they dont pocess the consistent quality needed to win games. A collection of these types of players in the team seriously undermines our ability to break teams down.

We need someone of Jelavic, i think pace to be honest, the lad has quality, but we wont bring the best out in him untill he has someone who is a foil or who can occupy defenders. Isolating him alone up front or sending in endless cross after cross with just him to worry defenders will get us no where.

Personally i think we need another keeper, i think our keeper should have done better with the goal yesterday, again once or twice he looked shaky on positioning, crossing and his distribution was terrible. How many times was Distin caught on the left side covering for Baines with a Sunderland player bearing down on him, he did terrifically well, but our keeper was there as an available option, he didnt use him once - raises questions for me about the confidence of the rest of the team in our keeper.

send Neville to the glue factory. Jagielka needs to go to the blacksmiths to be reshod. Oh and ten years of Moyes = little consistent right midfield threat. Surely time?

Good thread, mate.

I like our players, and think these can do a job for us next season (agree with your descriptions too):

Strikers (age)

Midfielders

Defenders

The players I haven't listed in your quote I just don't think add to our squad in any meaningful way anymore (sorry cap'n Phil and Tony Tony Hibbert...but thanks for the brilliant service).

The loan players I've left out as I can't see us securing any of them.

So we need back-up strikers (no surprise) and defensive reinforcements. A couple of youngsters coming through in midfield would stock us up nicely too.

Bit kind with a lot of them.

Seamus Coleman isn't a good player. He's quite poor actually.

And as much as I love the guy's excellent work rate and he had a couple of great games against City and Chelsea Denis isn't good enough. Nowhere near.

My opinion:

Goalkeepers are fine. Howard is a reliable, solid keeper. Mucha is a decent back-up, its just a case of wether he is willing to sit on the bench for another year. Hannemann was proven Premier League keeper, but wether he still has that ability is anyones guess after his lack of meaningful game time.

Right back is a cause for concern. Hibbert and Neville have never been anything more than average players who gave it everything, however both seem to be in decline this season. Coleman will move here eventually but where too short winger wise at the momen. The youngster Browning hasn't impressed in the couple of reserve games I've seen him in to warrant a first team call up.

Left back is another massive concern, should Baines get injured we're left with 2 relatively inexperienced youngsters. We always have the option of shifting Neville there but he isn't the best in his favoured postion.

Centre halfs are fine for me. Heitinga has been immense, I've every faith Jagielka will find the form that made him and England international, Distin despite his age should still be in the first team fold, however i'd like to see Heitinga and Jagielka as our first choice pairing. Duffy is also another option for backup.

Left midfield is a concern. Come summer we will be left with Guaye. He's a bit raw at the moment but I feel with abit more game time he can become a decent, useful player.

Right midfield is another concern. We will only have Coleman whose long term future is at rightback. Osman is an option.

Centre midfieldis a tricky one, we have Fellaini and Rodwell who as yet Im unsure of the best role for the both of them. I don't rate Gibson at all, he should be nothing more than a squad player for us. Barkley is another one whose best position is unknown and also seems abit injury prone. Osman is decent source of creativity but lacks the physical presence that I'd like to see in the middle. Cahill has never been an out and out central midfielder and is much better playing off the front man, however his form has dipped dramatically this season (Saturday being an exception)

Our striking department is a joke. I think Jelavic will be a decent player for us, I don't rate Anichebe at all, Vellios seems like a decent player but I've not seen enough of him.

Loanees: Pienaar is a player i rate highly, if we could get him back for what we sold him for or less that would be great. Strac is a trier, I'd try to take him for another year and see how he goes, I wouldn't part with any cash for him. Drenthe I feel is a lost cause, undoubtded talent but we don't see it often enough, also has a bad attitude.

I'd listen to offers for Rodwell, although I think he's a good player I do think that he is somewhat overrated. I'd get rid of Anichebe ASAP.

I wouldn't want to change to much too soon, with that being said Id keep hold of Pienaar, look to sign a creative midfielder, and quick striker as priority. If we could fill those two positions I'd be on the look out for a right winger.

My squad for 2012/13

Goalkeeper: Howard, Mucha, Hahnemann

Left Back: Baines, Garbutt (I'd give him some first team exposure in Carling Cup etc)

Right Back: Neville, Hibbert

Centre Back: Jagielka, Heitinga, Distin, Duffy

Right Midfield: Coleman, Osman as Cover

Left Midfield: Pienaar, Guaye

Central Midfield: Felliani, A new creative player, Rodwell, Barkley, Osman, Gibson

Strikers: Jelavic, a new pacey striker, Vellios, Cahill

I'd also blood in some youngsters. Looking beyond next season, depending on where Coleman ends up playing we'l need a right winger or right back.

Who Id Sign

Creative Midfielder: Gylfi Sigurdsson

Pacey Striker: Kevin Doyle

Bit kind with a lot of them.

Seamus Coleman isn't a good player. He's quite poor actually.

And as much as I love the guy's excellent work rate and he had a couple of great games against City and Chelsea Denis isn't good enough. Nowhere near.

i agree but he would be better then hibbert and neville at right back and going forward he would be able to use his pace to overlap

Status
Not open for further replies.