Smith signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatara

Player Valuation: £90m
Was just reading the Pirlo thread in World Football and links on his comments about Gattuso. Gattuso came from Perugia to Rangers and so very similar to materazzi coming to us from the same club.

Just thinking that the same Materazzi and Dacourt would be the perfect additions to our side--back then, young and highly talented players who could slot in next to jags/stones and mccarthy.

Gutted when we sold them. Should have sliced bakayoko collins and simonsen instead.

Smith was horrendous at setting up a team. However, he made a few good signings for us. Weir 250k, Carsley £1.7 million. Campbell on loan then bought for £3million. Not a bad spine at all for £4.95 million.

Specifically to Smith, he also signed some dross - Ginola and Gascoigne, by that point for both, were relativity poor.

Some good, some bad like most managers.

Dacourt, Materazzi, Weir, Stubbs, Carsley, Gravesen, Campbell, etc

For every one of them there's a Stephen Hughes, Ginola, Gascoigne, Cleland, Nyarko, Pistone, Tal, etc

Wish we could have held onto dacourt, his second season we actually played some decent stuff for pretty much the only time in his reign, campbell, jeffers, barmby, collins, hutchinson, gough and weir, that side was okay, it wasn't to last though, and by the end him and kenwright were a recipe for relegation

We had an awful squad back then. Dacourt, Materazzi, Weir, Ball and Barmby the only players that would make our squad now. Campbell on loan wasn't too bad either, virtually kept us up by himself.

Smith was horrendous at setting up a team.

I disagree. He made great starts on a couple of occasions but failed to deal with the emerging "player power" at the time which allowed Dacourt and the likes to beggar off. Utter panic and despair had set in by the time he signed Ginola........

Although why he signed Joe Max Moore and not play him even though he was the only fit striker in the squad was more than a bit odd

I disagree. He made great starts on a couple of occasions but failed to deal with the emerging "player power" at the time which allowed Dacourt and the likes to beggar off. Utter panic and despair had set in by the time he signed Ginola........

Although why he signed Joe Max Moore and not play him even though he was the only fit striker in the squad was more than a bit odd

Dacourt and the like buggering off had little to do with player power and more to do with Johnson spending money we didn't have.

I'd say a manager who I most remember for playing centre backs at full back was poor at setting up a team. David Moyes showed Smith up for what he was - a crap manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.